flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
We need a forum called "Everything else: Computer Problems" I think

I have a question for those in the know.

I have recorded a file (speech) using Audacity. I have the DLL file that lets me save it as an MP3, but the 5 minutes of talking is currently a 5MB file. The source files are a whopping 25 MB.

I've looked for tips on how to reduce the file size but haven't found anything. I'm assuming that I'm just recording at a much higher bitrate than is required for the spoken word.

Can anyone explain to me, carefully and in words of not more than about three syllables, how I can reduce the size of the file? I am planning to re-record it, so if it's a matter of changing some settings (which are currently all set to default values) that can be done too.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1MB a minute sounds about right for 'standard' music MP3 (if there is such a thing) - 128Kb/s, stereo, some kind of reasonable trade-off between encoding time and compression. So it sounds like you have your encoder at the default settings.

For spoken word, you should be able to get away with mono, and bit-rate down to 64Kb/s or even 32Kb/s. (Even the first of those will quarter your file size - half for stereo -> mono, half for 128K -> 64K).

I haven't used Audacity myself, so I'm not familiar with exactly where to change the settings, but a quick google seems to think that they should be under Preferences and then File Formats or Quality. (See http://www.podcastingnews.com/articles/Exporting_MP3s_Audaci... for an example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tim.

I can work out HOW to do it, it was WHAT to do that I wasn't sure of.

I'll experiment with those lower bitrates - it should do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
will your web hosting plan allow for this to be transferred/downloaded a lot of times? if you have a limit to bandwidth per month, this could use it all up, and no one will be able to get to the site anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

Ah, OK, wasn't sure from your original posting. Sorry if I came across like I was trying to teach you to suck eggs blush

Quote:

I'll experiment with those lower bitrates - it should do the trick.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
will your web hosting plan allow for this to be transferred/downloaded a lot of times? if you have a limit to bandwidth per month, this could use it all up, and no one will be able to get to the site anymore.

LOL. I doubt it will be anywhere near that exciting.

I have 12 GB of data transfer and rarely even use 1. So it won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
melissa wrote:

Ah, OK, wasn't sure from your original posting. Sorry if I came across like I was trying to teach you to suck eggs blush

And re-reading the thread, I see that I sounded really snotty here. Sorry, Tim. I didn't mean to be rude!

Caps for emphasis doesn't always work the way we intend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.