Blake TheWhite
msg tools
Hello fellow BGG'ers! My wife and I are looking forward to playing our first Combat Commander scenario (going with D: Cherry Blossom). I think I have a fairly decent grasp of the rules after reading both manuals, but I think I'm a little lost on the support table. Thanks in advance for your help!

** How is the Support Table used? Is it only in conjunction with a Reinforcement event?

** The support table lists the die rolls across the top. Easy enough. But what do the numbers in the actual grid represent? Is it the VP "cost" I pay to my enemy's score for reinforcing a particular unit? For example, if I roll a three and call in a scout, I should give my opponent one VP?

** On the tracker board, the Allies are set to Invade, 6 orders, Elite. According to the rulebook, Invader 17.4 a) hand size of 7 b) "usually sets up at least half of his assigned forces as reinforcements on the Time Track rather than on-map."

What does it mean to place units on the Time Track? How does this allow them to be accessed? I referred to 13. Game Time, but there's no mention of this time track reinforcement feature there. Can anyone please explain how time track reinforcement mechanic works in the game or where I might find it mentioned in the rule/play books? Reading through various forum, AAR reports, it seems to be an important feature!

Thanks again, excited to play a game I've read so much about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
thebiz wrote:
** How is the Support Table used? Is it only in conjunction with a Reinforcement event?
Yes (and with Random Scenario Generation)

Quote:
** The support table lists the die rolls across the top. Easy enough. But what do the numbers in the actual grid represent? Is it the VP "cost" I pay to my enemy's score for reinforcing a particular unit? For example, if I roll a three and call in a scout, I should give my opponent one VP?
Read the E70. Reinforcements event. Paragraph b) states ...select one unit or Sighting Marker - at no cost - that is available for that scenario's year. So the rules already tell you not to pay anything when the event happens. (FWIW - the cost is used during Random Scenario generation)

Quote:
** On the tracker board, the Allies are set to Invade, 6 orders, Elite. According to the rulebook, Invader 17.4 a) hand size of 7 b) "usually sets up at least half of his assigned forces as reinforcements on the Time Track rather than on-map."

What does it mean to place units on the Time Track? How does this allow them to be accessed? I referred to 13. Game Time, but there's no mention of this time track reinforcement feature there.
Perhaps you stopped reading too soon? Look at 13.1.2 (d): if there are one or more pieces or Sighting markers in the space now occupied by the time marker, [b]the owning player brings them into play as reinforcements by placing them in any hexes along the friendly hex edge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake TheWhite
msg tools
Ah ha! Excellent, thank you Richard!

** One more, now that I skimmed back through. On OB Display and unit quality. "'Quality' tells the player which of his Teams will replace any of his Squads that break down."

I assume "break down" is not referring to unit that is broken, because broken units are simply flipped over, and if hit again, removed from the game. I vaguely remember reading something about situations in which a squad is reduced to two teams. Are those instances what this is referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
thebiz wrote:
I vaguely remember reading something about situations in which a squad is reduced to two teams. Are those instances what this is referring to?
Yes it is, and if you want to read about it in more detail, take a gander at:

A44. Light Wounds
E56. Deploy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake TheWhite
msg tools
Great, thank you so much! And with that, the battle begins
 Thumb up
 tip