BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Who reads session reports? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never read a single one outside of geekmoding. I guess it must be a personal thing. Do you use them to get a hang of how an unknown to you game plays, or to the contrary, enjoy stories about theme-rich games you enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read some to get a better feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read them, it's typically to help me decide if I want to buy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who thumb them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

OK Chris, what game has this in its session report? I want to read it!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
OK Chris, what game has this in its session report? I want to read it!laugh

Pretty much all of them, if only conceptually so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

I thought good reviews are much better for that, are they not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
I never read a single one outside of geekmoding. I guess it must be a personal thing. Do you use them to get a hang of how an unknown to you game plays, or to the contrary, enjoy stories about theme-rich games you enjoy?

If you've never read this session report, it's an absolute riot. You have to read this.

Session Report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
schizoferret wrote:

If you've never read this session report, it's an absolute riot. You have to read this.

Session Report

I wish there where more like this!

When geekmoding, I noticed that why most reviews tend to keep some sort of minimum level, session reports are often just a couple of sentences summing up a first play of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often merely skim them, but occasionally I read them more carefully. Especially if it's about an abstract game I know well and the report gives some strategy insight.

Also, I did read this non-standard wargame session report with interest:
A life-altering game deserves this kind of session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read them to get a more "real" feel for a game I'm considering buying than I often find in reviews, or to glean some strategies that I may not have thought of in games I own.

And as far as session reports just being a couple of sentences, to me that is NOT a session report. That's a silly summary someone's trying to push through geekmod for a few quick coins.

If I'm allowed to self-promote by way of explanation, this is a session report that I put up yesterday, and is more the kind of thing I'm looking for in an AAR than just a couple of sentences. There are much better ones out there, though.

Day 1 Scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't typically read session reports. They don't typically serve well to give you an overall impression of what a game, which is what you would like for game purchasing decision, but only how that single session went.

What they are good for is to find out how other people are faring in a particular game and get ideas how you could play it differently, such as if you are having difficulty with a particular scenario, or if you want to see how you can enhance a game, etc.

Once in a long while, you might stumble across some creative ways how others are enjoying a game, like this this fantastic session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
matthean wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

I thought good reviews are much better for that, are they not?

Reviews talk about the game, but a session report is of someone actually playing the game. It is like the difference between watching a video review and a video playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't even read forum threads. Like, EVER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Reviews talk about the game, but a session report is of someone actually playing the game. It is like the difference between watching a video review and a video playthrough.

But don't you have to be pretty familiar with the rules to fully understand a session report, or is it not the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A review talks about how awesome (or not) a game is over its lifetime of multiple plays. A session report talks about how awesome (or not) a single play was for the players. That's my criteria for geekmodding reviews and session reports.

I expect session reports to say why the writer had such a great time playing that game, and usually they talk about a funny, unique, or sublime experience in that play session (or in the case of Gola's Amun-Re report, hilarious in-character personifications). It's more of a historical recording than an analysis of the merits of the game. If that kind of reading appeals to you, then reading session reports might be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't read session reports to learn about strategy or to decide if I am going to buy a game. I just appreciate a well-written session report on a topic I enjoy. If I am looking for some entertaining, light reading a session report can be just the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc iX
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main purpose in reading a session report is to see how much enjoyment other people get and to see how their gameplay went.

People often write their own perspectives into session reports. It's a good measure to see whether or not a game might be suited for your party.

Through preference, I choose to submit session reports as well to share my enthusiasm with the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read session reports about games I am interested in. Not EVERY one, but I do skim over some once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.