Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Squad input needed: Vader + stuff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lando
msg tools
I have been building squads that have a lot of synergy with each other, but redundancy as well. I have created what I think is just about the perfect swarm/action heavy/powerful squad that still has a decent number of ships, but doesn't get overly crowded. The current delima I have is a choice between an Academy Pilot and Howlrunner with Stealth or Winged Gundark and Howl with no stealth. The squad:

Vader (29)
- Squad Leader (2)

Howl Runner (18)
- Swarm Tactics (2)
- Stealth Device (3)

Black Squadron pilot (14)
- Swarm Tactics (2)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Academy Pilot (12)

I am really torn between the stealth on Howl or going without stealth and upgrading the Academy to Winged Gundark. A shooting PS 8 Winged Gundark could be really powerful, but at the cost of Howlrunner possibly getting killed one turn sooner than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Stealth on Howlrunner. She will be the first target. Keeping her alive a turn longer and getting 4 more rerolls is better than the chance to turn a crit. In my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
The thing that stands out to me is vader with squad leader. Without missiles what do you need the extra action for? I think all your ties only need to focus with the odd barrel roll, or am I missing something?

Can you find a point somewhere and swap it for marksmenship, or maybe swarm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
Lowecore wrote:
The thing that stands out to me is vader with squad leader. Without missiles what do you need the extra action for? I think all your ties only need to focus with the odd barrel roll, or am I missing something?

Can you find a point somewhere and swap it for marksmenship, or maybe swarm?

I am not sure what the question is. Vader is giving someone else a barrel roll or a boost at PS9, or say Evade to Howlrunner. Vader gets 2 actions by himself, so any other pilot with squad leader would be forfeiting their action to give tit o someone else, but Vader gets his own action in addition to giving someone else an action.

No, Marksmanship is not on the board at the moment. This entire squad is about movement control and getting within R1 or staying out of fire arcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
I think your main problem would be that you have too little ships, and hence not enough firepower. Winged Gundark isnt that scary because his ability only comes into play at range 1, and I have other ships (like your alpha TIEint or Howlrunner) to worry about.

with only 4 other ships, i would also consider letting you have your Howlrunner. Yes, she is deadly in a 6-7 ship squad, but in a 5 ship squad, i could somewhat easily wipe away your other ships, and Howlrunner will be left with nobody to pass her ability too. I'd guess you could easily part with the stealth device on her in that case.

Vader on squad leader isnt that bad, but it doesnt serve too much purpose here. As other users have mentioned, normally it is used to help give you the 2nd action needed to increase the potency of your missiles, or to help keep your ships alive for a little longer. So in your case, squadleader doesnt seem to be doing anything that yields tangible results, and hence is a rather weird choice, to be honest. Also, the moment Vader doesnt have 2 actions for himself, he is a very juicy 29pt++ target, and if you are playing by tourney rules, he will become a liability very very quickly.

Howlrunner swarm is alright, but suppose I were to take her out first, I would think that your Black sqd TIE would be wasted. Why not try Black sqd TIE + DrawTheirFire, then use the extra point to upgrade Academy TIE into Obsidian TIE? You get to protect your ships (w/o bleeding Vader's action with squad leader), and your general PS is high enough for you to deal with normal PS2 pilots without swarm chaining.

If you insist on swarm chaining, I would suggest you find 2 reasonably good "heads" that can start the chain, so that in the even that one dies, the other is still around to keep the chain going. Maybe you could give Vader swarmtactics instead of squadleader, for him to fulfill the role. Then you could go 99881, or 99911, or some other combination depending on your squad composition. Mauler Mithel is another rather good swarm starter, with PS7 and only costing you 19 points, plus a not-bad effect to boot.

TIEints really really need to shoot first, before they die. Also, with only 1 TIEint in your team, it will be aimed at and taken out very very quickly. Why not take stealth device, Academy TIE and Alpha TIEint, mash them together, and get a Bounty Hunter in exchange for the same 33 points? Or better still, Soontir + PTL + Stealth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
No real questions, Im just confused as to your choices. So your strategy is to fly you 5 ties into a squad of 4 xwings or a yt and 2 xwings and exchange close combat fire? Not sure that is the best swarm strategy but you seem confident in your build so g'luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gonna agree with others mentioned, 5 tie lists tend to just lack firepower AND hit points. I'd kill that Alpha Tie Int first round, then you're left with a really paltry 4 tie's with 2 attack die each for offense. Yes, you have howlrunner, but how is this better than a 6 or 7 tie swarm with the same howlrunner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
The general rule of thumb is that Howl is much more effective in a 6 or 7 tie swarm...

With respect to your original question: definitely put a stealth device on Howlrunner. Even in a 5 ship swarm you will want to keep her alive through the first two volleys.

I played this type of list a lot in wave one and had a lot of fun with it, but in the wave 2 world I had a hard time getting enough firepower out of it. Vader is just so darn expensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.