Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
OK, I got my new copy of the 8th Ed. Thru. AM, 6/20/13.

4] The little spaceship/lifeboats are in the 3 Bays. Even without going outside the Znutar crew members could take refuge in them when they are cornered by the GT or to avoid the effects of a weapon, like rocket fuel, being used in the Bay. Moving into or out of them costs 1 Movement Factor. The GT can't open the hatches so they are safe there. To bad the new boat counters are so big.

5] You could use the blank GT counter as a MegaGT. It is what happens if you "Grow" an Adult with a weapon. Instead of laying an egg, an Adult that is hit with a "Grow" result becomes a MegaGT. Speed = 3, # attack dice = 6, and constitution = 20. Otherwise treat it as an Adult. Additional Adults lay Eggs, as usual. Sorry, give me a piece and I am compelled to find a use for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starting out with equal GT populations and 3 other variant rules
Great ideas.
To reduce bad luck on weapon chit pulls,
we simply allowed 2 mulligan redraws per game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised initial population table works pretty well. It evens out bad start rolls pretty well. I noticed that the Obnoxious Orange Things variant did away with that roll entirely, but Insidious Purple Things brought it back.

I like the boat-refuge idea. It's already indirectly in the rules.

I think refilling hypos my be more trouble than it's worth. If you refill less than all the deployed hypos, aren't you creating a bookkeeping problem? No a good move in a beer & pretzels game.

Make-a-weapon is interesting. Mostly do to the event happening in sci-fi shows. I would change the effect draw to a spread of one you want (pick out the chit) and 2 random ones. Mix those 3 then draw. Then the time to make the weapon may just be too long to be worth the trouble (that would be a player choice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of hiding in the lifeboats; it is logical, although it could be used as an exploit to pre-stage crewmen for abandoning ship. Possibly the rule could be amended so that crew could only hide in the boats for a limited number of turns, or have to exit the boat as soon as the AGTs left the hangar bay.
Refilling hypos with something different would I think take too much time and be a record-keeping annoyance. A second power setting for stun pistols would IMO be much easier. And not too unbalancing since stun pistols can only be used on one target at a time, just like the hypos.
Manufacturing new weapons would IMO take too long. It would tie up crewmen urgently needed elsewhere, and in any case I don't think the AGTs would allow them the luxury of spending several turns unmolested.
Interesting rules though, and I will definitely try out the spawn tables and boat hiding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
plloyd1010 wrote:
The revised initial population table works pretty well. It evens out bad start rolls pretty well. I noticed that the Obnoxious Orange Things variant did away with that roll entirely, but Insidious Purple Things brought it back.

I like the boat-refuge idea. It's already indirectly in the rules.

I think refilling hypos my be more trouble than it's worth. If you refill less than all the deployed hypos, aren't you creating a bookkeeping problem? Not a good move in a beer & pretzels game.

Make-a-weapon is interesting. Mostly do to the event happening in sci-fi shows. I would change the effect draw to a spread of one you want (pick out the chit) and 2 random ones. Mix those 3 then draw. Then the time to make the weapon may just be too long to be worth the trouble (that would be a player choice).

plloyd wrote, "I think refilling hypos my be more trouble than it's worth. If you refill less than all the deployed hypos, aren't you creating a bookkeeping problem? Not a good move in a beer & pretzels game."

I think that you missed where I said, "Pick up all the hypos and return them to the sickbay." If you do this there is no bookkeeping problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you increase the chance of getting the weapon chit that you want, then you should return the undrawn chips to the cup so they are still availible to be drawn for new weapons later..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.