Popular Tags: convention [+] dexcon [+] [View All]
Rachel Poulos
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anybody is going to Dexcon (http://www.dexposure.com/dexcon16.html) and if so if they are signing up for anything. This is my second time going, and I highly recommend e-mailing to reserve spots in things you are interested.

For those who have not attended Dexcon before, here are some of my thoughts. I'm not too experienced in conventions, but I think Dexcon is different from most others in the sense that there is almost no open gaming but instead structured/moderated games set to last a specific amount of time. This is good in my opinion because this means there is always someone there to teach you the game and there isn't much downtime waiting for players, because everybody who signs up shows up at the designated time.

Something that is good and bad is that the game ends at the end time whether you have finished or not. The good of this is that it keep you moving onto the next game so you can learn some more (particularly for people like me who use conventions as a way to learn games that are already in my collection), and you can do so without feeling bad for leaving a game in the middle. It can be bad to end early too because that creates downtime, but I have found that those cases are rare and also since everyone you just played with is in the same boat, chances are you can all play a filler until the next session begins.

As I mentioned, there is a gm for every game, so you really can sign up for a game you have never played before (or barely heard of). The thing I hate most about board gaming is reading rulebooks - so Dexcon solved many of my problems!

Last thing is the tournaments - I actually get to go to Dexcon for free this year because last year I won the Carcassonne tournament. The more popular games like Powergrid and Puerto Rico have lots of experienced players. Even if you are not going to win, it is fun to learn new strategies from the more obsessed. I like to go to the less popular ones i.e. Louis XVI so I am more likely to get free admission next con@

Anyways, here is what I've signed up for (* means I've never played it before, ** means it is a game in my collection that I don't know how to play):

B0407: Village Thursday, 9:00AM - 11:00AM *
B0425: Tikal. Thursday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM **
B0437: At the Gates of Loyang. Thursday, 2:00PM - 6:00PM *
B0481: In the Year of the Dragon Thursday, 7:00PM - 10:00PM *
B0522: Medici. Thursday, 10:00PM - 12:00AM *
B0532: The 2013 U.S. National Puerto Rico Championship. Thursday, 12:00AM - 2:00AM

B0552: Merchants & Marauders. See B0402. Friday, 9:00AM - 1:00PM *
B0590: Dominant Species. Friday, 1:00PM - 6:00PM **
B0664: Hansa Teutonica. Friday, 8:00PM - 10:00PM *
B0687: The 2013 U.S. National Bananagrams Championship. Friday, 10:00PM - 12:00AM
B0717: Race for the Galaxy Friday, 12:00AM - 2:00AM

B0743: Ora et Labora Saturday, 9:00AM - 1:00PM *
B0778: Caylus Saturday, 1:00PM - 4:00PM **
B0846: Belfort Saturday, 7:00PM - 10:00PM *
B0902: The Princes of Florence. Saturday, 10:00PM - 12:00AM **
$500 Poker Tournament 12:00am - Until I get eliminated (which I will)

B0952: Robo Rally Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM *
B0990: Race for the Galaxy Sunday, 3:00PM - 5:00PM

Lots of new ones and 4 from my collection, not bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which I was going, but I have friends in from out of town the 4th - 6th. I know the guy who runs the trivia contests, and it does indeed sound like a great con. Structured and timed game play is actually fairly common at gaming conventions. Not sure I like the idea of the game ending if it's going long, though; that's something most cons do not do. Sounds like you have a great schedule picked out for yourself. Let us know how it went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We look forward to seeing you! (And I may be your GM for a few of those.)

Good luck, and more importantly, have fun!

Linda Baldwin
Director of Board Gaming
DEXCON 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed a great convention; my 4th one I believe. I always have a blast, and the board game section keeps getting better and better .

Rachel, it sounds like you signed up for some great games. I believe we have some similar sign ups. But as for Dominant Species, you are in for a treat!! Love that game. I never turn a game of that down. I usually run that game at other conventions and I did GM it last year at Dexcon to give the staff a breather, which I'll gladly do this year if need be.

Happy gaming!
Erick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Simpson
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://youtu.be/Mvm0wKqFFko

http://youtu.be/kwUoNJGWupk

http://youtu.be/AJQ5NLqAzbs

http://youtu.be/HwXhe1DHTx0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stronghold Games will certainly be there! AND IN FORCE!

My staff is running 28 (!!!) slots of our games, including tournaments/finals slots for some of our games, and also including our latest games VOLUSPA, VAMPIRE EMPIRE, and TIME 'N' SPACE!

Stronghold Games will have our usual tables right outside the Board Game Room, directly across from the Morristown Hyatt Front Desk.

Please do stop by and say hello! You will find me stationed at the Stronghold Games tables for most of the con... or at the Hyatt's Bar ... and I'll be wearing my usual garish Stronghold Games' RED shirt...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.