Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys, I'm former Arkham Horror fan(former merely due to the bulk of the base game and its expansions reaching over critical mass), and would like to get this game as a substitute filler for 2-player games.
Because, seriously, I just don't have the time for Arkham Horror anymore, with its long setup.

I've pored over the rules in Elder Sign just to see what it's like, and from what I've gathered around this forum, the base game is too easy. I'm planning to get the expansion as well sooner or later, but in the meantime:

Would any of these(or all together) increase the difficulty?

1)reduce the number of faceup Adventure cards, from 6 to 4.

2) Each investigator may only buy 1 Elder Sign per game.

3) Each time the clock strikes midnight, a doom token is added to the doom track(that's in addition to any effects from the newly drawn Mythos card)

4)Once an investigator is devoured, you get no replacement.

5)As an alternative to the 4-Adventures variant, make movement across the original 6 cards setup more rigid: say, assemble them like the tiles in Ghost Stories in that you can only go to adjacent Adventure cards on your turn.

Your comments are welcome.:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
Microbadge: ellipsisMicrobadge: Birdwatcher
As it stands, the base game is pretty easy (we haven't lost a game yet using the standard rules). The only times that we do lose is with a house rule: when your investigator dies you don't get a new one. I don't have the expansion yet (I'm waiting on it)but from what I gather it helps ramp up the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazedyeti wrote:
As it stands, the base game is pretty easy (we haven't lost a game yet using the standard rules). The only times that we do lose is with a house rule: when your investigator dies you don't get a new one. I don't have the expansion yet (I'm waiting on it)but from what I gather it helps ramp up the difficulty.
That was to be my next suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
~~~I hesitate to use the "no new Investigator" house rule simply for the fact that it kinda sucks if one person in a 4+ player game gets bumped off early on & has to sit for an hour before another game can start.

While we have been able to run thru the Old Ones pretty handily, one house rule we use is that you can't purchase Elder Signs AT ALL...seems kinda silly to me that the all powerful eldritch weapon I need is just laying on the shelf at the local gift shop. So that makes things a little trickier.

Hopefully the expansion will add some extra difficulty to the game, but we enjoy it as it is anyway. So let's all just keep fighting the good fight & protecting our world from the Elder Gods!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the rule about monsters entering play automatically as soon as an accommodating adventure card is drawn.

This makes the game closer to Ghost Stories where you have to prioritize threats to mitigate whatever negative effects the monster brings to the table.

Looks like the no Elder Signs rule was added with the new entrance cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do suggestion 4. Player elimination is no fun, and is only okay during end-of-game (final combat).

You could disallow purchasing Elder Signs altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One suggestion I've read is to play only with 5 green dice in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
One suggestion I've read is to play only with 5 green dice in total.
That would be Crushingly difficult - one of the hardest mods I could think of.

Not only is it too hard...but it spoils the theme and ruins a lot of play as this game is fairly dependant on the set die mechanics.

I would not recommend this mod at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two easy fixes I've found are:

1) Don't use any 1 trophy Adventure Cards

2) Modify the Mythos deck as nicely suggested here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/884498/adjusting-the-dif...

MAIN DECK:
A Heavy Burden / Amid the Stillness
Horrible Monsters / Reveal a Secret
Person Possessions / Bring Good Fortune
Strange Sights / In the Lurking Shadows
Strange Sights / Before the Storm
Strange Sights / Of a Poisonous Trap
Sudden Terror / Amid the Stillness
The Arcane Art / Closes the Doors
The Right Tools / Create a Rift
The Stars Align / Above Dark Clouds
The Stars Align / Above an Open Door
The Stars Align / Amid the Stillness (x4)
The Stars Align / Before Reason Fails
The Stars Align / to Bring Forth Horrors
Too High a Price / To Bring Forth Horrors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question: is there any penalty for failing to defeat a monster in the game? I didn't see this mentioned in the rules.

Hmm,maybe the risk/reward mechanic is not balanced in the game as it seems you risk to lose less than what you gain if you win.

We're going to play our first few games with the rules as is,just adopting the devoured=eliminated player houserule(it's a 2-player game so no biggie) and then perhaps play around with the clock hand , increasing the increments by which it moves towards midnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
One question: is there any penalty for failing to defeat a monster in the game? I didn't see this mentioned in the rules.
There is no specific penalty for failing to defeat a monster, but all monsters are tasks on adventure cards, so if you don't defeat the monster, you fail the adventure and will suffer the penalties for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
magmaxtic wrote:
Would any of these(or all together) increase the difficulty?

1)reduce the number of faceup Adventure cards, from 6 to 4.

2) Each investigator may only buy 1 Elder Sign per game.

3) Each time the clock strikes midnight, a doom token is added to the doom track(that's in addition to any effects from the newly drawn Mythos card)

4)Once an investigator is devoured, you get no replacement.

5)As an alternative to the 4-Adventures variant, make movement across the original 6 cards setup more rigid: say, assemble them like the tiles in Ghost Stories in that you can only go to adjacent Adventure cards on your turn.
1) That would remove a lot of the fun. But yes it would be a LOT harder
2) In my experience, in the average game, each investigator will earn approx 10 trophies anyway, so usually can only buy 1 ES. Also the average victorious game involves buying only 1 or 2 Elder Signs anyway. But see notes below.
3) This would be too hard imo. Although the game is generally thought of as too easy, it is not the GOO fight that is easy, but winning by preventing the GOO wakening. GOO fights are almost always a loss for the players. Massively increasing the chances of the GOO fight would certainly be more difficult, but less fun.
4) Would have little effect. Investigators are very rarely devoured before the GOO wakens.
5) Sounds good to me.

When we want a harder game, we do the following 3 things:

a) Players are dealt their Investigator at random and must play what they get. Although this is the official rule anyway, I think a lot of groups break it. Some investigators are MUCH stronger than others.

b) Elder Signs cannot be purchased at all.

c) The clock is advanced 1 hour per turn instead of 3 hours, and 3, 6, 9 and 12 all count as midnight.

Personally I think a lot of groups finding this game too easy are playing it wrong. Now that I know all the correct rules, our win ratio is about 70%, which is fine by me. Previous to that, when we only had a few tiny things wrong with the rules, we were winning 100%. It's little things like dice/reroll timing and focusing, but they made massive differences to the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fourth rule is simply to deter an investigator from failing an adventure on purpose, so he can start over with someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hatfield
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never found this game to be too easy (partially because we generally have poor dice rolls), but do find it to be more challenging if the investigators are assigned at random. Also, buying Elder Signs is usually frowned upon by our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of disallowing character-restart, I was wondering if the penalty of +1 doom is too forgiving. Maybe upping this will be a nice way of increasing difficulty? I can't find that this has been suggested before, but my summer-addled brain might be fooling me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
One simple rule that works well is that when a player spends a clue he may only re-roll one of his dice instead of any/all of them. Good luck. Also the new expansion adds harder mythos cards so you might want to consider purchasing it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex,

It's interesting, as I took a long time before I got my first win against the system with Elder Sign. blush

But the variant I play which makes it more interesting was suggested on another thread on the 'geek (which I can't find again so apologies to its creator), and was to keep the adventure cards face-down until an intrepid investigator actually goes there and explores. So thematic, and so much more challenging; I always use it now!

Something else to play with is to have the clock move 4 hours at the end of each turn....

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these, makes it much more difficult and fun. This was compiled from other people, but I added some as well:

Advance the clock
Easy - 3 hours
Moderate - 4 hours
Hard - 6 hours

If a monster can not fit onto an adventure card (say for instance there are not any adventure cards that allow a monster), add one to a random adventure card, roll a d6. An adventure can have at most 4 tasks, both a combo of stated tasks and monster tasks.

Drawing an Other World card also causes a monster to appear.

Players keep elder signs in front of them. If you die, surrender half your elder signs (round up) in addition to adding a doom token.

Mythos cards that state one player affect all (for example, a mythos card that adds a doome token unless one player has a spell card now read that add a doom token unless all players have a spell card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI monsters I at the bottom on an adventure card if there isn't a spot on the card per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls