Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rant on:

Why do people put things on their trade lists and then never respond when there is a match? I have sent at least five different geek mails this month asking if the person is willing to trade before sending the trade request and only one person has responded. It is not like I am offering one-sided trades. I check spielboy.com and try to make the trade as fair as possible. In fact, I have turned down trades because I felt I was taking advantage of the other person and offered more to even things out.

I understand that people get busy. but is it too much to ask to respond to a geek mail asking about a trade that you are advertising? I wish there was a way to filter this so that only those people who have updated their trade lists or have completed a trade recently showed up as a direct match.

It is extremely frustrating when you have a trade match that is fair and the other person never responds. Not a "thanks, but no thanks", not even a "go f**k yourself" email. If you are not even courteous enough to respond, please clear out your "want in trade" list, please.

If you are a person who responds, even if it is a "no", I thank you.

Rant off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggestion: Active Trader setting
Preach it, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I did. Start an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see this as a huge deal, but I do understand the frustration.

And I usually do respond to trades, but I am the forgetful type, so it is more than possible I've forgotten about one or two requests. Of course, I know that I let things slip my mind, so I take great pains to compensate for my lack. In this case, it is responding immediately to messages. So maybe I've not forgotten requests? I can't remember not remembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
Do what I did. Start an auction.

I prefer the trade route since I don't really have enough games for a significant auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
I don't really see this as a huge deal, but I do understand the frustration.

And I usually do respond to trades, but I am the forgetful type, so it is more than possible I've forgotten about one or two requests. Of course, I know that I let things slip my mind, so I take great pains to compensate for my lack. In this case, it is responding immediately to messages. So maybe I've not forgotten requests? I can't remember not remembering.

Someone should do a study to determine if BGG causes Alzheimer's because apparently lots of people have it on this site. Oh wait, they already did a study:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/southkorea/10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I agree with you Jon. I have had the same experience. About 75% of my trade offers never get a single response. I even check their last log in date to make sure they log in frequently. To me it seems rude to not send a simple email response, which takes 15 seconds or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
I agree with you Jon. I have had the same experience. About 75% of my trade offers never get a single response. I even check their last log in date to make sure they log in frequently. To me it seems rude to not send a simple email response, which takes 15 seconds or less.

I check the last log in time as well. BGG is a great community that I have always found to be respectful for the most part, but this one thing always burns me up. I try to be respectful and send an email before I send a trade request, but even that is ignored. I wish there was a better way.

Oh, the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak and what generated this rant in the first place, was when I had someone contact me about a game I had listed on the Monthly Flea Market geek list. I replied with a geek mail and I never heard anything back.angry In other words, they contacted me for a trade, I replied with multiple options, and then never heard from them again.

Thanks for your response, though. Sorry you are having the issue as me.

Edited for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a trade request geekmail once, and I responded to it even though it was for a game not on my trade list.

I rather expect that people who do have games on trade lists probably get a lot of requests and geekmails. I can imagine it would become tedious replying to all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have responded to every trade request (I think) at some point. There have been offers that intrigue me, but I need to do a little research for, and then I forget, and don't get back to them for a week or two.

Ive been on the other end where a trade offee never gets a response, and it can be frustrating, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. People have busy/crazy lives and sometimes a trade offer gets forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This drives me freaking crazy. I'm in the middle of this right now. I'm just waiting for the inevitible third day to pass so that I can make an offer to someone else. It literally takes 15 seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I admit I have forgotten to respond to trade offers before, but only rarely. I do try to respond and give a polite reason for why I am interested in trading but won't make the trade they are offering me—though trying to give a real explanation for why I'm not interested right now, and the thought and time that takes, is usually why I put it off when I have; and thus why I have forgotten some. blush

I once spent a week trying terrifically hard to get somebody who logged in every day to simply say yes or no to a trade request. I got a response weeks, and e-mails, later; but it was a very unfun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I would't let it bother you much. No need to be in a rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why people can at least have the courtesy to respond back if you send an inquiry about a potential trade. Seems a lot of people expect the world when they trade, like their copy of the game is magically worth two times as much as the next guys. The worse is people who don't update their lists after they sell/trade a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Seems a lot of people expect the world when they trade, like their copy of the game is magically worth two times as much as the next guys.

I didn't even want to touch this subject. There is a person on BGG that does this a lot. Here is an real example, all games are in like new condition:

He offers me a trade of his $14 game for two of my games that are worth $10 and $27 respectively.

I decline but say that I will still trade but I need something more to even things out. I check his trade list and find 3 options that make the trade almost even. It is still a 2-for-2 trade, but the values are within pennies of each other.

He declines saying that he doesn't think the trade is worth it. He says he can buy both of my games online for $10 and $25 respectively so it isn't a good deal for him.

I reply with the correct math for game value from the same online retailer he quoted me. I show him that the values are almost exact and we both are getting games we want and it is an even trade. I also show him that one of the games he wants is out of stock at said online retailer. I also told him that if he didn't want to trade, I am ok with it, just don't blame it on the fact that the deal was imbalanced. I didn't mention the fact that he was totally ok with the deal if I was getting a $14 game and he was getting two games valued at $37, but he was somehow getting screwed if the trade were even.

This person trades a lot of games here so I assume people are either gullible or desperate, but I don't think I will ever trade with this person.

When I trade, I try to be fair. I trade for games that I want to play, not as a business transaction to trade up again or sell. To each his own I guess.

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a lot of people won't trade unless it is in their favor and while I want a good deal just like thr next guy it can't always happen. So if you're not going to play a game and it's in your trade list suck it up and let it go. So what if the trade is off by a couple of bucks, help a fellow geek out and get something you will play instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Seems a lot of people expect the world when they trade, like their copy of the game is magically worth two times as much as the next guys.

I didn't even want to touch this subject. There is a person on BGG that does this a lot. Here is an real example, all games are in like new condition:

He offers me a trade of his $14 game for two of my games that are worth $10 and $27 respectively.

I decline but say that I will still trade but I need something more to even things out. I check his trade list and find 3 options that make the trade almost even. It is still a 2-for-2 trade, but the values are within pennies of each other.

He declines saying that he doesn't think the trade is worth it. He says he can buy both of my games online for $10 and $25 respectively so it isn't a good deal for him.

I reply with the correct math for game value from the same online retailer he quoted me. I show him that the values are almost exact and we both are getting games we want and it is an even trade. I also show him that one of the games he wants is out of stock at said online retailer. I also told him that if he didn't want to trade, I am ok with it, just don't blame it on the fact that the deal was imbalanced. I didn't mention the fact that he was totally ok with the deal if I was getting a $14 game and he was getting two games valued at $37, but he was somehow getting screwed if the trade were even.

This person trades a lot of games here so I assume people are either gullible or desperate, but I don't think I will ever trade with this person.

When I trade, I try to fair. I trade for games that I want to play, not as a business transaction to trade up again or sell. To each his own I guess.

Edited for clarity.

I think I know who youre talking about. There is definitely the potential for some nice supplemental income through trading/auctioning games then flipping them for profit. I stay away from this, although I have been tempted to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another amen.
I have finally learned to not buy something unless I can play it and/or I get to watch a detailed video with mechanics and impressions covered very well.

Since I have to form a group to play any games and also have to provide the game and teach it, it's not worth my time and money to be an early adopter any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Just made two more trade offers with no response from either (and they both logged in every day of the trade). Both requests were for balanced and fair trades IMO. Have to agree that if they aren't even going to respond then they should clear out their "Want in Trade" items.
I don't get why a simple "No Thanks" response is so hard to fathom. Where's the courtesy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Just made two more trade offers with no response from either (and they both logged in every day of the trade). Both requests were for balanced and fair trades IMO. Have to agree that if they aren't even going to respond then they should clear out their "Want in Trade" items.
I don't get why a simple "No Thanks" response is so hard to fathom. Where's the courtesy?

amen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I respond, but seeing this made me realize I missed responding to my last one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ran into both of these issues along with getting negative feedback on a trade that the gentleman left while all along he admits that it was he who was not able to fulfill the trade.

I try to trade as even as I can and I have no problems with throwing in extras if I get to know the person (extras such as promos from other games). I also get people who say they will get back with me at a said date and I hear nothing from them. Yes, it does get old fast but it seems this is how things go here on BGG.

I myself would like to build a network of people to trade with and help one another find games and the such. I have started to attend Gen Con after learning I am only 4 hours away so I am able to help pick up items if need be. With that being said I picked up a few items for a gentleman this past Gen Con from BGG who agreed to send me two of his extra figures from a Kickstarter pledge as a thank you (as I only asked him to pay cost of the items he wanted plus postage.). Long story short I never received the two figures he said he would send. The gentleman did pay for the items plus the shipping so I am thankful for that but truth be told it left a bad taste in my mouth that he would not fulfill his end of the agreement.

So in closing if anyone would like to build a network and work together I am more than happy to do so and would like to speak with you about such. Just PM me and we can get the ball rolling. Till next time...

Game on;
-John-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kimmel
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming in a little late to this rant, but even after a six week long stint of trading in which I had over about twenty trade requests ignored, I can only halfway agree with you.

Here's where I agree: if a user puts something on their trade list and on their want list, they should respond to any trade offer. After all, putting something on the list is an invitation to a trade offer.

Here's where I disagree: an unsolicited trade request is basically like a "cold call" in sales. You have to expect, as a person making such a call, that the majority of them will be ignored (which is the easiest type of rejection). Most people don't deal with confrontation well, including honestly rejecting trade offers they aren't interested in.

I found it annoying and extremely frustrating to try to engineer trades that should have been easy. But the thing that frustated me even more was the fact that even when I would find a trade, there was sometimes no correlation between the quality of my work on the trade and my trade feedback. I typically ship the next day, and with things packed extremely well, and I've had people just neglect to give any feedback at all.

But what's even more interesting is the fact that even good traders will withhold giving me feedback until I leave feedback for them. It just goes to show how little integrity there is among traders here. If I fulfill my end of the bargain, then leave me the positive feedback I deserve. Don't wait to see what kind of feedback I'm going to leave you before you decide how honest you want to be.

I don't have anything I want to trade right now, but if anyone who is frustrated with the sad status quo wants to create a geeklist of honest, responsive traders you can add me to it.

Oh, and thanks for the rant. It is very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I send a GM before a proposal, as there seems to be a better chance of getting a response. I've only been doing this trade thing recently though, and only two out of a dozen offers have been outright ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Streven wrote:
I send a GM before a proposal, as there seems to be a better chance of getting a response. I've only been doing this trade thing recently though, and only two out of a dozen offers have been outright ignored.

I have done over 60 trades and always send out a GM and they still get ignored. Seems to be a lot of lazy or inconsiderate people. It's really not that hard to say no thanks. I always make sure the trade is balanced or offer sweetners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.