Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary a new license? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So my buddy and I were watching an interview, I'll try and find it and link it later, but it was hinted that another Legendary license may be in the works meaning not Marvel. But this new license could be played in conjunction with Legendary Marvel.

This got our heads spinning, followed by a debate.

We went over the possible vast universes we could think of that could support a growing game like Marvel. We also discussed prior Upper Deck licenses and have come up with 2 possibilities.

DC and Transformers.

DC would fit well but there may be a licensing issue seeing as there is a DC DBG out now.

Marvel did a run of comics that collided with the Transformer universe, so that is an option.

What do you all think? What universe could possibly be the next Legendary license?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokémon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum Djinn wrote:
Pokémon!

shake.../facepalm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid as it sounds, How cool would streetfighter/Capcom be (marvel vs Capcom) And I know UFS couldn't get the streetfighter license, but don't know why?

lol...even start trek has had marvel crossovers!? But Bandai has a DBG with that license, but Ill admit Im not 100% on how it all works with brands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE if it were Transformers, but I don't see how that ties into the green Legendary logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:
Stupid as it sounds, How cool would streetfighter/Capcom be (marvel vs Capcom) And I know UFS couldn't get the streetfighter license, but don't know why?

lol...even start trek has had marvel crossovers!? But Bandai has a DBG with that license, but Ill admit Im not 100% on how it all works with brands.

Hmmm you could be on to something here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not many people know that street fighter actually has a quite deep backstory with a lot of things that wouldn't seem out of place in the Marvel-Universe, I would love it if it was.

I cant really think of any other franchise that would use the legendary mechanic that would fit so well? i.e instead of streets, on the SF board it would be locations of the areanas, and you would have to beat other characters on them. the 4 different versions of a character would also lend it self to iconic specials rather well IMO.

And nobody actually said its 100% match between the 2 games, it could be like heroclix/horrorclix- and some parts of the game you just disreguard when adding it in to marvel legendary ect.

Transformers would be cool too-but I don't know a lot about them nowadays, I actually have the mini arc of comics with transformers VS avengers, but other then that wouldn't it be totally weird having massive robots with super heroes?

LMAO!...as I finished typing I thought Plants vs Zombies would rund good on legendary mechanics lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running along the same vein as X-men vs Street Fighter huh? I LIKE IT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellboy/Dark Horse ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Harris
United States
Independence
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Image has a huge universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
didnt they hint at as saying it will be a "green" expansion?

Ninja turtles anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:
didnt they hint at as saying it will be a "green" expansion? ?

The expansion will be printed on 100% recycled material and the set itself will consist of park rangers, members from the EPA, perhaps Smokey the bear, a teary eyed Native American and trees... lots of trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Halo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility could be Star Wars since Disney owned that and Marvel.

I just figure that they are looking at a vast universe where there are a large amount of heroes and villains to draw from. Seeing as how Legendary Marvel has one expansion out and planing one small one in November (Fantastic Four) and another small in February of 2014 followed by another large one in June of 2014, that's a lot of heroes and villains.

Unfortunately I think the need for characters to fuel expansions pushes out Halo and TMNT even though I think both would be fun.

So I am left thinking of the following being true possibilities:
DC (large universe but not as well known outside the Justice League. Natural pick to pitch super heroes in with super heroes)

Transformers (there are a lot more than you think with the animal and dino variations to name a few. Marvel and Transformers did do a comic series together for a while)

Star Wars (although cool and very large universe, I don't think it would be a good fit and most of the added characters would likely come from the numerous books which would make most of them unfamiliar to anyone who hasn't read them)

Capcom (larger universe than most think but have had relationships with Marvel in the past)

Disney also does Kingdom Hearts but if they try and pit Goofy against Loki, I am going to let the Mastermind win every time. Uhyuck.

My argument is I think Upper Deck is going to play it safe. They had the World of Warcraft TCG license for a while before they lost it. I think they had Verses too (might be wrong). I think they may be a bit cautious trying to get back into the gaming market.

I think they will play it safe and grab another universe we all grew up with. Face it. Legendary Marvel is a great game, but most of us picked it up because it was Marvel characters. Guys we grew up with and knew of without opening the box. Therefore I firmly believe they will play it safe and use that same model to pick up DC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would DC want to be associated with a Marvel product though seeing they only had a DBG launch a few months back? As this will be direct competition for that one (ie- what DC game do you want the expansions for DC legends or DC dbg?)

Is there any possibility that its something like IDW comics? I think-last I remember, they have transformers, Star trek, G.I Joe, and their own universe of super powered heroes...hell even MTG has a comic with them, although WotC wouldn't ever be interested in a rival card slinging game lol.

Would Wow be any good for the legendary mechanic? I know nothing about it.

We should start a new thread with just a list of licenses, keep it updated and take bets on what you think its going to be lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Cryptizoic has DC and they took WoW from UDE as well so that's out of the question...

Capcom would actually be the most logical choice if u think about it. The MvC series is very popular among the gaming comunity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fonzy Griego
United States
flag msg tools
MysticMist wrote:
Cryptizoic has DC and they took WoW from UDE as well so that's out of the question...

Capcom would actually be the most logical choice if u think about it. The MvC series is very popular among the gaming comunity

Cryptizoic also has the license to capcom. It will be playable with the DC set. It was originally announced last year but it has been delayed over and over again.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/cryptozoic-announces-capc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh brother, they're gonna do an obligatory Cthulhu set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G.I.Joe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to some licenses they held, not actually GI Joe as the game lol.

I think I was on the nose with Capcom though. They have Darkstalkers coming back out in a big way and I know they've just give UFS the mega man license for cards. And MvC has been around since I was maybe 15, in the form of Xmen vs Streetfighter and such early forms so that's atleast 15 years ago? I mean the last MvC had Resident evil and Deadrising characters in too! lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Downboy wrote:
Cryptizoic also has the license to capcom. It will be playable with the DC set. It was originally announced last year but it has been delayed over and over again.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/cryptozoic-announces-capc...

Well damn. Didn't know they had rights to capcom as well. I really hope they dont make a dbg compatible with the DC one, I've seen it played and it looksvery boring. Is there anyway to lose to the game itself?

Capcom with Legendary would be amazing. Bison as a mastermind (possibly Akuma too even though he's not evil but not really good either) And if the RE one wasn't out they could add that too. With Wesker being the MM and Nemisis being the bigger villain.

So many options but licensing is a bitch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads pop up constantly, and they're always full of people who don't understand licensing.

Capcom and DC are off the table unless Cryptozoic loses them.

Hasbro owns Transformers and G.I.Joe, so any gaming product using those franchises would be released through Wizards of the Coast.

Bandai has Star Trek. Fantasy Flight does have multiple Star Wars games, but depending on how that licensing deal is set up, it's not out of the question. Also, the Fantasy Flight deals were in place before Disney bought it, and given Legendarys success, I could see them wanting to get as many hands in the pot as they can.

Given the "green" teaser Brenner threw out a while ago, the only thing that really makes sense is TMNT. The franchise is having quite the resurgence at the moment, with a very successful cartoon series, a hit comic, and multiple toy lines, including LEGOs. Pretty much the only arena Turtles aren't in right now is gaming, and I think everyone can agree they would work perfectly with the Legendary mechanics. My only question is which version would they use? Probably the new cartoon, seeing as that has the most exposure. Hopefully, they'd end up doing more than one set, and we get multiple versions of the characters.

Krang and Shredder Masterminds, Bebop, Rocksteady, Karai, Stockman in the Villain groups, Foot Clan, Stone Soldiers, and Mousers for Henchmen, Technodrome and Secret of the Ooze Schemes.... I mean, seriously, this would pretty much design itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionPax21 wrote:
These threads pop up constantly, and they're always full of people who don't understand licensing.

Hasbro owns Transformers and G.I.Joe, so any gaming product using those franchises would be released through Wizards of the Coast.

Bandai has Star Trek. Fantasy Flight does have multiple Star Wars games, but depending on how that licensing deal is set up, it's not out of the question. Also, the Fantasy Flight deals were in place before Disney bought it, and given Legendarys success, I could see them wanting to get as many hands in the pot as they can.

Given the "green" teaser Brenner threw out a while ago, the only thing that really makes sense is TMNT. The franchise is having quite the resurgence at the moment, with a very successful cartoon series, a hit comic, and multiple toy lines, including LEGOs. Pretty much the only arena Turtles aren't in right now is gaming, and I think everyone can agree they would work perfectly with the Legendary mechanics. My only question is which version would they use? Probably the new cartoon, seeing as that has the most exposure. Hopefully, they'd end up doing more than one set, and we get multiple versions of the characters.

Krang and Shredder Masterminds, Bebop, Rocksteady, Karai, Stockman in the Villain groups, Foot Clan, Stone Soldiers, and Mousers for Henchmen, Technodrome and Secret of the Ooze Schemes.... I mean, seriously, this would pretty much design itself.

Thanks for chiming in! I think a Legendary TMNT game would be awesome but my only question is would the expansions then be based more on Villains than Heroes?

Even if they did multiple variations of the TMNT Hero cast, I think that a list of possible expansions for a TMNT license would dry up pretty quick seeing as we have 31 Heroes in LM now with multiple expansions planned. I just don't know if the TMNT universe could keep pace with Marvel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionPax21 wrote:

Well Jasco(?) owns Ultimate Fighting System (UFS) and have multiple Capcom licenses signed right now, so Crypto' cant be only guys that can use this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green?...What about a DC green lantern based set? Theres so many lanterns and the other colours too?

It is a comic license, and is different enough that it is not a legendary version of DC DBG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.