Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norm Tardi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: In a row?Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Hey all,

I'm going to be traveling down to Minneapolis next week to take in a couple of Twins games with my dad and my son and was wondering if there was anything I should make sure to do while I'm there.

So far the plans are to go to Nickelodeon Universe and the Lego store in the Mall of America, and probably FFG's event centre. Is there any good game stores I should make sure not to miss? Or any other big attractions that would be good for me the gamer or him the 6 year old boy? (My dad is already happy to be seeing some baseball so we're not worried about him)

We're coming down from Manitoba so anything on the road down is up for grabs too.

Thanks much,
N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
Re: Taking a trip
For you "The Source" is a nice big well stocked game/comic/hobby shop that I enjoy visiting. If your son likes zoos both the Minnesota Zoo and Como Zoo are fun. Minnesota is bigger and has a dinosaur exhibit (life sized that move via hydraulics) running right now... but Como is free...

Have fun on your trip! (and I might put you destination in your title to attract more attention from locals...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Tardi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: In a row?Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
ZackStack wrote:
For you "The Source" is a nice big well stocked game/comic/hobby shop that I enjoy visiting. If your son likes zoos both the Minnesota Zoo and Como Zoo are fun. Minnesota is bigger and has a dinosaur exhibit (life sized that move via hydraulics) running right now... but Como is free...
Cool, thanks.

ZackStack wrote:
Have fun on your trip! (and I might put you destination in your title to attract more attention from locals...)
Good point, thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BGG is a communityMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: LGBTQ ally
I second the Source. Great place (but terrible website). They also have a variety of game nights and events which you might be here for. You're likely to get more of a reply in this thread: Minneapolis/Saint Paul Gamers?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriks Dunens

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Games Games Games
badge
...Games Games
Microbadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
If you like outdoor/nature things, Minnehaha Falls is in South Minneapolis, pretty easily accessible by public transportation, and offers some nice park space to enjoy. http://www.minneapolisparks.org/?PageID=4&parkid=252

With all the rain and storms we've been having lately, you'll likely see the Falls looking fairly strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - ShadowsMicrobadge: Warhammer 40,000 fanMicrobadge: I play at the Waconia Brewing CompanyMicrobadge: Aeon's End fan
The source and minnehaha falls. Both are great places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love the UK!Microbadge: World TravellerMicrobadge: X-Men fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: I love Switzerland!
The Twin Cities doesn't have much in the order of tourist attractions outside of Target Field and MOA, but I agree that both zoos are great.

Where we shine is great places to eat (lots of locally owned locally sourced food joints and brewpubs), and some pretty awesome game shops. The Source and FFG Event Center are a short drive from each other, and two of the best game stores in the country IMO. As for food, it depends on what you like to eat and how much you want to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls