Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is quite serious with the rules for posting pictures, copyright etc.
What about when someone uses a picture you posted on BGG and, putting a even more disappointing watermark on it, uses it for his own ebay auction?

The picture of the game on the table is mine and available on the gallery here:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1309294391...

This shop is using our pictures from BGG galleries also for other games on ebay. I never did it when selling games on ebay, even just as a form of respect of the author. This is really bad.

Any rule about that? Should this guy at least ask my permission?

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The item seems to have been deleted (if I read the Italian correctly -- I can't be sure).

In general, Yes! people must ask your permission before using your photos. It looks like you've chosen "All Rights Reserved" for your BGG photos (BGG asks you this when uploading), which should make it even clearer to a potential "borrower".

Unfortunately, this is the internet, and people don't usually ask. If you haven't already, you should (nicely) inform the holder of that auction that they are using your photos without permission. That alone may surprise them! Also give them specific directions, for example: Do you want them to ask you permission? Do you want them to give you credit? Do you want them to remove it entirely? In any case, give them definite directions and a deadline by which to reply. Most likely there is a way to report infringement to eBay if the deadline passes without action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I don't see the auction either.

I don't know how things are in Italy, but in the US if someone is violating your copyright, you can send a take down notice to the web host to have the image removed.

In the US it seems that most of the images are hosted by ebay, so for a US listing, this page seems to be place the to go to contact them to remove offending content. Perhaps there is a similar thing for the foreign versions.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rare cases I have been asked permission, it always felt really good. :-)
Just taking an image from a stranger without asking is not legitimate. Whether you want to do anything about it is up to you - how much does it bother you? A friendly message to the ebay lister sounds about like all I would be willing to invest in such a case. But it's up to you, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The auction was actually on the US site of Ebay.
And yes he removed it, probably after my Ebay message pointing out at least he should have asked my permission in advance.

Another example:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Also for this game he used a BGG picture from someone else.

He has thousands of games listed... one cent for each photo would be a great donation for BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
In the rare cases I have been asked permission, it always felt really good. :-)
Just taking an image from a stranger without asking is not legitimate. Whether you want to do anything about it is up to you - how much does it bother you? A friendly message to the ebay lister sounds about like all I would be willing to invest in such a case. But it's up to you, of course.

This is what i did, but he has thousands of games listed... maybe other people would like to check their own pictures....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats not a person thats a game store..

http://www.nobleknight.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
And someone runs the store or at least is responsible for the web content, possibly Aaron Leeder.
http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=NOBLEKNIGHT.CO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the nasty side effects of not allowing watermarked images on BGG.

It's not the only cause, but it would be a bit harder if they were watermarked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron Leeder
United States
Janesville
WI
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noble indeed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron has commented on this in another thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4646581#4646581
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
You should contact the Community Manager about this:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chill out. the web's a tangled mess of borrowed content, even all the way up to news stories. 99% of people do it, and 1% of people really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
chill out. the web's a tangled mess of borrowed content, even all the way up to news stories. 99% of people do it, and 1% of people really care.

True; what bothers me more is that the seller might be using somebody else's image to misrepresent their product - probably not, but it happens.

Years ago, an image of Judge Dredd I uploaded was borrowed for somebody's auction; I wasn't that bothered, but I was concerned the culprit might be selling a pig in a poke. That sort of thing needs to be prevented, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
Aaron has commented on this in another thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4646581#4646581

Quite an arrogant position.
No reply from him on ebay yet, i emailed him directly now.
Same pictures are also on its website...
probably his "employees" are to lazy to make pictures themselves of the game they are actually selling.. or maybe have no physical access to the real game at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:

99% of people do not post useless comment on what other people should consider important or not, 1% do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
willsargent wrote:

True; what bothers me more is that the seller might be using somebody else's image to misrepresent their product - probably not, but it happens.

Years ago, an image of Judge Dredd I uploaded was borrowed for somebody's auction; I wasn't that bothered, but I was concerned the culprit might be selling a pig in a poke. That sort of thing needs to be prevented, if possible.

I've lifted hundreds of images for ebay sales and other content but always sent the correct product because I'm (half) decent. You can't stop human nature, and just because an ad is created a zillion miles away by poking sticks at words and pictures doesn't guarantee anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.