Subject: Doubt about the rules + Suggestion needed + Feedback on manual rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great game!
After looking around for a very long time, I think I've found what I need for my language class. I tried some other hidden identity games and had good experiences, but this one seems to be by far the best: light, quick, talkative and without player elimination. Thanks to the designers!

I have some questions regarding the roleset to be used with odd number of players (even after reading the forum). I plan to start with just basics (Pres, Bomb, Blue & Red), so according to the rulebook I have two options with odd numbers:
- bury a card (sounds ok with many players but unbalancing with few)
If I bury a card, may I skip The President's Daughter and The Martyr and use the variant described on page 13, i.e. take Pres and Bomb out of the deck, bury a card, then put Pres and Bomb back and shuffle?
- not bury a card and use a grey card instead: Hot Potato with many players, but with few? Rules suggest Private Investigator (p. 11), but the card rules (p. 31) say it needs a buried card, so I'm confused about it. Which is a good choice for a grey card for a beginner's group of 7 or 9?

Finally, a comment about the rulebook. I find it a good starting point to play the game, but below par if compared to, say, Ultimate Werewolf. Opening a 41-page booklet for a party game was a bit overwhelming. As the rulebook IS the game in these cases, I would humbly suggest dividing it into two sections: (I would even have them physically separated, as the first could fit into a single sheet of paper)
1) quick beginner's guide w/ suggested basic setups
2) advanced play:
- advanced rules & variants
- suggested playsets
- Annex: card list

Just my 2c.
Thanks again for such a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tommaso. First few games might be a bit unbalanced, as players won't know for sure what strategies are good. So don't hesitate to just bury one card. Your idea to make sure that Pres and Bomber are not buried is a good one - two less roles to teach.

If you'd like to go with a Gray role, you can add MI6 (has to co-reveal with Pres and Bomber). I think he's as neutral as it gets. You could also try less neutral Gray - Intern. His goal is to end in the same room as the President. His natural ally is Blue, but you don't need to tell that to others and let them figure it out on their own.
My group likes Hot Potato, but it might be confusing for new players (with role swapping). Don't forget to include him later though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Good gray roles that let you play with odd numbers but no bury:

- gambler (my recommendation to you)
- MI6
- sniper, target, decoy (these are some of my favs)
- Hot Potato (makes for crazy games)

I actually prefer all of these grays to the "paired up" grays like Intern and Rival, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yessss it's Tommaso! I knew you'd find this game sooner or later (I first heard of you via the Oriente page).

With regards to creating a deck with a buried card that is guaranteed to include the President & Bomber: You absolutely could do this.

However, it removes some of the suspense. A big part of the excitement of having a buried deck is you don't exactly know who the important VIP is.

But if you're playing with a beginner's group of 7 or 9, sure, why not?

Recommended grey cards for a beginner's group, in my opinion:
Rival
Survivor
Intern
Victim
MI6
Gambler

For Alan/Sean: If it was cheaper, I think I'd support Tommaso's idea of having 2 documents in the 2R1B box - one for rules and one for card descriptions. That kind of makes sense to me (Dominion does it this way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, excellent suggestions!

I really believe that a question like mine should find an answer in the manual. To me, the full list of roles in alphabetical order was counterintuitive, it would be easier to understand if they were grouped e.g. Sniper-Target-Decoy, "roles for odd player count" and so on.

mmazala wrote:
Yessss it's Tommaso!

Funny you remember my name, but then, there shouldn't be that many people with my name around here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommaso 73 wrote:

I really believe that a question like mine should find an answer in the manual. To me, the full list of roles in alphabetical order was counterintuitive, it would be easier to understand if they were grouped e.g. Sniper-Target-Decoy, "roles for odd player count" and so on.

Because of great playtester input/feedback, the character manual will have both the alphabetical list of characters and also character groups. Hats off to ErintheRed for showing us a great way it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I don't flirt. I just say what I want." -JJ
badge
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." -Cordelia
mbmbmbmbmb
Doberman wrote:
Tommaso 73 wrote:

Because of great playtester input/feedback, the character manual will have both the alphabetical list of characters and also character groups. Hats off to ErintheRed for showing us a great way it can be done.

Does that mean I shouldn't go posting my chart on the files section here??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:
Doberman wrote:
Tommaso 73 wrote:

Does that mean I shouldn't go posting my chart on the files section here??

No, please keep posting. Keep up all the good work... slave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.