60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Cthulhu wars= fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt G
msg tools
I had the good fortune of playing this at NTRPG Con. There were four players with Sandy giving instruction. The game was fast and fun. The minis are beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obvious shill is obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umm... That it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG will eventually get rid of the reviews by people like Joel Eddy, Marco Arnaudo, Undead Viking, etc., and go with this more succinct format. On the other hand...no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I think BGG will eventually get rid of the reviews by people like Joel Eddy, Marco Arnaudo, Undead Viking, etc., and go with this more succinct format. On the other hand...no.
It does invoke images of Hemmingway playing Cthulhu Wars, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this was a shill he would have actually rated the game. But you know, he didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
If this was a shill he would have actually rated the game. But you know, he didn't.
Case solved!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
DeePee wrote:
Case solved!thumbsup
No wonder I'm a PI in real life. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks to go...

When do you think we'll get some gameplay feedback that doesn't have Sandy or his family involved?

Is there only one copy of this game in the whole world?

littlemonkey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemonkey wrote:
Two weeks to go...

When do you think we'll get some gameplay feedback that doesn't have Sandy or his family involved?

Is there only one copy of this game in the whole world?

littlemonkey
At the price they're selling - yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have said there is only 1 copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
"When do you think we'll get some gameplay feedback that doesn't have Sandy or his family involved?

"Is there only one copy of this game in the whole world?"

How about here and here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/989154/cthulhu-wars-a-review

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/994100/cthulhu-wars-a-pre-re...

And Sandy has asked for people to come and play here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990645/reviewers-requested

Also, THIS WEEKEND NOW there is a Dallas Gaming Marathon where he is presenting the game and letting anyone play (I am out of town and couldn't make it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
"When do you think we'll get some gameplay feedback that doesn't have Sandy or his family involved?

How about here and here:

Also, THIS WEEKEND NOW there is a Dallas Gaming Marathon where he is presenting the game and letting anyone play (I am out of town and couldn't make it).
Looks like both of those playthroughs involve Sandy in some way being there. Though I'm not saying the game is bad, I would be very leery investing in it due to its high price and lack of information coming from anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
He doesnt mention the word review in the title or his post, nor does he post it to that forum. I'm not saying you should go out and back the game based on this post at all, but I dont understand why new users are given such a hard time. Dont we want more people in the hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
existoid wrote:

How about here and here:

Looks like both of those playthroughs involve Sandy in some way being there. Though I'm not saying the game is bad, I would be very leery investing in it due to its high price and lack of information coming from anyone.

The Steve Jackson website describes what I'm asking about:

"Careful outside playtesting is necessary, or mistakes – lots of mistakes – will get through. This seems like a Bad Thing, and we try to avoid it." (http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/playtest.html)

How much outside playtesting has this game actually had if there is only one copy?

littlemonkey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Looks like both of those playthroughs involve Sandy in some way being there. Though I'm not saying the game is bad, I would be very leery investing in it due to its high price and lack of information coming from anyone."

Look, every playtest session will involve Sandy in some way. It is a prototype, not a finished product, and there is only one copy.

But it has been played by over 50 people in the past 7 months, only about 8 of them have been family members or people on the 3 man Green Eye Games team. It has been brought to 2 conventions so far (one in North Texas, another in Oregon), and is now being played at the Dallas Gaming Marathon.

There is an open invitation for people on BGG to come and play the game (in fact, as early as March a guy from BGG played it).

I wish every single one of those dozens of people would come on BGG and say what they thought about it.

I am sincerely curious, what do other boardgame KS projects do? I am sure if there is more that can be done to get more and more people to play it and talk about their experience Sandy would absolutely do it. What do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy keeps a log of everyone who has played, as all of their names (I am assuming) will be in the rulebook as playtesters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
He doesnt mention the word review in the title or his post, nor does he post it to that forum. I'm not saying you should go out and back the game based on this post at all, but I dont understand why new users are given such a hard time. Dont we want more people in the hobby?

you're right- new users shouldn't be given a hard time. but maybe 'new' users who create an account to post nothing more than "it is fun" should be greeted with a little skepticism.

This game may be great. it may be awful. But a thread like this is at best worthless and at worst a poor marketing attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
DanKD wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

you're right- new users shouldn't be given a hard time. but maybe 'new' users who create an account to post nothing more than "it is fun" should be greeted with a little skepticism.

This game may be great. it may be awful. But a thread like this is at best worthless and at worst a poor marketing attempt.
Do you have a list of acceptable posts for a new user?

Also, you didn't even inquire to know more or have him explain himself further, you just dismissed him and called him a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
"Looks like both of those playthroughs involve Sandy in some way being there. Though I'm not saying the game is bad, I would be very leery investing in it due to its high price and lack of information coming from anyone."

Look, every playtest session will involve Sandy in some way. It is a prototype, not a finished product, and there is only one copy.

But it has been played by over 50 people in the past 7 months, only about 8 of them have been family members or people on the 3 man Green Eye Games team. It has been brought to 2 conventions so far (one in North Texas, another in Oregon), and is now being played at the Dallas Gaming Marathon.

There is an open invitation for people on BGG to come and play the game (in fact, as early as March a guy from BGG played it).

I wish every single one of those dozens of people would come on BGG and say what they thought about it.

I am sincerely curious, what do other boardgame KS projects do? I am sure if there is more that can be done to get more and more people to play it and talk about their experience Sandy would absolutely do it. What do you recommend?

I've seen some other games that send PnP versions to playtesters. A game is a game, and can be played without the miniatures (though they sure do look pretty good, and I understand why they have raised the cost of the game to pay for their production). I'd really like to everyone to come give good feedback about the game as well. The Original Poster doesn't really offer anything to the discussion other than he liked it, and because the account is a day old, he really looks like a shill (not saying he is or isn't, just what it looks like).

Also, you don't have to jump down my throat. I never said I didn't like the game, or that it looked terrible, just that the two that you linked in response to someone asking if they all took place with Sandy did, both in fact, involve him as well. The rest of my statement stands. It's an expensive game (which I understand) that has little information about play out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if it sounded like I jumped down your throat (I probably should not have used the word "look" at the beginning.

But seriously, I was asking for a suggestion - we have let tons and tons of people playtest it, and in a variety of places.

The PnP is a good idea, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

Also, you didn't even inquire to know more or have him explain himself further, you just dismissed him and called him a name.
oh please. i responded to an account that for all appearances seems to have been created to post this one comment about a kickstarter campaign that already has many people wondering why we're not hearing meaty details.

pardon me if i feel the onus is on the poster to support his statements.
if he chooses not to do so, people are allowed to draw their own conclusions from the data provided. or is that not on your list of acceptable reactions to a post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
DanKD wrote:

oh please. i responded to an account that for all appearances seems to have been created to post this one comment about a kickstarter campaign that already has many people wondering why we're not hearing meaty details.

pardon me if i feel the onus is on the poster to support his statements.
if he chooses not to do so, people are allowed to draw their own conclusions from the data provided. or is that not on your list of acceptable reactions to a post?
You are free to do what you want of course, but in general, no, I do not find insulting someone as an acceptable response.

This is way off topic though, so I am done with that part of the conversation.

To the original poster, welcome to BGG! People here are mostly nice, but it's definitely best not to take things too seriously .
To
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also wouldn't necessarily say calling this a shill post as 'insulting' or 'namecalling'. I guess time will tell if the OP comes back and supports his position.

DanKD wrote:
but it's definitely best not to take things too seriously .
To
indeed, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh people, calm down.

It's just a game, and if this person played it and liked it and felt the urge to post something to that effect, then that's the person's opinion.

I don't think there was anything implying that you MUST like it too, or purchase it.

We're all adults here, aren't we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |