Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use "living card game" in your description as I believe FFG has rights to that naming scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it.
Kinda seems like GW owning the phrase Space Marine,
but I do love FFG's production quality and games so I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madapegames/clash?ref=bg...

As to why you should care about this game?
It's a rich steampunk high fantasy board game, with lots of deck building options, that continues to get deeper and more complex with each play.
Yet, is easy to learn and with asymmetrical game play provides two different experiences within the game.
Obviously it's human nature to be skeptical about something your just seeing for the first time, but this games narrative driven fast paced mechanics makes it so that each game is an epic story being told through game play.
These concepts, plus the beautiful art is going to make it a top shelf game in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at 'saucy air pirate midriff'!

Then I started equivocating at it being a constructed deck game.

Then I got more enthusiastic about the prospect of treating it as a balanced 2-player game out of the box (I would expect never to adjust the decks, in this case).

Then you lost me because the Eve of Eden (saucy air pirate midriff) deck is not even an option until the campaign hits at least $15k. As the fourth listed stretch goal, it's not unreasonable to think that she won't be unlocked until the campaign hits $37.5k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
steamlich wrote:
Kinda seems like GW owning the phrase Space Marine
No... Not remotely.

Space Marine is a fairly generic term used in a lot of sci-fi material since at least the 1930s.

Living Card Game is a unique phrase that FFG came up with. They have as much right to that term as, say, Coke has to the name Coca-Cola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the game gets funded to 15k, then I'll be doing a poll to decide which gets made next and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Eve of Eden was the winner.
I didn't mean any disrespect to ffg, as I've already stated above i'm actually a big fan of the production value of there product.
Also I just posted the beta rules pdf as a free download on the kickstarter site.
Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the deluxe earlybird specials unlimited? What makes them 'earlybird'?

Also:
The city of Greycrest was about to be turned into a chess match for the fate of every live aboard the flying mechanical city!

Should be 'life'.

I hope you make it to 15k, or that you release art for the Siege of Greycrest that is at least as compelling as Eve of Eden. Perhaps idealist mecha midriff. Because I don't like withdrawing pledges (and would be afraid of forgetting to do so anyway), I won't pledge until the reward appeals to me, and currently that means it has to be the SS Rogue set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... don't know if you were intending on this just thread being just a press release, or if you're looking for feedback on the game itself, but here's some feedback to do with what you will.

As stated above, I'd change out all references to LCG's as quickly as possible.

The audio of the girl at the beginning of the video is out of sync and isn't a positive way to start off. First impressions and all that. Plus, the gameplay portion of the video is nearly impossible to follow what's going on, mostly because of the artwork in the background that's very distracting. It's one of those things that makes it frustrating to evaluate the gameplay because I just don't know what I'm looking at.

The art/design: Two comments on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Artwork- AMAZING. Beautiful artwork.

However...

The graphic design of the cards is... not amazing (I'll be nice). No steampunk vibe given off at all or fantasy vibe or any combination of the two. You've got dollar symbols on them which further takes me out of any fantasy or steampunk setting (if it was American steampunk, then maybe). But everything is muddy and the colors don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. The ALL CAPS OF ALL THE TEXT also makes it a challenge to read.

I really can't get over the disconnect I'm feeling between the artwork and the card designs and can't see how they will go together. The one question that keeps going through my mind is how did you get artists of this caliber to partner with you on this game? No slight to the game or to you, but this art is Fantasy Flight caliber and your asking Kickstarter amount wouldn't begin to cover even the artwork, much less production of the game itself. When I check out Jordan Glimmer's Deviantart and blog, I see the same artwork you are using for the game, but there's no mention of it being used for this game. In fact, all the artwork you're using in your KS is listed as having been done for school. If Glimmer is indeed doing artwork for your game, then you need to have samples of that. If you're just using his older artwork as a sample of his style, then you need to make that a lot more explicit in your descriptions.

But if the artwork shown is actual artwork from the game, then congrats! In any event, I'm contacting him myself to check on his rates.

Edited to add: Oliver Stone? I have a feeling you may be too young to be aware that there's a well-known academy award winning director of the same name. (Platoon, JFK, Born of the 4th of July). Not a huge issue, but it makes me start looking for tongue-in-cheek references in the game and I don't think it's intended. (or is it?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got around to watching the video, and it's riddled with mistakes!

* All the card images are squashed (assuming that you're not using square cards, that is).

* There are missing and superfluous spaces - 'ANYTIME' at 0:52 (it's a word, but in this context it should be 'any time') and 'BLACK MAILING' at 1:10.

* Missing apostrophes - 'JACK THE RIPPERS GANG'.

And, to echo what VicDigital said above, the graphic design is weak.

I guess that's why the original post in this thread has disappeared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I am now the original poster ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Then I hope you aren't taking our criticisms too personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VicDigital wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
Then I hope you aren't taking our criticisms too personally.
I can take it like I wasn't even the original poster; I'm that good

Here we go Trolling along...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qiagen wrote:
VicDigital wrote:
When I check out Jordan Glimmer's Deviantart and blog, I see the same artwork you are using for the game, but there's no mention of it being used for this game. In fact, all the artwork you're using in your KS is listed as having been done for school. If Glimmer is indeed doing artwork for your game, then you need to have samples of that. If you're just using his older artwork as a sample of his style, then you need to make that a lot more explicit in your descriptions.

But if the artwork shown is actual artwork from the game, then congrats! In any event, I'm contacting him myself to check on his rates.
It looks legitimate. Jordan Grimmer's blog has a link to the tweet "Happy to be a part of this: CLASH! http://t.co/KkMm9y7Zx7 via @kickstarter" (the link is at the bottom of the page at the time of typing).
Well there you go! Glad to be wrong about my skepticism.

I wish Clash all the best in the world, however, I feel it's going to be rough sailing for this project. Even though this project has a relatively low funding goal, the overall sloppiness of the project and the fact that any search for Jared Barry's credentials yields only his Deviantart page makes me wary that he has the necessary background to bring this project to reality in the timeframe he's promising. I guess there are people out there who will blindly contribute to a KS, but I'm thinking that he'll quickly hit a ceiling in backers unless he starts doing some major triage on some of the concerns we have expressed in this thread.

I love how Cody Miller addressed any and all concerns in his Xia Kickstarter campaign by being totally transparent and diligent. While there's never any guarantee that a solo-produced boardgame by a total newcomer will ever see the light of day, Cody Miller at least showed he was putting his maximum effort into making sure he wasn't missing anything. And because of that, he exceeded his $100,000 funding goal and got $346,000. Jared Barry needs to check out Xia's campaign and take notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys just so you know I value all the feedback no matter positive or negative, and have taken it all in to try to improve upon the game.
I've redone the video to address some of the concerns I've seen towards my project.
I know it's not perfect yet, but it's only the beta and with the help of the community I'm sure it can be polished to a gem.
Like i've said I do appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking an interest in the project.
-Jared Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, sir. Much better all the way around. However, I'd maybe do one more video that covers the same info, but eliminate the comments about skepticism you received and that you're addressing it. No need to focus on it in the video. You can put that in one of the updates. Just let the video explain the way things are.

And I'm not just saying well done, I went ahead and pledged.

If you do decide to do a new video, I'd suggest a couple of things. Turn on all the lights in your room and turn off all the TVs in the background. If you have any sort of smartphone that's newer than 2006, use it to record your video instead of your webcam.

I'd also go into a bit more depth about the artists. Those are going to be your selling point and provide a lot of credibility. Show samples of their work, but make it clear that this is going to be the style/quality and not the actual artwork. Explain Jordan's credentials and maybe how you came to partner with him. If you can get him to record a ten second "howdy" video, I'd include that. "I'm the artist and excited to be a part of this project. I've got lots of great designs ready to go if this project gets funded." Etc.

And finally, if you would like, send all your elements to me (as well as shooting some new segments), and I'll put something together for you that I think will be maybe a bit more effective. Video production is what I do for a living.

In any event, much respect for taking the suggestions and feedback to heart and good luck the rest of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I added some cool Kickstarter exclusives.
First off just for pledging 10 dollars you can get an entire print and play set, as well as an exclusive Kickstarter only 11x17 art print.

Second if you pledge 25 dollars or more you can get with your boxed set pre order a limited edition Kickstarter exclusive 10 card alternate art Setting Deck, for the Great Flying City of Greycrest!

If you order the deluxe edition you will receive an exclusive limited edition Kickstarter exclusive t-shirt featuring some cool art from Jordan Grimmer.

None of these items will ever be printed again after the Kickstarter.

Thanks
Jared

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I just put up the CLASH! Forum.
This evening when I get home from work, I'm going to be posting up the print and play beta test version of the game. This will give you everything needed to try the game and give us feedback on anything potentially broken or unintentionally powerful.

Thanks for the continued support,
-Jared
http://madapegames.freeforums.org/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hy everyone just posted up a new cinematic trailer feel free to check it out and leave feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEntwDibnFw

thanks,
-Jared

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all,
I just put up a poll to vote on your favorite card design to gauge public opinion. I know this community has some great minds and I'd love to hear any feedback, positive or negative to make my card designs better and more efficient. I've taken some of the feedback posted already and switched the resources to crystals instead of dollars, and tried to think outside the box as far as the illustration area goes.

Thanks for your feedback ahead of time,
Jared Barry

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madapegames/clash/posts?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card designs are a thousand times better, especially the full bleed one shown above. However, the all-caps text is still an eyesore and makes it difficult to read the cards. If that font doesn't have upper and lower case, consider doing small caps so it reads a little smoother.

The text backgrounds are still really muddy-looking and unpleasant (to me). I think it's the texture that just turns me off. It's more grungy cement than steampunk. Steampunk has a more refined and warm feel to it. Wood and brass and rustic.

But overall, everything is looking up considerably. Impressed. Keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alright here is one more slight tweak as per some of your suggestions, I think it's starting to look even more clean. I've gone with a more wooden background but retained the magical blue type area behind the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is another card design option, I'd love to gather as much feedback as humanly possible, good or bad.

If you share an opinion I promise to one day give you a cookie.
Thanks,
-Jared Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Hey everyone here is a new playable character. Feel free to check out the campaign, thanks a ton,
-Jared

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Raven Stormshround appear in the siege of Greycrest starter set, or is she leading another deck that won't be unlocked until funding hits 15k? (Though I notice that the stretch goal info is no longer on the page)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Barry
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She is going to be in another Boxed set titled "Scuffle for the SS Rogue," But she will also be making a cameo or two in "The Great Siege of Greycrest,".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |