Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like this game most with 4 players.
5p gets very cramped and often the last player can't do anything beneficial anymore. On the other hand, the downside of the 3p game is that you have to place 2 agents at the beginning without much information.

However, all numbers of players are great fun (just not as perfect as 4 player). I would rate them as follows: 4p > 5p >= 3p.

I already posted a 2p-variant, where the players alternate in placing a dummy color between their turns. However, this did not work too well, as by placing the dummy you could never know, if it wouldn't hurt you more than your opponent.

Nevertheless, my girlfiend and I tried another 2p-variant (again with a dummy), which we found as much fun as the 3p game:

1. Deal 4 piles of 2 shares each. Each player chooses one pile, the remaining 4 cards are the shares for the dummy (which are kept secret).

2. The game is played like a 3p-game, i.e. two agents per color are placed, before the boats are moved for the first time. The dummy does not bid for harbormaster and does not get paid for his agents (although the payout for the other players is reduced by his share, e.g. the payout of a boat with one player agent and one dummy agent is halfed).

3. The dummy player always places between the harbormaster and the second player (EXCEPTION: see section 5.)

To place a dummy agent, the remaining die (which is not associated with a loadad good) is rolled. Depending on the number rolled, the agent is placed on the corresponding area:
1 = Shipyard: cheapest free space (A before B before C)
2 = Insurance agent
3 = Boat: frontmost boat, in case of a tie the boat that would give the highest return at that moment (e.g. ginseng and silk are both on space 8 with one other agent on them --> Ginseng-return: ((18/2)-2)=7, Silk-return: ((30/2)-4)=11 --> place on silk boat)
4 = Pilots: Small pilot before big pilot (effects are not used by dummy, he only blocks)
5 = Pirates: Dummy never sits on Captain space, unless 2 dummies are the pirates. In this case, if the boat is plundered, it goes to the harbor. Dummies only board, if there is an empty space on the boat.
6 = Harbor: cheapest free space, A before B before C

If the rolled number is already occupied, the dummy places on the next higher number (e.g. insurance agent occupied --> go to a boat), going around at the top from 6 to 1.
In this way, it is ensured, that more agents are placed on the boats, than on the other spaces (as the boats will seldomly fill up), which is similar to an "only human game".

4. With two players, there is the danger, that in one round the harbormaster was bid up high and the winner gets unlucky and has almost no money to start the next round. Then the other player could get the harbormaster role extremely cheap, perhaps even two or more times in a row.
Therefore, the minimal bid for harbormaster is always half of the winning bid in the round before (we simply put this money in an extra pile near the board to keep track).

5. If nobody is willing to pay this minimal bid (rather unlikely), the dummy will become harbormaster for free. He will act like this:
a) One of his 4 hidden shares is drawn. This is the one good, that is NOT put onto a boat.
b) The dummy restocks his hand of 4 shares, by randomly choosing between the still available types of goods
c) All ships start at space 3
d) The former harbourmaster goes behind the dummy, the other player is last.

I know it does sound a little complicated, but it does play very smoothly. When placing the dummy agent after the die roll, just start at the top of the board and count the placing areas clockwise, to determine where to place.

We played this variation 3 times now and found it quite enjoyable, although an additional element of luck is introduced into the game, by placing the dummy agents based on dice rolling.

If you try this variant, let me know what you think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Moreira Filho
Brazil
DF
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played today this variant with my girl. Worked really nice. Congrats for sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and decided to try it 2 player. This variant is great (played is 3 times tonight). It is simple and quick to apply the dummy workers (and effective). It seemed about 40% of the dummy worker placements blocked a players move. The dummy gets blown away in money each game as he only has shares but the blocking is the real function (and keeping a few shares from the players).

Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got the game. We have loved 3,4 and 5 player Manila before buying this, but have been surprised by the fun of the 2 player variant explained above.

We found one change to the above game that made the dummy interfere more with our placements. During the first two placements we change the rolls as follows:

2 - Left Boat
3 - Middle Boat
4 - Right Boat

With so many open spots, it seems that the boats were under represented in Dirk's (as we like to call him from Alhambra) space selection and insurance was over represented with the original variant.

Hope someone else finds this useful. We love Manila.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Bourgeois
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This variant is very interresting but I wanted more interraction by the dummy player. So, I've put some modification to your variant here in BOLD RED font.

1. Deal 4 piles of 2 shares each. Each player chooses one pile, the remaining 4 cards are the shares for the dummy (which are kept secret).

2. The game is played like a 3p-game, i.e. two agents per color are placed, before the boats are moved for the first time. The dummy does not bid for harbormaster and does not get paid for his agents (although the payout for the other players is reduced by his share, e.g. the payout of a boat with one player agent and one dummy agent is halfed).

3. The dummy player always places between the harbormaster and the second player (EXCEPTION: see section 5.)

To place a dummy agent, the remaining die (which is not associated with a loadad good) is rolled. Depending on the number rolled, the agent is placed on the corresponding area:
1 = Shipyard: cheapest free space (A before B before C)
2 = Insurance agent
3 - Boat: frontmost boat, in case of a tie the boat that would give the highest return at that moment (e.g. ginseng and silk are both on space 8 with one other agent on them --> Ginseng-return: ((18/2)-2)=7, Silk-return: ((30/2)-4)=11 --> place on silk boat)
4 = Pilots: Small pilot before big pilot. Effects : Small pilot, +1 to the endmost boat, Big pilot, -2 for the frontmost boat. If there is a tie for the endmost boat, dummy advance the one with the lowest goods value. If there is a tie for the frontmost boat, dummy move backward the one with the highest goods value.
5 = Pirates: Dummy never sits on Captain space, unless 2 dummies are the pirates. Effects : Always boarding the boat with the highest goods value first, one pirate per boat maximum. The pirate is put on the first available space on that boat, if there is no available space, the pirate is put on the highest space non-dummy player by remplacing the player's token. If a boat is plundered, it goes to the harbor.
6 = Harbor: cheapest free space, A before B before C

If the rolled number is already occupied, the dummy places on the next higher number (e.g. insurance agent occupied --> go to a boat), going around at the top from 6 to 1.

4. The minimal bid for harbormaster is always half of the winning bid in the round before (we simply put this money in an extra pile near the board to keep track).

5. If nobody is willing to pay this minimal bid, the dummy will become harbormaster for free. He will act like this:
a) One of his 4 hidden shares is drawn. This is the one good, that is NOT put onto a boat. Put back this share into his hidden shares.
b) Take one of each remaining share, shuffle it and draw one that you put hidden in dummy's hand.
c) All ships start at space 3
d) The former harbourmaster goes behind the dummy, the other player is last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting additions to the variant. I like the idea of the dummy not just blocking on the pilot and pirate, but doing something with these spots. I'll have to give this a try next go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this variant listed above, but did not try it with the red lettering yet. I'll think it over, but the game made 4th on my rankings list with the variant listed above. It was really fun. Thank you for the variant. If I had geekgold I'd give you some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the OP variant last night and it worked well. It feels like playing roulette at vegas with my fiancée. Thanks for thinking it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played it with my wife last night.. worked very cleanly.. we didn't implement the minimum harbormaster bid at 1/2 the previous, we just bid as we saw fit and didn't include the dummy player in the bid process.

My wife and I both enjoyed it.

Thanks for taking the time to work out the variant details and posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.