Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received this gem, and had a lovely afternoon off with the munchkin in the nursery - perfect.

Setting it all up over with a coffee, and then off I went ona little solo trip to Gettysburg.

First game:
Well, to sum it up, a Union no-show!

Cementary Hill fell shortly afterwards, with noone but Bufford to report it to Meade.shake

Nice excercise, but I stopped and restarted...

Second game:
Meade changed his mind and thought that Gettysburg is a good spot to defend, but alas it was just a feint from Lee, whose real hammer fell somewhere else...

Third game (surely this system must work)

Well, Meade was up for it, but Lee wasn't so sure...So this time he sent someone for a little armed recon, but not a lot...sigh

Fourth time lucky

How long would it take in playtesting to recreate such extreme conditions? A while

Forth time, and this time the protagonists did read the playbook and sent the troops into the vicinity.

Meade again was quicker off the mark, and an impressive line was formed along the mighty ridge north of Gettysburg (3 cannon symbols !). Lee gathered his troops and artillery was rolled into position, then he unleashed Heth and Pender in what would become known and Heth's Charge. The losses were heavy, but the Union line broke.
Early an hour later followed up on the triumph, and the Rebels are standing now on the gates of the town, but the elusive star is still behind the blue lines as the day comes to a close.

after combat losses

Half the Rebel army that is on the field is spend after the heavy afternoon fighting, but the star is now fixed, and so close...The Second Day should be interesting...More to follow...

A great first run of the game, and I am sure with plenty of rules mistakes made - but I don't care, I had a great afternoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: BMW fanMicrobadge: Bourbon drinkerMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: I Hate Winter
Thanks for the AAR. You had some interesting starts here meeple. The pics helped too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know what you mean!

I've already had some Monty Python-esque games in which Buford is all that exists until 2pm or 3pm in the afternoon. He leads the CSA on a merry chase all over the center of the Board, with the objectives pushing back and back and back....

Of course, eventually people start showing up, clogging the roads, so I guess it evens out if you can survive the morning.

One obvious variant is to mix the day's Reinforcement Time counters with Rumors into *two* piles, then stock the time track with them in two (or more batches) to ensure that someone from the Union shows up before Buford gets too lonely. Same comments for the CSA if they are slow to get moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you chose to re-start because of rules mistakes, fine, but a lot of situations can look hopeless early on because of reinforcement disparities but are actually very playable. We had a playtest game, for example, where there were no Union reinforcements until 3PM, Cemetery Hill was lost without a fight, and which was eventually won by the Union.

There really are unbalanced situations, but not nearly as many as it might at first appear; many a game started out looking one way but turned out very differently than might have been expected.

I will say that if the Confederates make a major attack, and it goes bad in a big way (and Confederate attacks can go bad in a VERY big way) that is pretty hard for the Confederates to recover from. Big attacks that risk a lot of units require great care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Not a big attack, but I had an initial Confederate attack--Johnson down the Mummasburg Rd, crash and burn against a unit of Slocum's 12th on the northern end of Seminary Ridge. Johnson seeing only cavalry the previous turn, Johnson declared attack only to find 12th corps troops holding the ridge line. Johnson lacked proper artillery--2 units/tokens, but only 1 Any and the other was a throw-away. Slocum's block, however, had two supporting units (and the three for the ridge). In the end, one of Johnson's blocks was wiped out, and in the following close combat, the other took a loss which ended up one flag reduced. Slocum did as well, but it was stunning to see Johnson's division wrecked in a single attack! Lesson: proper artillery support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
If you chose to re-start because of rules mistakes, fine, but a lot of situations can look hopeless early on because of reinforcement disparities but are actually very playable. We had a playtest game, for example, where there were no Union reinforcements until 3PM, Cemetery Hill was lost without a fight, and which was eventually won by the Union.

There really are unbalanced situations, but not nearly as many as it might at first appear; many a game started out looking one way but turned out very differently than might have been expected.

I will say that if the Confederates make a major attack, and it goes bad in a big way (and Confederate attacks can go bad in a VERY big way) that is pretty hard for the Confederates to recover from. Big attacks that risk a lot of units require great care.
I am sure you are right, and this is most certainly what I will do in the future; it was my first go, and I sort of wanted just something...'normal'. This is by no means a criticism or doubt that the game is balanced, but it was just funny that the wooden soldiers just did not want to have a battle despite all my efforts devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR mate! Hope to see more. Great pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:

I guess this is the movement of objective markers are designed for?

Late Union arrivals, and the objectives may be pushed away from the rebels. Right?

BTW
Great AAR!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
Has anyone played the game with the historical arrival schedule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Microbadge: Oolong drinkerMicrobadge: Sake drinkerMicrobadge: Ramen loverMicrobadge: Rice loverMicrobadge: Roast Duck lover
I have had the same experience with reinforcements which I believe makes the game more interesting.

How have you been managing your orders and battle tokens in each of the four situations?

And how did your blocks advance so far so quickly?

Doesn't using the "on road" reinforcement rule limit "one BLOCK per hour at a single entry point?" And even delaying some to a different entry point by one hour would limit them to at most just before those entry roads intersect on the turn of entry? There is no "on road" movement except on the reinforcements initial entry.

Entry by "off road" the 1st turn you are limited to adjacent destination per the diagram. Then it is a very long way across the entire board to North of Gettysburg.

I would have liked to see a Confederate victory condition of something like +10 more casualties inflicted than received to simulate that their objective was to destroy the Union army. The ground had no strategic value in and of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
Genghisx wrote:
I would have liked to see a Confederate victory condition of something like +10 more casualties inflicted than received to simulate that their objective was to destroy the Union army. The ground had no strategic value in and of itself.
In the thread "What do the objectives represent IRL?", Robert Stuart posts a link to Bowen's Design Diary Entry about the game's victory conditions:

http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Gettysburg/diary/Entry2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR and photos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls