Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Anyone,

maybe I am a bit thick, but I just don't get this part of the rules - specifically the one space removed part..

In this pic, can the defender (Howard) use tokens of the named corps (2 blocks required), i.e. is this what is meant with adj. once removed (page 8, bottom left)?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Martin
Senegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're thick. I think this would have been an excellent place to give us an example situation in the rules.

As I understand it, "adjacent once removed" implies a 'string' of matching units. The rule says it must be adjacent to a matching block that is itself adjacent to the artillery position. So, there would need to be a Howard unit in the empty position between the 2 Howard units in order for the far left Howard unit to be "adjacent once removed."

Thus, it would seem the "adjacent once removed" thing can only help you with Confed Corps or Union Reserve arty, since they require 3 blocks.

I say all of the above with a confidence level of perhaps 60%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Bill is correct. The above wouldn't work, but if there wash another infantry block between them you could use a Reserve token in any of the three positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill is correct.

Also, remember that CSA Corps / USA Reserve artillery have use requirements for units that have entered in addition to their requirements for nearby units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers given above are all correct. An additional matching block would be required between the two Union blocks shown in order for to qualify as adjacent once removed.

To firmly grasp why, let's break down the rule text into its constituent parts:

(A) A block is adjacent once removed if

(B) it is adjacent to a position containing a matching block

(C) that is itself adjacent to the artillery position.

Now, the left Union block (let's call it H1) in the illustration is not adjacent once removed to the right Union block (let's call it H3) because it fails on part B of the rule: it is not adjacent to a position containing a matching block.

If, however, another Howard Block (let's call it H2) were in the position between H1 and H3, then H1 WOULD be adjacent once removed to H3: H1 would pass part B of the rule, because it would be adjacent to a matching block (H2) and would also pass part C, because H2 would itself be adjacent to H3.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are brilliant answers - many thanks Bowen and all others (it's Saturday after all!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls