Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Games Fan
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Dreamlands monsters bring anything different to the table than the monsters from the Azathoth faction?

I realize that they have different abilities but are they both simply neutral monsters that any faction can summon or is there some new game mechanic or something that makes these unique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanic will be the same - they are neutral monsters each with their own power that anyone can summon. The other alternative is that they go with a particular faction, but as they do not have a GOO, they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games Fan
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification. I want it all, but unfortunately my wallet would scream so this helps me make an informed choice on what to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who want it all, but can only get some of the expansions, my best recommendation is to get the faction bundle. Having the most variety of factions available will be your best bet - Have all 7 that can be played.

Here is my personal preference in the order of what to get, if I had to buy them piecemeal over time. And this is as one who has probably played it more than anyone else on the planet except for maybe 3 or 4 people:

Base game (obviously!)
3 playable expansions (Opener/Windwalker/Sleeper)
neutral GOOs (the 9 stretch goal ones)
Azathoth expansion
maps
Dreamslands monsters (over/under)
high priests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanic is not quite the same. The Dreamlands monsters come with a Homeland token which indicates a geographic area you have to hold in order to summon and control them. With the Azathoth monsters you just have to be first to summon one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zebra Matt
United Kingdom
Brighton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who intends to play the 2 player game, if possible, my preferred route focusses on introducing new mechanics to the core map, and is as follows:

Base Game
High Priests
Dreamlands Monsters
Neutral GOOs
Playable Extra Factions
Azathoth
Maps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Gebhart
United States
Westlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
existoid wrote:

Here is my personal preference in the order of what to get, if I had to buy them piecemeal over time. And this is as one who has probably played it more than anyone else on the planet except for maybe 3 or 4 people:

Base game (obviously!)
3 playable expansions (Opener/Windwalker/Sleeper)
neutral GOOs (the 9 stretch goal ones)
Azathoth expansion
maps
Dreamslands monsters (over/under)
high priests

So when I saw this it caused me to stop and consider.

Base game first (given)
Expansion Factions(including all four hear for the KS Bundle)
Neutral Goos(Large minis cool)
Maps(Shakes up game play adds replay ability)

Here is what I don't understand. Why advocate the Dreamlands Monsters over the high priests. If you have the Neutral GOOs and Azathoth you have plenty of neutral monsters. The Priests appear to add a new feature to the factions. Could you please explain your perspective.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls