Dominion: Guilds» Forums » General

Subject: Dominion Storage Solution including all expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
With multiple Dominion expansions now out there I, as many before me, looked if it was not possible to reduce the amount of boxes needed. This website is full of great solutions, including completely new boxes, all kinds of dividers, horizontal ones, vertical ones, even scaleable ones and various box layouts. Overall I had a lot of fun reading through these posts and this helped me form the following solution. So thank you all for all the work you have done and sharing your ideas and your work with the community as that definitely helped me a lot.

For the other storage solutions I tried see my geeklist:
Collection of Paper Boardgame Inserts

With a bit of work I was able to squeeze the contents of all the Dominion boxes into just two boxes, including Guilds. This is what I started with:

This is the final result:

At first I started of with two large dividers in the original box only and and with card dividers to seperate the cards. This resulted in three rows of all cards inside the original box. But the original box felt instable/wobbly so I moved one step further and looked at how to still use the original box but make the solution more stable.

The two Dominion boxes are split into 8 equally sized slots, 4 in each box, 7 of these contain a card box, and the 8th contains 2 half-height (flatter) item boxes to put all other items in like coins and victory tablets. As Guilds just came out I still have to make the dividers for this last set and print a picture to stick on the last card box which is currently empty. Given the size of guilds it will take up roughly half of that last card box. So with Guilds included 6,5 of the card boxes are (will be) filled with half a card box left spare. The two Dominion boxes opened up look like this:

The original box with the card boxes inside feels structurally strong. The original box does not bend as there is almost no room left to bend. Overall, though heavy, this feels strong.

Both original Dominion boxes with the Dominion box lid above them:

To accomodate for dividers with labels sticking out above the cards and inside each of the 7 card boxes the card boxes with lid stick out about 2 mm's when inside the original Dominion inside box. Then with the manuals on top of these the combined height of the Dominion inside box + lid is roughly 3 mm's higher.

Each of the 7 card boxes consists of two parts: an inside box with a low border and a lid with a high border. Openening up one of the card boxes (Seafarers):

Initially I started with an inside card box with a high border and a lid with a low border. But I quickly found out that it was difficult to wiggle the cards or take them out easily so I changed this around and now the lid has a high border and the inside card box which holds the cards and dividers has a low border.

And opening up another one (Dark Ages and Seaside):

Each card box can hold an entire "large base set or expansion" but only just and there is no wiggling space for the cards left so I moved the location cards from the three large sets to the box that contains Seaside (as that is a medium sized set). The four small sets fit exactly in two boxes, with 2 sets per box exactly. The distribution currently is as follows:
Box 1: Base set (without location cards)
Box 2: Intrigue (without location cards)
Box 3: Dark Ages (without location cards)
Box 4: Seaside (including location cards and all location cards from Base, Intrigue and Dark Ages)
Box 5: Cornucopia and Hinterlands (including location cards)
Box 6: Prosperity and Alchemy (including location cards)
Box 7: Guilds (including location cards) half box free
Box 8/9/10: All other items (coins, tablets)

The Seafarers box with the locations cards of the three large sets:

The two half-height item boxes hold all the other items such as coins and all cardboard tablets. Piled on top of each other they have the exact same exterior dimensions (WxHxL) as each card box.

Inside one of the item boxes there is aslo another smaller square box to hold all the various coins, and with the coin box opened up:

The inlay of the coin box is made from one piece of A4 thick paper, cut and folded into four compartments and then squeezed into the square box (as the fit is tight no glue was needed).

Thinks I'm looking at:
Thin plastic dividers with pre printed text on them would be nice as the corners of the paper ones are prone to bending when going through them and picking cards so the get a lot of wear. This is a nice to have but not easily done though as my printer doesn't like plastic.
Adding a curved bottom to the coin box sections to take out the coins more easily. I'll probably do that, otherwise I just make a cloth pouch instead.
The center of the two original boxes has room left for something else (coin bags for example, so just in case there will be another expansion there is still some room left, although that means I'd probably have to sacrifice the Seafarer hardboard tablets and take them out all together as their size is awkward.

Material needed:
Scissors
Sharp hobby knife
Ruler (preferably metal)
Glue
Paper to cover the boxes
Photo paper to print a nice picture of each set to stick on the relevant box
Cardboard paper for the boxes (1mm thick)
Thick paper for the dividers and the inlay (250g/m2, this is paper roughly twice as thick as standard printing paper)

And a lot of time and patience.

Dividers:
For the dividers the horizontal dividers from Salt-Man were used, available at: http://saltmanz.com/files/Dominion/. These were resized to match the card box sizes for this solution.
Total folded width x height = 91 x 70 (mm) including uncut label part.
The label size width x height = 47,5 x 12,7 (mm)
These sizes are about 1-2 mm less in height and width then the inside sizes of the card boxes.

This is an example of a divider from Salt-Man (after resizing, cutting, folding and glueing):

Boxes:
For the boxes I worked from the instructions that Carthaginian provided in very good detail at:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/36272/carthaginians-domini...
For this solution the guidance on the "wiggling" space was very usefull and probably saved me several box making attempts.

Box dimensions determination:
To determine the sizes of the boxes so they would fit in as shown above I did the following.
First determine the width of the boxes needed on the basis of the card width:
Card width = 90 mm
Inside Card box width = 90+2+2 = 94 mm (2 + 2 mm is the wiggling space between cards and inside box)
Lid width = 94 + 3 = 97 mm (3 mm is the wiggling space between inside box and lid)

If you want a similar solution for sleeved cards then start with the card width that includes a sleeve. I don't have them sleeved but assume the sleeve makes the card a bit wider and taller.
In addition the thickness of the sleeve probably means more boxes are needed to store all cards. With a single sleeve its thickness can probably be ignored but with hundreds of sleeves this needs to be taken into account.

Second determine the length of the inside box and its lid, starting with the lid:
Dominion box inside is 289 mm
That leaves for the lenght of the lid:
289 - 97 - 2 - 2 = 188 mm (97 mm is width of the lid, 2 + 2 mm is wiggling space compared to the Dominion box).

Third determine the length of the inside box now that you have the lid length:
That leaves for the length of the inside box:
188 - 3 = 185 mm (3 mm is the wiggling space between inside box and lid)

Fourth determine the height needed for the lid.
The height of the lid is determined by the card height + divider with label height.
Card height is 59 mm (length is 90 mm)
So divider height becomes 7
That makes the lid height 70 + 2 = 72 mm (2 mm to leave some space between dividers top and the the lid, as the bottom of the inside card box is 1 mm this reduces the space to roughly 1 mm)

Fifth set the height of the inside box.
This is not fixed but I did not want it to be to high as that hinders taking cards out of the box. So I set this at 40 mm. This makes the cards stick out about 20 mm and easy to grap on both sides.

Final sizes of the boxes:

Cards boxes (seven of them):
Cards box - Lid with high border:
X-axis = 72 - 188 - 72 = 332 mm
Y-axis = 72 - 97 - 72 = 241 mm

Cards box - Inside box with low border (so the cards have some wiggling space to pull them out easily):
X-axis = 40 - 185 - 40 = 265 mm
Y-axis = 40 - 94 - 40 = 174 mm

Note that the border height is 2 mm less then that of the lid and the base width and length are 3 mm less. This is the room you need for the lid to fit on the inside box (1 mm less it wont' fit, 1 mm more it becomes a loose fit).

Or if you want this to be an inside box with high borders:
X-axis = 70 - 185 - 70 = 325 mm
Y-axis = 70 - 94 - 70 = 234 mm

Note that the weight of the cards helps to remove the lid by just pulling the lid, but a higher bord means less/no wiggling room/space to pick the cards, more friction and more chance that the lid is stuck on the inside box.

Items box (two of them):
Items box - Inside box:
X-axis = 33 - 185 - 33 = 251 mm
Y-axis = 33 - 94 - 33 = 160 mm

Items box - Lid
X-axis = 25 - 188 - 25 = 238 mm
Y-axis = 25 - 97 - 25 = 147 mm
Note that the height is less then that of the inside box as this space is needed to hold the inside box whilst pulling of the lid. With the card boxes the weight of the cards pulls the inside box down by itself.

Coin box:
Coin box - Inside box:
X-axis = 30 - 87 - 30 = 147 mm
Y-axis = 30 - 87 - 30 = 147 mm

Coin box - Lid:
X-axis = 20 - 90 - 20 = 130 mm
Y-axis = 20 - 90 - 20 = 130 mm

Time and patience needed
This is not something you do in an evening.
I did above mostly over the Christmas break (had some days of).
For the boxes time went into trying out what worked/what I liked and once I came to the above solution determining dimensions that worked, mainly how many extra mm's are needed in each size to make it fit just right/smoothly (not to tight, not to loose). I'm not sure how much time the actual work took, taking out all the trials and errors I think making 10 boxes should roughly took 3 (long) evenings. With the first one taking the longest and looking the worst.
What cost me a lot more time were the dividers, those seem straightforward, and they are, but there are so many to do. Resizing them took some time so did some trial and error but overall probably not more than 1 evening or so. What took a lot of time was cutting all of them (and there really are a lot of them) out with a scissor, folding them, and glueing them together, not sure how much time exactly went into that but believe that was easily 5-6 evenings and probably more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dominion Storage Solution
oskar101 wrote:
Time and patience needed
This is not something you do in an evening.

it's why I'm going to try a 3-ring binder solution, something like...

which he documents, follows up, etc over at

A very nice binder storage solution for large Dominion card collections

but you did a very nice job!!! how many hours do you think it took overall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very impressive. I like how you were able to get all of the cards into two Dominion boxes going just a bit over flush. This looks like a great solution, though time-consuming to make. I know it would go a long way towards saving space on our shelves, though. Looks like I've got a new project in a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
I like how you were able to get all of the cards into two Dominion boxes going just a bit over flush.

almost all the cards actually fit in just one Dominion box, minus the side mats (islands and I forget what the other one is called)... not sleeved of course, this final expansion which I don't have yet may push it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
paschott wrote:
I like how you were able to get all of the cards into two Dominion boxes going just a bit over flush.

almost all the cards actually fit in just one Dominion box, minus the side mats (islands and I forget what the other one is called)... not sleeved of course, this final expansion which I don't have yet may push it over.

True, but the organization to still break down cards at least a little by set and store the little bits is a nice bonus. Better than digging through all of the cards looking for the entries by name. Still, we need to do something to reduce the amount of space that Dominion boxes take up in our house and this is one of the more compact solutions I've seen that still had some degree of organization beyond "all cards in a box". Of course with the amount of time this likely took, I'd probably be better off buying a couple "Magic" style boxes and just throwing all of the cards and bits in those. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
paschott wrote:

True, but the organization to still break down cards at least a little by set and store the little bits is a nice bonus. Better than digging through all of the cards looking for the entries by name. Still, we need to do something to reduce the amount of space that Dominion boxes take up in our house and this is one of the more compact solutions I've seen that still had some degree of organization beyond "all cards in a box". Of course with the amount of time this likely took, I'd probably be better off buying a couple "Magic" style boxes and just throwing all of the cards and bits in those. :-/

I used to store by sets... now I store all cards from all expansions (and base) alphabetically... it's really imho much easier... use randomizer cards (I don't have a smart phone and hence an app) to pick set of 10, sort the 10 alphabetically then pull them out of the box

oh I forgot to mention... I don't sleeve cards individually... but I do sleeve the set of 10 or 12 of the same kingdom card in a sleeve, that's how it easy to pull them out and put them back in.

also I did print on card stock and cut out the tabbed dividers for base & intrigue... that in and of itself was many hours, base poster did a lot more work than that! But in any case that made it easier than just having "A"..."Z" dividers and finding the sets to pull out.

in any case I'm waiting for an amazon order for the 9 slot trading card 3-ring binder inserts to transition over... that should make it even easier/quicker to find the cards and then put back after (as there will be an empty slot)... and if someone wants to just browse the cards the face of the cards are fully visible.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the officially licensed storage solutions ends up being 3-ring, while of course others will be dividers, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Each box can hold one big set, or 2 small sets and I have organized them this way as well. So I just pull out the boxes I need, normally this is just one or two, plus the boxes with the items.

Time wise:
I obviously would not have mind if I could have bought the exactly right sized boxes and dividers of the shelf, on the other hand it is actually nice to see how things start to shape as a result of your energy spent, so overal I am actually happy with the time spent on it and enjoy the end result a lot.

Surprisingly enough though it wasn't the boxes but the dividers that took the most time.

I did above mostly over the Christmas break (had some days of).
For the boxes time went into trying out what worked/what I liked and once I came to the above solution determining dimensions that worked, mainly how many extra mm's are needed in each size to make it fit just right/smoothly (not to tight, not to loose). I'm not sure how much time the actual work took, taking out all the trials and errors I think making 10 boxes should roughly took 3 (long) evenings. With the first one taking the longest and looking the worst.
What cost me a lot more time were the dividers, those seem straightforward, and they are, but there are so many to do. Resizing them took some time so did some trial and error but overall probably not more than in the order of 1 evening, even the printing is a matter of pressing a button and walking away to do something else. What really took a lot of time was cutting each single one of them out (and there really are a lot of them), then folding each single one exactly in the middle, then glueing every single one together. Not sure how much time exactly went into that but believe that was easily 5-6 evenings and probably more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
nathanaelkurcab wrote:
These forums have been so helpful. Based on the great ideas here, I developed the Dominion Storage Chest. Check it out on Kickstarter – it makes setup and gameplay simple. You can now take Dominion more places and enjoy a greater gameplay variety with just one box!

[link deleted]

Thanks for taking a look!

How many times does the same post have to be posted by the same user on multiple threads before it is considered spam?

shake

checking

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/nathanaelkurcab/contributions

looks like it's up to 4 (1 thread, 3 replies). if enough folks click the red box on the posts and mark it "rules violation" the posts will be hidden until if/when an admin deletes them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.