4 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Disaster Tycoon Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
I have been tinkering with this idea for awhile. I think RRT is well made, but I miss the disasters that were in Empire Builder. Some of the people I regularly play with and I have come up with a fairly simple variant.

It was annoying when people got get a good lead and just coast to victory without feeling any stress. We found, when we added this variant, the game gets really tense, and the person in last place has something to hope for. We have playtested this variant twice.

It occurs right after you recieve your income, but before you bid. You will also need 4 dice and a place to roll them (such as a box) for this addition.

Whoever went first will also go first on the "disaster round". Basically, the first player will take one die and then the next player in order would take 2. The first player rolls, and then keep note of what number it is. Then the 2nd player rolls both dice. after this, there can be 3 senarios:

1) None match(eg the first die was a 3, and the other two were 4 and 1)
In this case the disaster was averted, and the second player gets the one die and the next in order takes 2, and the process repeats.

2) 2 matches (eg the first die was a 6, and the other two were 3 and 6)
In this case, a disaster occurs. The first player will recieve the disaster. He/she now will take two of the dice, and roll. Add the numbers on both die up and refer to the disaster chart below.

NOTE: It means nothing if the second players 2 dice match

3) All match (eg the first die was a 5, and the other two were 5 and 5)
In this case, a Super Disaster occurs to the first player. The first player takes 4 dice, and rolls. The next player in order (eg the person who rolled the 2 dice) decides which 2 dice to add together to get to the disaster.

Also, after any disaster, the person who recieved it will get "monetary compensation". The first player will roll one dice (two if it is a super disaster) and take the equivelent money.
The disaster round continues so until every player has had a chance to roll one dice.

Now, on to the main event

DISASTER CHART

12) Train Level reduced by 2 (eg from a level 4 train to a level 2 train)

11) Immediatly lose 5 victory points

10) One card in your possession will be returned to the "general population" of the cards (so that anyone can take it)*

9) Change Tycoon Card. Take your tycoon, put him back in the deck, and then randomly choose a new one.

8) Lose a Turn. During the next round (by round I mean the interval between bidding and recieving income), you must not take one of your turns. You can choose which turn to lose.

7) You lose 2 goods cubes (they must be connected to your track) If removing two cubes from a city results in it being empty, immediatly add one random cube to that city.*

6) Lose a Turn (look at 8)

5) Lose a link. You lose up to a maximum of 10 thousand dollars worth of track.*

4) No hotels or bonuses next round. So, you cannot use any of your cards, cannot take any cards from the general population, and cannot collect service bounty.

3) Recieve a share card, without getting the value (so you do not get the 5000 you usually get from a share card).

2) Lose one half of cash on hand. All decimals are rounded down. The money lost is immediatly returned to the bank.

* The choice of what to take/destroy is decided by the next person in order.

Whew, finally done. Please post any additions, new disasters, questions ect. so that I can improve this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I see with this idea is that some of your proposed disasters are sigfinicantly more crippling than others. I personally really dislike game features that are the equivalent to randonly selecting a player and saying "Oops you lose".

5) lose a link is particularly bad, especially as it is chosen by another player who will usually pick the link that will cost the most to rebuild, and it's fairly high probablitly as well. This could be a game looser late in the game. Maybe it should be break a link by loosing a single track hex instead. Another possibility is to loose the use of a given link for the next turn.

12) loosing two train levels is likewaise very harsh, maybe it also should be just temporary for the next turn.

There needs to be a clarification on 7) if this empties enough cities to trigger end game, do you play 1 or 2 more turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree with you when you say some of the disasters are harsh, but in 2 games we have a 12 rolled once (at the very end). also, the disasters tend to even out during the couse of the game.

I do agree with the lose a link as being very costly. I am considering changing it so that it has a cost cap of perhaps 10 (so you could not distroy any more than $10,000 worth of track)

Also, thanks for the clarification. I forgot to mention that if you remove a cube from a city and it becomes empty, you must add one random cube to the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like this would add a significant amount of time to the game. I feel like there's a much easier way to streamline the rolling process. It should be only one or two rolls total per turn, rather than one or two rolls per turn per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.