Hi there !
This is my first post on this forum, and I excuse myself for the faults you'll read in this text, due to my frenchyness.
During a board-game-night started at 3 pm, my friends and me finally wanted to begin a final party of something not too complex but not as simple as a party game. Everybody wanted to Smashed Up each other, the game that we love the most by those times. Problem : we were 5... Here came the idea, at 2 am, after 11 hours of tough gaming...
SMASH UP PARTY !
(The following is only using the original box, and is for 5 players. Extensions can be used, and it can be play with less or more players, but the description only is for 5)
- Take the 8 factions and suffle all of them together into a big deck of 160 cards. I mean really suffling, it's important. This is the boring step I have to admit, and having a sleaved game is a big help.
- Once all is really suffled, give 4 "boosters" of 8 cards to the players.
- Draft the first booster passing to the left, and the following to the right, etc. (Drafting is to secretly watch your boosters, take a card, then pass the remaining to the left/right depending of the turn)
- When everybody has his own deck of 32 cards, let's go ! Everyone plays ALL his cards taken during the draft. Set Up 5 bases, and players will place his minions in a corner of them, and the fifth will be placed on a side of bases.
- Another rule to apply : If 4 players are already on a base, the fifth can't go on !
A game of Smash Up Party last 3 rounds, all played with the same deck for each player. In a board, write after each round how much VP players had at the end (still need 15 VP to win the round), with in another column their ranking (1st, 2nd,...). After the 3rd round, the player with the lower total of his 3 rankings wins the Smash Up Party (ex: being 4th, then 3rd, then 1st will be an 8 for the final discount). If there is a tie, add the VP gained during the game to decide the best player.
This variant was really, really fun, with crazy tricks you'll never do another way, and drafting is really entertaining. The fact that you will play 3 games will not make the better deck win again and again, surprisingly : I ran a very strong deck, which allowed me to easily win the first two rounds. I was pretty clearly the favorite for the first place at the end... But in the 3rd round, it was actually a 4 men against 1, and I could see myself being 2nd in the final discount if I went last of 5 in the 3rd round. I succeeded to finish 4th, and finally won the first Smash Up Party of the universe, but it's the total of VPs that decides the winner.
I recommend everybody who enjoys the game to try this out. I guess it works even better with 2 boxes of the standard game, shuffling all and removing a half, then you will have a very different draft for all Parties you'll make, and most of all, you could end up with a deck with 6 Tenacious Z
And for you lucky men, it goes really really crazy with expansions.
- Last edited Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 pm