Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Printing cards? What are you using? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am curious to what you guys/gals are using when you print custom cards? I am trying to find a good thickness of card stock or something so they are as rigid as the real deal.

Thanks for the read and I am looking forward to your responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutherford
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I print them on normal paper and slide them into a card sleeve. I slide in cheap playing cards for thickness. I have also heard of people using trading cards like MTG or Pokemon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed some cards out with artscow.com. if you use the custom deck, you can put an image on the front and back side. They are the thickness of a normal playing card and are almost the exact same size as the Legendary cards. They tend to send coupons all the time for shipping deals/2 for 1/etc. I'm happy with how they look and feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I bought a stack of the thickest standard paper, i think it's 60 stock. They are thinner and flimsier then the real cards, but they print well, and look great in the sleeves, and shuffle well. I'm very happy with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use printer studio. Good quality and very reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
100 lbs card stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
I'm thinking about using artscow, too. Are their cards bigger or smaller than the Legendary cards? If they are bigger, do you still fill the whole card or leave a white border to crop them? I'm really fussy about stuff like this and if you can spot the custom cards from 10 feet away, I don't see the point. I would sleeve the cards, so it doesn't matter what they feel like as long as thickness and overall looks are identical to the original cards. Is artscow the way to go? I'd really like that custom TMNT expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
Really strange, every single time I ask about the quality of artscow playing cards and if they match the originals, the thread INSTANTLY dies and I never get an answer. Asked in the DC Deck-Building-Game forum, the Zombicide Forum, now here, NEVER got an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intending on waiting till I remembered to check exactly, as I cant remember if they're bigger or smaller (Bigger I think), they're within 1-2mm, wont notice through sleeves unless you're actively trying to cheat. The bigger issue might be with getting the colouring on the back the same.

I plan on using printerstudio personally, they're not dead on either, but the cards I've bought from them are higher quality than the ones I got from artscow! (Printerstudio ones are exactly the size of smash up cards with wider corners, if you have a copy of that for reference)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Printed my custom set with 200LB Card Stock Glossy (For reference, Magic is around 280LB). While the cards are bendy, they hold their own when you sleeve them with some good sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Douglas
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I used Artscow to print and part of the card information was missing due to the card border. The next time I added a black border around the card and they look better but now have a small black border around the card. Has anyone used another method for custom printing to get the entire card without a border?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any additional advice on using Artscow for custom Legendary cards. I'm looking at making some, but I've never used Artscow before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
San Gabriel Valley Southern California
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about using printer studio custom image deck cards. Currently making the cards at the moment. 54 cards in total custom printed and have 9 cards ready to go. Hopefully the quality is good, if I do decide to buy them. I shall post a pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fry
msg tools
Greetings. My 2 cents for anyone interested in the subject - as I was and had trouble finding very much information on it.

I made up some custom cards for my brother's Christmas present, and got them printed at Printer Studio. I did the full custom prints front and back, and made my own layouts/templates in Gimp at 600dpi based on scans, vector tracing, and a few icons and stuff that I found around here. I ordered the 300gsm smooth Poker sized deck of 54 cards.

My results:
The cards are a little bit bigger than the originals all the way around. This makes shuffling them in with originals very difficult. We haven't sleeved any cards yet, so unless we take them to a belt sander or grab a pair of scissors, they are very hard to shuffle in cleanly with the originals. We also put one next to a Lord of the Rings card, and the custom card was almost identical in size to the LotR, but not Legendary.

The cards feel real nice, and the printing looks to be of very high quality, but the cards came out lighter than I was expecting both front and back. So in my case, it's obvious when the custom cards are coming up, both because of the slight size difference, and the lighter back. The coloring should be easily solvable, and if I ever decide to do more cards, I'll play around with the brightness and contrast to see if I can get it closer to accurate. Otherwise, the print quality came out top notch.

When playing with my brother's well used set of Legendary, the custom cards "feel" about the same. We threw a couple of the customs in with a brand new copy of Legendary last night, and the custom cards felt just a little off compared to the new cards.

So long story short, my major disappointment was the size difference. Just a mm or so larger from Legendary, or smaller from Printer Studio, and I wouldn't have much room to complain. As if is, if you get your colors right, and you sleeve your cards, I don't think you'll have any complaints from the product offered by Printer Studio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenneth phillips
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I used 110 card stock and feel comparable the only problem is they do not have the finish that a normal card has so it makes sleeves mandatory but for dividers they more than adequate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captnes wrote:
Greetings. My 2 cents for anyone interested in the subject - as I was and had trouble finding very much information on it.

I made up some custom cards for my brother's Christmas present, and got them printed at Printer Studio. I did the full custom prints front and back, and made my own layouts/templates in Gimp at 600dpi based on scans, vector tracing, and a few icons and stuff that I found around here. I ordered the 300gsm smooth Poker sized deck of 54 cards.

My results:
The cards are a little bit bigger than the originals all the way around. This makes shuffling them in with originals very difficult. We haven't sleeved any cards yet, so unless we take them to a belt sander or grab a pair of scissors, they are very hard to shuffle in cleanly with the originals. We also put one next to a Lord of the Rings card, and the custom card was almost identical in size to the LotR, but not Legendary.

The cards feel real nice, and the printing looks to be of very high quality, but the cards came out lighter than I was expecting both front and back. So in my case, it's obvious when the custom cards are coming up, both because of the slight size difference, and the lighter back. The coloring should be easily solvable, and if I ever decide to do more cards, I'll play around with the brightness and contrast to see if I can get it closer to accurate. Otherwise, the print quality came out top notch.

When playing with my brother's well used set of Legendary, the custom cards "feel" about the same. We threw a couple of the customs in with a brand new copy of Legendary last night, and the custom cards felt just a little off compared to the new cards.

So long story short, my major disappointment was the size difference. Just a mm or so larger from Legendary, or smaller from Printer Studio, and I wouldn't have much room to complain. As if is, if you get your colors right, and you sleeve your cards, I don't think you'll have any complaints from the product offered by Printer Studio.

They have a smaller size option now, 63x88mm. MTG standard size I believe. I will print a test copy/mini-expansion.

edit:
Official word on the size:
Brenzor wrote:
ryanking wrote:
hmmm, FFG standard size is 63.5 x 88 (MTG size)...66x91 is an odd size. Do you happen to have the actual card dimensions? I really don't want to use mayday or Ultra Pro sleeves, the quality isn't as good as the FFG sleeves.

Actual card size 63mm x 88mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.