Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished watching the walkthrough video posted by Sandy on Kickstarter and I am concerned that I won't like the "gathering power" mechanism.

According to the video, the main way to gather power is from having cultists and gates. You then use this power to do everything else in the game, from spawning gates, recruiting cultists, spawning monsters, to moving ritual marker to gain points on the doom track. He also states there is an advantage to being first player, with first player being determined by most power.

So what happens if you get low on cultists and/or gates? Is there a way to catch up, or will you be left with a lot of downtime, waiting for the game to end while the other players probably take more turns than you every round? Sandy even says that other players will continue to take actions while you "sit there idly". I know I won't like this, even if I'm not the one sitting idly.

So, unless I've gotten this all wrong, it sounds like this game itself isn't for me, though the minis are still tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a minimum power during the gather power phase. It is half (rounded up) of the player with the highest power. So, even if you have completely lost all your gates and cultists (which I think I've seen once out of all the many many games I've seen and played), you will still have a significant amount of power, because if you are out, someone else must have a lot of stuff, and you will have half that for free.

Also, the turns are extremely fast, even when you're out of power. Watch the full game session up on youtube. No one sits for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has various balancing mechanisms so you should rarely be out of play. There is the minimum power rule (1/2 of highest powerpool), need to do rituals which drains power, and special abilities tied to being less powerful. Another thread here went into much more detail than this.

poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
One poster here mentioned the minimum power rule.

I will say that people's power bounces around a lot between turns. Example: in the game we played last Thursday, at one point Cthulhu was receiving minimum power. He had 2 Gates and 3 Cultists for a total Power of 7. Yellow Sign had 21 Power, so Cthulhu got bumped up to 11.

Two turns later, Cthulhu's Power was at 19, and Yellow Sign was down to 5, except of course the minimum power rule boosted him to 10 but he was still feeling the hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb