Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Fleming
United States
La Salle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
With a Heart and Mind United in a Single. Perfect. Sphere.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excerpt from the journal of Karl-Heinz Flogel, 5th(Viking) Wehrmacht Infantry Division:

"Our troop carrier roars down a smashed road, the driver doing his best to avoid the shell holes. The heat has become intolerable and the dust kicked up by the tanks and trucks clings to our sweat drenched skin. The smell of hot oil and gasoline is asphyxiating. Suddenly the convoy comes to an abrupt stop. Shrill whistles and shouting."
"BATTLE FORMATION! ON THE DOUBLE!"

My initial onslaught plan was highly successful. Blitzing units marched easily to their objectives. 39th PZ. (Army Group North) was able to capture Riga and Talinin. 24th PZ. (Army Group Center) captured Brest-Litovsk and Minsk. 14th PZ. (Army Group South) captured Kiev. 1st Cavalry, supported by Stuka Squadron StG. 9 blitzed through Odessa. After all Axis combat was complete I had encircled 10 Soviet units and grabbed the Ukraine Objective marker. However, I was only 1 for 6 (Kiev) on the Capture Bonus draws. And, while I was getting shot down on Capture Bonuses, there were some pretty choice cards going into the discard pile--such as Axis Allies Improve, Redeployment to an Elite unit and the Free Finns. So I will be hoping for a reshuffle card soon! I received the Gross Deutschland during the events phase.

Axis Blitz complete

Axis combat complete. Ten Soviet units are encircled.

Front line after mass Soviet surrender. The Reds will only be able to muster one counterattack--against the 39th PZ--which will prove ineffective.

Front line at the end of Summer 1941

End of Summer 1941 stats:
Initiative= +6 (5 for Soviet encirclement, 1 Capture Bonus, Ukraine Obj.
Victory Points= 1

Order of Battle for Autumn:
I have decided to put the Axis Strategic Mode into logistics (to gain that valuable >1). I really want to gain another Victory Point and my miserable capture bonus rating for the summer turn has my hands tied.
39th PZ. will blitz east to 0408 and then turn south under the Volkov River to 0508 and then east along hexrow 05xx as far as possible to begin the encirclement of Soviet units in the 06xx hexrow. Gross Duetchland will attempt to move east to begin putting pressure on Leningrad. 24th PZ. will try to take Smolensk (and hope like hell for a capture bonus) and then help close the door on the Soviet units in the 06xx hexrow by doubling back on the 05xx hexrow to meet up with the 39th PZ. if needed.
14th PZ. will have Kharkov as its primary objective. 1st Cavalry will once again be supported by Stuka Squadron StG. 9 (Luftwaffe supported blitz) for a drive on Rostov. I will need to pick up +3 initiative points to go along with the 3 (logistics, Kiev cap. bonus, Ukraine obj.) in my pocket to start the turn to win a victory point. This will probably be the last turn that I try to encircle Soviet units. I've never had much luck keeping them hemmed in after the first two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imflem wrote:
This will probably be the last turn that I try to encircle Soviet units. I've never had much luck keeping them hemmed in after the first two turns.
Agreed; once they start getting stronger, and you don't have the powerful first turn ability of immediately removing them after your movement, it becomes quite risky trying to hem them in and hope they don't break out during their turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls