Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Preparations for PBF #6 (looking for players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greetings,

Now that my exams are over, I can start moderating the next PBF.

For this PBF, I'll give you the option to choose from a small selection of variants.
3 out of the 4 participating players will have to be in favor of a variant for it to get used.

Since the "roll for events/regions/wonders" worked rather fine during PBF #5, I wouldn't mind using it for this PBF again. But I'll leave it up to a vote too.

What are the variants?
1. Objectives: Each player starts the game with 2 objectives. Players will not receive an objective during the last round of the game.
2. Culture: Art & Sculpture and Circus & Sports switch places on the Advances board.
3. Alternative Map: Use of a different layout for the 4 player map (see picture below).
4. Variable End Game - Roll to End: As described in the rules p. 23.
5. Self-moderation: Players use geekrolls to determine their events/regions/wonders themself (see description in the following post).

Requirements to join the game:
1. You must own a copy of the game (since I won't send you any card texts).
2. You must have played a few games of Clash of Cultures (i.e. be comfortable with the rules).
3. You must provide me with the following informations:
- Your colour preference(s)
- Your timezone (GMT)
- Yes/No answers to the 5 variants listed above

Entries which do not contain all the required informations will be ignored!

The players will be picked at random, although preference will be given to players who didn't have a chance to participate in a PBF yet, resp. didn't participate so often yet.
Seating order will probably be done according to the players' time zone. First player will be determined randomly.

Be aware that you might end up in a game with an option you didn't vote in favor. If you absolutely do not want to use one of the variants, then don't enter this game!

In accordance with human history, this is a game of conflict. Enter at your civilizations own risk.

From gallery of Redamikanas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PBF #6 rules
If you're sending me a geekmail, please put "PBF6" followed by your player colour in the subject of your geekmail.

The map:
Cities:
You may name your cities. (Max. 10 letters!)

Mood & Culture tokens:
I've added the Culture and Mood tokens to The Scale together with the resources, instead of counting them separately.

Turn track:
The turn track is split in two halves: Rounds 1-3 on top & rounds 4-6(7) at the bottom.
The colour of the turn marker on the turn track indicates which player's turn it currently is. The multi-colored marker will be used to indicate the Status phase.

Events:
Events which have lasting effects will be listed under "Events in play", i.e. Great Persons, Plague, Epidemic, Earthquakes & Volcano.

If you trigger an event, use geekroll to roll 1dx, as indicated above the event list (1d38 at the start of the game).
The result of your die roll will be your triggered event.

In case where I didn't have the chance yet to update the list and you roll a previously triggered event, you simply reroll the die until you get an event that hasn't been triggered yet.

Label your rolls! Insert "Triggered Event:", or something similar, in the "Comment"-section of your roll.

Example: You roll 1d27. A result of 10 will give you the "Civil War" event.

In the event list you'll find some annotations listed between brackets for certain events:
- You: The event only affects you.
- You+: The event affects you and 1 or more other players of your choice.
- All: The event affects all players.
- G: Gold Mine!
- E: Exhausted!
- B+: Barbarians Spawn!
- B>: Barbarians Attack!

Exploring:
If you want to explore a region, use geekroll to roll 1dx, as indicated next to the regions row (1d16 at the start of the game).
Your explored region will be the nth tile (starting at the left) in the row, "n" being your die result, while skipping any already explored regions.
Each region has a number above or underneath its tile, so that you can announce your explored region in your post.

If you explore while I didn't have the chance yet to update the list and you roll a previously explored region, you simply reroll the die until you get a region that hasn't been explored yet.

Label your rolls! Insert "Exploration C3 to D4:", or something similar, in the "Comment"-section of your roll.

Example: You roll 1d10. A result of 7 will give you Region 10.

Wonders:
In order to reveal a Wonder, you use the same method used for exploring regions, i.e. use geekroll to roll 1dx, as indicated next to the Wonders row (1d7 at the start of the game), and you skip any already revealed Wonders.

Example: You roll 1d5. A result of 3 will give you the Mausoleum.

Cards:
You will receive your objective & action cards via geekmail.
I will only send you the card titles.

Posting player moves:
You can help me, and others following the PBF, identifying the different players by posting in your corresponding player color.
Also, please try to be clear on your actions and resources.
Maybe use something like this:

Start: F2 - W0 - O0 - G0 - I0 / MT0 - CT0 / HL0 - CL0

Action 1: Advance: Fishing | –2F +Mt +HL
Action 2: Move: Settler from C3 to C5
Action 3: Activate City I: Collect | +F

End: F1 - W0 - O0 - G0 - I0 / MT1 - CT0 / HL1 - CL0

If it is your turn, please submit your 3 actions in the thread.
If any of them trigger an event, reveal a Wonder, or reveal a region, roll the appropriate die as described above.

You may submit your actions even if the map hasn't been updated yet after the previous players turns. If there is confusion or information missing you will have to wait for an update.

During the first few rounds, and if the moves of the player before you will not influence your decisions at all, you can send me your plans via geekmail if you want too, so I can post them for you if you are currently not available.

Combat:
In order to determine rolls during a combat use the geekroll feature.
Clearly label the different rolls. For example "3 red Armies:" or "1 Barbarian:".

Player trades:
If you want to trade something, simply announce your offer in the PBF thread. The ensuing bartering can be done via geekmail between the players.
The result of the trade will then be announced in this thread, and needs to be confirmed by both of the involved parties.

If you want to exchange or trade away an action and/or objective card, simply announce that you trade a card (or cards) and send me a geekmail with the card name(s).
I'll then send an updated card list to each involved player.

Updates:
You can usually expect at least 1 update from me every day.
To keep the game going it would be great if you could submit at least 1 turn (3 actions) every day. If you are not available for an extended periods please let the other players know when we can expect your next update.

Last but not least:
DO NOT EDIT A POST CONTAINING A DIE ROLL!
Continue your move in a second post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
Microbadge: BGG.CON attendeeMicrobadge: Dallas Games Marathon participant
Awesome! I enjoy watching a PBF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max L
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures: Civilizations fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I'll play if you need players.

1. Objectives: yes to 2 objectives
2. Culture: no to swapping
3. Alternative Map: yes to alternative map
4. Variable End Game - Roll to End: No
5. Self-moderation: Yes

Preferred color for this game will be Blue, Red.
GMT -5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Magic Realm redesign fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Rules reader
Would love to join again.

Prefer to be Blue, and in GMT+7 timezone.

As for the variants:
1. 2 Objectives: Yes
1. Switch A&S with C&S: Yes, as long as the graphic in player board also changed, to prevent mistakes
1. Different Map: Yes
1. Variable End Game: No
1. Self Moderation: Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darkmot wrote:
1. Switch A&S with C&S: Yes, as long as the graphic in player board also changed, to prevent mistakes
Of course.
The map in the first post actually already reflects all the possible variants.

Let's see if more people will show up.
It's definitely going slower than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
Microbadge: BGG.CON attendeeMicrobadge: Dallas Games Marathon participant
Might be the onset of summer slowing things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan - Waiqar the UndyingMicrobadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
1. Objectives: yes to 2 objectives
2. Culture: yes to swapping
3. Alternative Map: yes to alternative map
4. Variable End Game - Roll to End: No
5. Self-moderation: Yes

color: Blue/Green
timezone: MEZ (GMT+2)

i enjoy playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan - Waiqar the UndyingMicrobadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Redamikanas wrote:

Let's see if more people will show up.
It's definitely going slower than usual.
sending out invitations would certainly get more players in =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just wanted to keep the game open for everyone, without giving privileges to certain people...

Guess I'll just make it a "first come, first served" game then: The next person to sign up will get the last spot.

What does that mean for the variants?
1. 2 Objectives: Will be used.
2. Culture: Will only be used if the last player votes "yes".
3. Alternative Map: Will be used.
4. Variable End Game - Roll to End: Won't be used.
5. Self-moderation: Will be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max L
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures: Civilizations fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I'd say if no one joins in the next 24 hours, we could just start a 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: English Breakfast Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Brass: Birmingham fanMicrobadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Yes, but

The non-variable end is a game breaker for me because of all the final turn banzai charges that result, but good luck anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Fan of the card game Red7Microbadge: GeekGold TipperMicrobadge: Noblemen fan
misteralan wrote:

The non-variable end is a game breaker for me because of all the final turn banzai charges that result, but good luck anyway.
Yeah, I really want to try the variable end - I think it'll make for a much better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duly noted.
Variable ending will be a default option for the next non-newbie PBF then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max L
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd be willing to change my answer to the variable ending if it can get the game started. It would depend on the others if they want to change their answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
i would dislike if the game would be shorter than planned..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: English Breakfast Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Brass: Birmingham fanMicrobadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Going-going-gone?
Morthai wrote:
i would dislike if the game would be shorter than planned..
It might, but it's more likely to run long. Having that doubt is rather the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin rice
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Queen Games "Escape & Edo" Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
I'd be interested in joining. I'm at GMT -6, which puts me across the pond from the rest of the players (and creates a pretty large time zone spread in general) If this looks like a problem, I can bow out.

I'd prefer to use Purple in place of Yellow, as other colors are already desired.

1. 2 Objectives: Yes
2. Switch A&S with C&S: No
3. Different Map: Yes
4. Variable End Game: No
5. Self Moderation: Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max L
Canada
flag msg tools
I actually made a mistake when posting my GMT. It should be -5 and not +5...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Time zone difference is not really a problem.
Ok, we have 4 players.

I'll set the game up this evening, as soon as I'm back from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interesting map layout.

I'm wondering, though, doesn't it make those objectives, where you have to have a city far away from your starting city much more difficult?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess it's not more difficult than trying to accomplish these objectives on a 3 player map. whistle

Using Navigation is probably your best bet.
Or you might just try to fulfill the military part of the objectives instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redamikanas wrote:
I guess it's not more difficult than trying to accomplish these objectives on a 3 player map. whistle
Yeah, that is certainly true.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls