United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Faction Auction PBF Game

I am interested in trying out an auction set-up that was suggested in a forum on how to balance faction strength. The goal is to attempt to see some of the “weaker” factions played more often and have a better chance at winning.

The first four other experienced players that express interest can help test the format.

It will be played using Juho’s Snellman site.

In this forum we will auction the choices of player position at set-up for a five-player game using VPs (adjusted to final scores).

I will first randomly (and manually) generate the starting VP tiles, Bonus tiles, and one faction choice per color.

We will then start an auction (with a random starting bidder) for choice of where in turn order, and therefore faction-choice order, we will pick.

The auction will be conducted in four rounds as follows:

(1) For each round, opening bid is at least 1 VP, each subsequent bid must be at least one VP greater than the previous bid. It is an “open auction” with no order to the biding such that any player that has not yet won a bid may increase the bidding.

(2) Players that pass in a round may no longer bid in that round, but may in later rounds.

(3) When all players have passed or 12 hours have elapsed since the last bid, the round has been won.

(4) The winning player will choose a position in starting turn order (i.e., a slot): 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th. If that is the earliest slot that is still available, that player must immediately choose a faction from one of the 7 available.

(5) There will then be up to 3 similar auctions with the next being opened by any remaining player. In the event that no player bids in a round, all remaining slots will be randomly awarded at 0 VP cost. After the four-round auction is over the remaining player gets the remaining slot for 0 VP.

I will then set up the game on the site.

For example, suppose the bidding in first auction round ends at 13 VPs and the player elects the first slot. They would immediately choose a faction. Anyone could then open the 2nd round, which might end at 7VPs and the second slot is chosen and a faction selected before the third round starts. In the 3rd round, the bid ends at 3VPs and the player chooses the last slot, deferring the choice of faction until after the fourth faction has been selected (but getting first choice of bonus tiles). In the 4th round, no players bid and the final slots (3rd and 4th) are randomly assigned and factions chosen in that order. The winner of the 3rd round that picked the last slot would then choose a faction from the remaining three available.

Have I forgotten anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to take part.
I suggest not to have a choice of a faction in every color but only a choice of as many factions as there are players. If there are 7 factions to choose from, the least favorite ones will not get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought of that too Matthias. Good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in trying this if you're still looking for players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant,

Yes, still interested. Would need 1 more player at least, preferably 2.

-Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still looking for players? I have never played this before, but I have studied the rules extensively and am a *very* experienced board gamer in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

I am, but think you should play the game once first.

I could start a regular game, we could play through, and do the auction the second game.

Matthias and Grant, would you be interested?

-Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braithwaite
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, I'd be down for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Hi Chris,

I am, but think you should play the game once first.

I could start a regular game, we could play through, and do the auction the second game.

Matthias and Grant, would you be interested?

-Neil

Yeah sure, I'm game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys will need to send me a Geekmail with your email addresses and I will start a random game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the game is up now and it's asking me to pick a faction, but I'm assuming I should hold off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant,

I set this one up normal.

We will play through and then do auction the next time. We wanted to give Chris a bit of experience first.

-Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.