Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been busy lately, but due to some inconvenient timing with work I have plenty of time to dedicate to designing once again.

Surviving Atlantis is a card driven game, that will involved tile laying. This will be a 1-6 player cooperative game, where you live in Atlantis and your goal is to escape before the city sinks. There will be 3 decks of cards equaling a total of 52 cards.

Decks:
Tiles
Character Cards (With unique abilities)
Events

The tiles, will be various locations some will be streets while others will have special rules to the individual tiles

The Character Cards will each be unique and will all have their own benefits and weaknesses.

The Events will include items that will help you survive Atlantis and disaster cards that will cause Atlantis to sink faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kinda like Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Simmilar approach to a game I'd got going through playtesting now.

Players as characters from various times lost on Atlantis and trying to discover a means of escape. Cards for the regions, characters, encounters and items that might be found.

Though yours is going in a very different direction. And I've been considering relocating the setting to a version of my original RPG books Lemuria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
after starting, I've decided that I will need a fourth deck for item cards (which will also be used for scoring)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli, it will have a little bit of a Forbidden Island taste with a little bit of Adventurers of Chac thrown in.

John, I haven't put much research into mine yet, for characters, regions, abilities or items. But given time I'm hoping to have some decent ones created to go with the game theme. I picked up a deck of playing cards today at the thrift shop to use as the cards for my game, but am thinking I might have to make a return trip to pick up a second deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use index cards cut in half and things noted down on them in pencil. That way can tweak on the fly as go through testing and refining.

Biggest problem for me is settling on 12 starting characters from 6 different eras. I need to keep the initial number down to something managable as each character has 3 cards each minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have the layout for the location tiles, still going to have to try them out but they seemed to work thus far. But had to get some more tape so I can make my cards a little bit more changeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will help you play test if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
I will help you play test if need be.
sounds good, its gonna be a while still but I'll keep you in mind when I get them that far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

I've got 6 characters created with roles.
I've also got 10 of the 13 event cards created, but am having designers block with the last 3.

Still gotta create the 13 Item cards and then I'll have a base prototype to start tweaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
I've been busy lately, but due to some inconvenient timing with work I have plenty of time to dedicate to designing once again.

Surviving Atlantis is a card driven game, that will involved tile laying. This will be a 1-6 player cooperative game, where you live in Atlantis and your goal is to escape before the city sinks. There will be 3 decks of cards equaling a total of 52 cards.

Decks:
Tiles
Events

The tiles, will be various locations some will be streets while others will have special rules to the individual tiles

The Character Cards will each be unique and will all have their own benefits and weaknesses.

The Events will include items that will help you survive Atlantis and disaster cards that will cause Atlantis to sink faster.
Update:
I have the first 52 cards created and have decided that I'm going to need more cards to make this playable. I'm also going to remove the co-op game play and turn it into a racing game where you are trying to race to the exit in order to survive the sinking of the city.

Currently my decks include:
6 Role Cards
13 Event Cards
13 Item Cards
22 Location Tiles

Plus 6 pawns
1 D6
1 D4

and still need to make flood counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
blaird wrote:

Decks:
Tiles
Events

Update:
I have the first 52 cards created and have decided that I'm going to need more cards to make this playable. I'm also going to remove the co-op game play and turn it into a racing game where you are trying to race to the exit in order to survive the sinking of the city.

Currently my decks include:
6 Role Cards
13 Event Cards
13 Item Cards
22 Location Tiles

Plus 6 pawns
1 D6
1 D4

and still need to make flood counters.
Update:

I have the initial prototype done, now to tweak the rules to get them perfect and start testing myself before trying to recruit beta testers, but getting closer to being ready for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

I have playtested my prototype twice now, it takes about 15 minutes to play a complete 5 player game, while taking notes of things that need to be fixed. I have removed one of the roles narrowing it down from 6 to 5 as I realized I had two characters with duplicate abilities. I've also changed a couple of cards that made the game impossible. I plan on playing it a few more times with another human instead of solitaire then I'll begin to scan cards and counters in for beta testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made changes to this and am happy with what I have seen in the closed beta testing thus far. I'm going to make some changes to the rules, and start scanning stuff in and making some design edits via photoshop. Once done with this I will be all set for open beta.

One of my closed beta testers said:

"This is a cute kids game, that can also double as a beer and pretzel game"

said by Robert Laird
Robert Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide