Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As a designer who's done some packaging work before, I was curious how GEG was intending on handling the packaging itself for the main Cthulhu Wars boxed game. I'm interested in how all those plastic miniatures are going to be stored in a brand new box. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, I haven't seen anything about it yet.

1) I would imagine, given their size, the miniatures would be individually created in the production process, or are they going to be on plastic sprues with all the figures needing to be individually clipped/cut out? If on sprues, will any pieces need to be assembled/glued together before use? If individual figures, what's the plan to keep them from getting jumbled about in the box during transit?

2) Given the sheer number of individual miniatures, do we have any recourse if any of the figs get damaged in-transit or malformed during the production process?

3) I'm guessing you're still getting this worked out, but any idea on what the dimensions of the box itself will be?

4) When the free individual expansion GOOs are sent out, are those going to be in individual "booster" packs or all packaged together?

5) Also, minor question unrelated to the packaging, but the current draft of the rules list the power markers as "(faction-specific)". However, the product shots on the kickstarter page seem to suggest that they're all the same. Is the artwork for the power markers all the same or unique to each faction?

Most (99.99%) of these questions aren't any kind of deal breakers for me, just curious about what to expect when Cthulhu comes knocking at my door.

Also, for everyone else:

Poll
How does everyone plan on storing their Cthulhu Wars miniatures?
Original box
Display shelves
Magnetic bases/metal box
Foam-lined, combination lock case
Custom storage solution
      48 answers
Poll created by paddirn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to store each faction in its own box that looks like a giant tome (using something like these paper mache book boxes from Hobby Lobby)

Yes, it will fill up the shelf with my Call of Cthulhu stuff, Mansions of Madness, and Arkham Horror custom boxes.

Cthulhu: Prof. Angel's box
Nyarlathotep: Liber Ivonis
Hastur: Duh.
Shub-Niggurath: ???
Yog Sothoth: Necronomicon
Tsathoggua: De Vermis Mysteriis
Ithaqua: ???
Azathoth: Azathoth and Other Horrors
Base game components: Cultes Des Goules
Maybe Unaussprechlichen Kulten for the solo GOO's, if they won't fit

Anybody interested in making props like this should check out the great stuff at http://www.cthulhulives.org as well as http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/ (an invaluable resource with tons of ideas, inspiration, tutorials, and links).

I could use some help with better ideas for tomes, esp. Shub and Ithaqua. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to my game closet being somewhat limited, I'm hoping that the original box has enough room for all this STUFF! (Including expansions.)

I hate the 'coffin' sized boxes, but due to the nature and size of the game, I don't see a way to avoid it.

Failing that, I'm hoping that it will comfortably split into two similarly shaped boxes. (Potentially one for figures, and one for everything else.)

Above all, I'm hoping that the length dimension of the box is pretty standard in the industry. There's nothing worse than having to go all Tetris with your game boxes each and every time you want to play something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Love the idea for Tome miniature holders, I'm assuming the sides actually look like pages of a book? Unfortunately, Shub & Ithaqua don't seem to have many cool Mythos tomes devoted to them. I think Shub is also mentioned in the Necronomicon, while Ithaqua isn't mentioned as being in any books other than the plainly titled "Ithaqua" and "The Wendigo" stories. Maybe just use the faction symbols on the covers without text or write out text for those in a foreign script (possibly arabic for shub)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Love the idea for Tome miniature holders, I'm assuming the sides actually look like pages of a book? Unfortunately, Shub & Ithaqua don't seem to have many cool Mythos tomes devoted to them. I think Shub is also mentioned in the Necronomicon, while Ithaqua isn't mentioned as being in any books other than the plainly titled "Ithaqua" and "The Wendigo" stories. Maybe just use the faction symbols on the covers without text or write out text for those in a foreign script (possibly arabic for shub)?
Awesome! What would be even better is if this could be an addon to the pledge to get official printed versions of these with artwork. This would truly be a premium and unique Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
I plan to store each faction in its own box that looks like a giant tome (using something like these paper mache book boxes from Hobby Lobby)

Yes, it will fill up the shelf with my Call of Cthulhu stuff, Mansions of Madness, and Arkham Horror custom boxes.

Anybody interested in making props like this should check out the great stuff at http://www.cthulhulives.org as well as http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/ (an invaluable resource with tons of ideas, inspiration, tutorials, and links).

I could use some help with better ideas for tomes, esp. Shub and Ithaqua. Any ideas?
While this is a really cool idea, I doubt most gamers have the room for this kind of thing. I know I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:

Great idea! I think I'm going to steal it!whistle

Eight "books" of CW factions will look so cool in our game library I don't think I can resist the allure. Thanks much for the great idea.

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
As a designer who's done some packaging work before, I was curious how GEG was intending on handling the packaging itself for the main Cthulhu Wars boxed game. I'm interested in how all those plastic miniatures are going to be stored in a brand new box. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, I haven't seen anything about it yet.

1) I would imagine, given their size, the miniatures would be individually created in the production process, or are they going to be on plastic sprues with all the figures needing to be individually clipped/cut out? If on sprues, will any pieces need to be assembled/glued together before use? If individual figures, what's the plan to keep them from getting jumbled about in the box during transit?

2) Given the sheer number of individual miniatures, do we have any recourse if any of the figs get damaged in-transit or malformed during the production process?

3) I'm guessing you're still getting this worked out, but any idea on what the dimensions of the box itself will be?

4) When the free individual expansion GOOs are sent out, are those going to be in individual "booster" packs or all packaged together?

5) Also, minor question unrelated to the packaging, but the current draft of the rules list the power markers as "(faction-specific)". However, the product shots on the kickstarter page seem to suggest that they're all the same. Is the artwork for the power markers all the same or unique to each faction?

Most (99.99%) of these questions aren't any kind of deal breakers for me, just curious about what to expect when Cthulhu comes knocking at my door.
In reply:

1) the miniatures are not going to be plastic sprues if I have anything to say about it. I think we are going to be forced to have the largest figures (the Great Old Ones) be in 2-3 pieces which need to be snapped together. The plan is to have the figures as easy to assemble and work with as the figures in Descent first edition. That is our model. Probably they will just be in bags in the box so they will jumble a bit. However, they don't really have narrow breakable parts.

2) We want people to be happy so we will follow industry standards for replacing damaged figures.

3) We are still arguing about the box dimensions. Apparently the size we'd originally decided on is too big for Amazon's standard shipping container so if we shrink it, then perhaps we can ship via Amazon to Europe and are looking at how to do that. On the other hand there is a LOT of stuff in the box so CAN we shrink it? Under examination now.

4) the individual G.O.O.s will come in separate containers.

5) the power markers are individual to each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the collapsability of the board can assist in reducing the box dimensions. Red, for example, has a big, beautiful board, yet folds six ways into a tight square. This configuration could save length on any proposed box dimensions. (Though I have no illusions of a tight square configuration, . )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:

Thanks for the idea.
I really like it.
Having the book of books (War of the Ring CE), it will be great to have a few 'pocket-books' for 'lighter reading'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm chomping at the bit and would like to start working on my thematic storage solution before I get the models (yes, I'm "that guy").
Do we know final dimensions of the board?
Of the player sheets/cards?
I would appreciate knowing those as soon as possible. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls