Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night again as the US. I made it to the Headline Phase of Turn 4 (mid war). I thought I had done so well to make it this far given the fact that I had 2 previous hands of mostly 1 Ops Soviet Event Cards. I never got a scoring card either. At the start of the Headline Phase Turn 4 he tossed Asia scoring. He was at 15 and won instantly- in the 2 playings of this game I've never been able to get anywhere in Asia. I'm fighting a losing battle in the mideast and in Europe and can never spend any of the crucial ops points in Asia...

What a disaster! Is there a way the US can avoid a loss IF the Soviet player gets all the scoring cards in each of the 3 early war turns? Wow, that was frustrating. I want more!

angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of this may simply be the luck of the draw. However...

How were you playing your own "*" events in turn 1 and 2? If you played them as events you were depleting the deck, especially on turn 3, of US events. You should also be trying to play the removeable USSR events as painlessly as possible to get them out of the deck.

1 Ops cards belonging to the other player can be the worst, since you can't "space" them. Try to "space" events that go to the discard pile anyway, since you can't get rid of them.

See Jason's hints, on another thread, for US strategy. Also check out the Early War stratigy thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USA can win, I have done so. Even more, it can definitely last past turn 4, every single game I have played has lasted to turn 6 or more.

The first thing to note is that you must pay attention to Asia. It is worth more points than the Middle East. Were you playing with 4 USA Starting influence in Australia? This is the official errata on the starting position.

Most early scoring should be 0 either way, though losing a few points in the Middle East as USA is normal. The key thing is to take and hold battleground countries and to know the cards that affect them. For example, France is vulnerable to 2 Early War Soviet events, so you should concentrate on West Germany and Italy until those have happened. Non-battleground countries can also be used to block domination, and this is particualrly true in SE Asia, as they are worth points mid game. 1 influence takes Philippines, another 1 takes Indonesia...every little helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
Some of this may simply be the luck of the draw. However...

How were you playing your own "*" events in turn 1 and 2? If you played them as events you were depleting the deck, especially on turn 3, of US events. You should also be trying to play the removeable USSR events as painlessly as possible to get them out of the deck.

1 Ops cards belonging to the other player can be the worst, since you can't "space" them. Try to "space" events that go to the discard pile anyway, since you can't get rid of them.

See Jason's hints, on another thread, for US strategy. Also check out the Early War stratigy thread.

I was foregoing my events and using them as Ops. It's hard to conduct coups with cards that are of lower value, especially in key countries that have higher control values- Iraq, Iran, etc. I did read Jason's thoughts on US strategy. They are good guidelines and ones I had thought about before reading.

I just think that if the cards go a certain way (not unlikely) it doesn't matter what the US does... so the strategy assumes a more even card disposition between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
USA can win, I have done so. Even more, it can definitely last past turn 4, every single game I have played has lasted to turn 6 or more.

The first thing to note is that you must pay attention to Asia. It is worth more points than the Middle East. Were you playing with 4 USA Starting influence in Australia? This is the official errata on the starting position.

Most early scoring should be 0 either way, though losing a few points in the Middle East as USA is normal. The key thing is to take and hold battleground countries and to know the cards that affect them. For example, France is vulnerable to 2 Early War Soviet events, so you should concentrate on West Germany and Italy until those have happened. Non-battleground countries can also be used to block domination, and this is particualrly true in SE Asia, as they are worth points mid game. 1 influence takes Philippines, another 1 takes Indonesia...every little helps.

I'm sure the US can win- I was asking can they avoid defeat if they don't any of the scoring in the first 3 rounds of the early war? Anyone had that situation?

No, we weren't playing with the Australia errata. Thanks for the thoughts, good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can win if they don't do any of the scoring in the first 3 rounds. Actually, enemy having a scoring card means he gets less Ops, so should be an advantage if you can work out he has it- and of course you can be fairly sure of what he has by round 2.

The Australian errata is important in this context: without it USA doesn't control any countries in Asia and USSR controls one Battle ground country and so could play Asia scoring for 4 points straight away.

Coups in high stability countries like Iraq are losing propositions in any case. I never launch a coup at a country with stability > 2. That is probably too inflexible, but its a reasonable rule of thumb.

You should be able to keep Prescence in Europe and Asia, and to get and keep it in Middle East, even with apalling cards. You should also be able to prevent dominance in one of Europe/Asia.

Anyway, keep playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely be playing again. Right, the Australian errata is BIG.

With respect to the Soviet having the scoring rounds, I agree that it keeps him from conducting ops. I think that it is great for the Soviet to have them given a couple of poor US hands- like I had. 8-)

But, the advantage to the Soviet holding the scoring cards can not be overlooked. The Soviet is already in the power position in early war. That, coupled with driving scoring can be very powerful... even with the loss of ops cards. The US player is going to have to play some of those Soviet events at some point- as the Soviet I'd trade 1 Ops card for a scoring card anyday. Why? Because, I know the US will be helping me in some part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem, couple of typos in my previous post, now corrected.

Soviet events are a nuisance. There are some things you can do about them (discussed in the Early War Strategy thread). In general, play the starred ones so as to get rid of them permanently. The two 1 Ops Soviet Cards are Nasser and Romanian Abdication. RA should be played by USA straight away, IMHO: so that Independent Reds will have a function. Nasser is a nuisance, I admit.

Oh also, while it is fine to play your events as Ops, you generally want to use the Japan event in Japan (3 Ops) plus 1 Op elsewhere (Philippines is my usual target). That gives you a battleground country in Asia, and it also helps vs Korean War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, I did play RA and Nasser, as I had too. Never saw the Japanese card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen that situation, so I can't comment on that. I have only won once as the USA, (against my 8 year old), in I think turn 8. I had been doing pretty well except in Europe, where he had, or was about to have control. Luckily I was ahead by 8, and got the Europe Scoring card AND got the Wargames card...Game over, victory USA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards should turn up. But you wouldn't see a card if USSR held it, I guess.

Holding is interesting- which USSR event should you hold, if you have a choice? Well my favorite is "Fidel", but "Nasser" is also a candidate. You want to wait until the first Mid-East scoring before playing "Nasser", and there is always the chance of drawing Un Intervention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its rough if your opponent gets all the scoring cards. I dont think the loss of ops outweighs this, as they can pick the absolutely most inopportune time to score the region. In fact, I think the USA has a much easier time when they get the scoring cards.... I have mitgated a lot of damage by playing them fast, or snagged domination for one turn and scored quickly to stay alive.

Your experience (well, besides not starting with the Aussies) of getting low ops USSR events and your opponent being loaded with scoring cards cant end well, at least vs a competent player. A weakness of shared-deck CDG's, but shouldn't happen too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely.

Can't wait to play again, though. It's a really interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Definitely.

Can't wait to play again, though. It's a really interesting game.

I agree. However, my next game will have to wait until I find an eight-year-old to play as the USSR too. Even things out a bit.

It's a great game, but it certainly has the potential to cause a few table-flippings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, table flippings are funny. When we were younger we'd have game clearings. Sweeping the board of all it's bits- like Dark Tower and Conquest of the Empire, etc. Funny seeing all those catapults flying through the air!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.