Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am happy to say I'm getting my tax refund next week (finally) and I'm looking at some shopping.

While there are a lot of odds and ends that I've been looking at and will be buying some stuff including Small World and possibly other D&D Adventure games. Now wishing I could get Runebound I will wait for a reprint, I've also been looking at Tanhauser. I've heard stuff about it being out of print and oddly Amazon still has a few copies of this for about 30 off.

Is this game a current edition, out of print (going to be revised) or already a revised edition? Is it worthwhile or should I be walking away from it? I like a lot of the mechanics in the game but its something I'm on the fence about. How fiddly is the combat? After reading the rules the distance and combat rules seem a little odd with the minimum distance thing. Is the game balanced or easily one sided?

I'm looking at keeping this at the base game and not tacking on every single other mini, I'm a mini gamer at heart, but not a collector anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Tannhäuser and I did not like it that much.

It has a lot of neat ideas, but essentially, it just doesn't work that well.

I would rather get Earth Reborn instead.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nice suggestion... Gears of War: The Board Game

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanee wrote:

I would rather get Earth Reborn instead.

Bye
Thanee

Good to know that Gears is a viable substitute for it. I've had it for a few months and that is a fun game, fairly solid mechanics and theme it is fun (plus it scales the best out of most games I've seen outside a few AI cards that are a little abusive). I read the rules for Tanhauser a few times and it seemed like there was something missing from the combat rules the mechanics seemed neat, especially the pathfinder system, but it seemed a little off and not as solid as it should have been. I've read other things on here that echoed that suspicion and wanted to really check on here before I go shelling out 52 for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

What he said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely disagree. Tannhauser is a great and fast paced combat fest. Its brutal, fast, and quite fun. I can get two games in in the time it takes to set up the earth reborn map, not to mention the slow game play. For our group, it blows ER away.

Id say Gears is quite good, but its a co-op and not as good of a comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathius Nightingale
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Randall. Tannhauser is just awesome. It's one of my favorite games, then again I love Nazi Occultism, so I'm biased in that regard. Still, though, it's oozing with theme.

The one thing I'd really like to point out about this game is that most people who play it and don't like it don't seem to understand the game well enough. I don't mean that in a condescending way, but rather they aren't aware of all the amazing ways to full take advantage of the true sight system combined with player movement/abilities.

Of all the play sessions I've watched and participated in (and by the way, I own every expansion map and figure), most players play the game in a very straightforward manner, either not realizing what to do, or unwilling to take risks that make the game truly shine as wholly unique.

That the game is getting clearanced off is a perfect time to buy in before it's gone for good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbsisktb wrote:
I read the rules for Tanhauser a few times and it seemed like there was something missing from the combat rules the mechanics seemed neat, especially the pathfinder system, but it seemed a little off and not as solid as it should have been. I've read other things on here that echoed that suspicion and wanted to really check on here before I go shelling out 52 for it.

The original rules were a mess. They have been revised so make sure you are reading the as current as possible rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's completely possible that those people saying they didn't like Tannhauser are talking about the original rule set which was poor.

FFG released a new edition rulebook when they took over the rights (as opposed to just translating the game into English). It's far superior to the original and makes the game playable.

FFG makes you pay for these new rules if you're an existing owner of an older version (even a PDF copy) while including them in the latest box so bear that in mind if you are getting an older copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've actually decided against the game at least for now. Partly due to the fact I feel it won't go over well with my family. I picked up Dust Tactics Revised core and Tile Set a month or so ago and want to teach that to my step-daughter, while I think the mechanics will be too much of a chore for Tanhauser. Also despite re-reading the rules and watching a number of videos I still have reservations about the combat system, it seems a little shaky to me still. I'd rather wait until I can guarantee good plays, plus I do have Gears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Incursion, it's everything I wanted Tannhauser to be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason (sans nation)
Germany
Holzhausen
March
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Another nice suggestion... Gears of War: The Board Game

Bye
Thanee

Great recommendation. I was a bit sceptical at first, but Gears is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI - Some good deals on Tannhauser at Miniature Market:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=tannh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.