Geelong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules state that you can place a plane anywhere on the board as long as
- you can afford it
- it is traceable back to the 'home' airport of that colour
- it isn't on a route already serviced by a plane of that colour

It then says that you can place a second plane according to those same restrictions.

Does this mean that on a single turn I could potentially fill up a single route with two planes of different colour? It seems like this would change the blocking potential in the game considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Z
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the answer is YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tristano87 wrote:
The rules state that you can place a plane anywhere on the board as long as
- you can afford it
- it is traceable back to the 'home' airport of that colour
- it isn't on a route already serviced by a plane of that colour

It then says that you can place a second plane according to those same restrictions.

Does this mean that on a single turn I could potentially fill up a single route with two planes of different colour? It seems like this would change the blocking potential in the game considerably.

I also don't see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I learned something new today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tristano87 wrote:
It seems like this would change the blocking potential in the game considerably.
Considerably? Seems to me that it would be a pretty narrow condition that both colors were already set "traceable back to the 'home' airport of that colour".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Davidson
Australia
Geelong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess by considerable change i meant a change from 'practically no blocking potential' to 'some blocking potential'. I agree it's a pretty open board, but there are some areas that are more concentrated than others, especially when playing with 5 (I'm looking at you, Frankfurt).

Having the option to clog up a route with two different planes also makes it much easier to thwart players trying to connect the green/grey/orange/white bonus routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules book.

1. The new route must connect directly to the home airport of that airline or connect via other routes already licensed by that airline to its home airport. An airline’s network can consist of multiple branched routes, as long as they can all be traced back to the airline’s home airport.
2. The player must always buy the cheapest license on the route he selects.
3. Each airline may own only one license on each route.
4. When all available licenses have been purchased on a route, a player may not purchase a license for this route for an airline.
5. When the supply of airplanes for an airline is exhausted, a player may no longer purchase a route license for this airline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Davidson
Australia
Geelong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think by airline they mean 'color' of plane, since the players don't represent airlines themselves. My question was about buying planes of two different colors (read: airlines) to fill up a route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely fill up a route by using planes of different colors on the same turn. The downsides I see are that you only get to pick up one card from the available cards whether you pay for one or two planes, so you are not getting a great return vs filling up over two turns and there is usually another way around. It also takes quite a bit of cash to do this. Usually in our games people are only putting down two planes in one turn towards the end of the game to boost into the next point levels.

All that being said, you are allowed to do it with different colored planes and may be times when it is advantageous to do so - like to keep someone from getting the bonus for completing routes for a few of the airlines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
You can definitely fill up a route by using planes of different colors on the same turn. The downsides I see are that you only get to pick up one card from the available cards whether you pay for one or two planes, so you are not getting a great return vs filling up over two turns and there is usually another way around. It also takes quite a bit of cash to do this. Usually in our games people are only putting down two planes in one turn towards the end of the game to boost into the next point levels.

All that being said, you are allowed to do it with different colored planes and may be times when it is advantageous to do so - like to keep someone from getting the bonus for completing routes for a few of the airlines.

I did this in the last game, and the 2 players focusing on white were not able to get the bonus, as I blocked them off and they had only 1 plane left..hehehehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I did this in the last game, and the 2 players focusing on white were not able to get the bonus, as I blocked them off and they had only 1 plane left..hehehehe

I am sure they were thrilled - not. We are usually not so cut-throat (at least on the map part) just normally trying to maximize our own outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.