Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Fast Paced Grid Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'm trying implement a fast paced grid movement mechanic on a 18 x 24 grid where 2 team start on opposite sides and try to make it to the opposite sides by running at each other. Basically football without the ball. Right now, I'm just looking for ideas on how to balance the movement with different unit types. Slow unit /Normal unit /Fast unit.

Currently I have players rolling 1d6 dice 3x/2x/1x times. I tried AP but it turned into tile counting and there wasn't much randomness to it. I am just looking for more ideas how to do fast paced grid movement with random lengths where i'd like the player turns to be quick.

Other ideas:
Cards with movement numbers on them and randomly draw them or draft them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Tockey
msg tools
If you rolled d6 then you could give a bonus for faster units. Slow are d6, medium are d6+1 fast are d6+2 or something like that. In my opinion stay away from cards for this, too much hassle.
Good luck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If you wanted to stick with just d6s, you could roll n dice, where n is a whole bunch; in a very simple example, where you have just 1 slow, 1 normal and 1 fast dude, you'd roll 6 dice.
Then you spend dice to move dudes the shown number of spaces. A slow dude can only use 1 die a turn, a normal guy 2 and a fast runner 3. For ease of tracking, you have to do all of a single player's movement in one go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll-to-move is a "DO NOT USE" mechanic. I mean that as a guideline, of course. A pretty solid guideline. Rolling to move is NEVER fun; at best it can be functional, but at worst it can be tedious, limiting, and suck the life out of the good things you have in your other mechanics.

Consider incorporating a risk-reward mechanic, instead. Give everybody a base speed, and for this, we'll say 5. Arbitrary; it could be anything that fits your game. Then when they want to go faster than five, roll a die for each space after the fifth they wish to move. Slow players need to roll a 4, 5 or 6 (or whatever) on each die to move that extra space. Fast need to roll a 2+ (or whatever). The catch is that you must take the number of dice you wish to move before you actually roll any of them. So if you want to move 8 spaces and you're Fast, you say, "I'm moving 8 spaces" and then you take 3 dice and roll them. If any end up a 1, you penalize that piece. An injury, maybe. They trip. Somebody laughs at them. Something.

This is just an example, though. In the above, you give players options, and you give them something they can rely on if they're not feeling particularly fortunate. If they need to make a big play, though, they can push their luck and hope their players' dice pull through. I don't know if my mechanic is fun, I've not tested it. With all the rolling, I worry it could be pretty tedious and annoying, but at least I'm not needing to roll each and every time I move. The point is to give players choices instead of removing them. Randomly assigned movement numbers is not a good thing in a game about sports and movement; it will end with players frustrated at the numbers rather than their opponents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Roll-to-move is a "DO NOT USE" mechanic. I mean that as a guideline, of course. A pretty solid guideline. Rolling to move is NEVER fun; at best it can be functional, but at worst it can be tedious, limiting, and suck the life out of the good things you have in your other mechanics.
Roll to move is only really painful when your choices are highly limited. Worst is of course something like Chutes and Ladders, where you only have one way to go and the die roll is your only interaction with the whole "game" (you might have guessed, I don't think highly of Snakes and Ladders). Next are games like Talisman or Trivial Pursuit: Genus Edition, where most of the time your movement choice is binary.
One thing that is absolutely horrible is when you have to move exactly the number of spaces indicated. Unless you have some specific drawback in play from a given factor, you should be able to stop early.

Quote:
Consider incorporating a risk-reward mechanic, instead. Give everybody a base speed, and for this, we'll say 5. Arbitrary; it could be anything that fits your game. Then when they want to go faster than five, roll a die for each space after the fifth they wish to move. Slow players need to roll a 4, 5 or 6 (or whatever) on each die to move that extra space. Fast need to roll a 2+ (or whatever). The catch is that you must take the number of dice you wish to move before you actually roll any of them. So if you want to move 8 spaces and you're Fast, you say, "I'm moving 8 spaces" and then you take 3 dice and roll them. If any end up a 1, you penalize that piece. An injury, maybe. They trip. Somebody laughs at them. Something.
The idea of a push your luck has merit.

Quote:
This is just an example, though. In the above, you give players options, and you give them something they can rely on if they're not feeling particularly fortunate. If they need to make a big play, though, they can push their luck and hope their players' dice pull through. I don't know if my mechanic is fun, I've not tested it. With all the rolling, I worry it could be pretty tedious and annoying, but at least I'm not needing to roll each and every time I move. The point is to give players choices instead of removing them. Randomly assigned movement numbers is not a good thing in a game about sports and movement; it will end with players frustrated at the numbers rather than their opponents.
This is something that will, I feel, be ameliorated by rolling a bunch of dice and choosing results. You might get a turn where you roll nothing above a 2, but it'll be rare (rarer the more dice you're rolling) and figuring out how to make use of the results you get will be the strategy.

Out of curiosity, are you planning for there to be any factors apart from speed involved? Will slow guys have anything going for them, or are they just a hindrance you have to deal with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An 18 x 24 grid can be split into 4 quadrants of 9 x 12. Roll 3 D6's and choose a location to move to in any of the quadrants -- using any combination of the 3 dice, to get to where you want to go. Each quadrant would be numbered 1 to 9, and 1 to 12. There would be many ways to read the 3 dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's Red Rover.

Make the board a little smaller, give every piece chess-based movement (look for fairy chess pieces for interesting ideas).

I'd throw in some way to add blockades on the board, especially if you have a lot of space. I think maybe a "move a piece, then place a pawn anywhere on your half" would be an interesting concept, and force the first player to do just one of those on their first turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Out of curiosity, are you planning for there to be any factors apart from speed involved? Will slow guys have anything going for them, or are they just a hindrance you have to deal with.
After the movement mechanic is all figured out, I was going to add attack / defense stats. Then possibly a hand of cards to add to the strategy. I figure the slow will be strong, normal are balanced and fast are weak.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls