Popular Tags: [View All]
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a multipart question with completely unrelated overall topics, so please bear with me. Thanks in advance!

Played the CCG and have probably three or four thousand cards pre-2008. Really enjoyed the game but was never devoted to it enough to be truly competitive. My FLGS shut down so I was without easily-accessible opponents and my involvement with the game lapsed. Watched with casual interest as the game transitioned to the LCG but have never played it in its current iteration. Of late, I've been enjoying CCG-like card games such as Summoner Wars, and have begun mentally revisiting Game of Thrones and am looking into giving the LCG a new shot.

So. My questions.

1. How many, if any, of my old CCG cards are still usable? I have no intention of ever playing in tournaments or official events, so 'legality' isn't an issue. Basically, am I looking at needing to sell off the entire CCG collection?

2. My son and some members of my current gaming group are all interested in learning the game before deciding to fully dive in and start investing money in the LCG. Again, discounting legality of the cards, and pretty much any compatibility with the new game, can I use my old CCG cards to at least teach the game to the newbies? Are the rules of the game similar enough that they can get a good feel for the game? Or have the rules and gameplay changed so much that using the old cards would do more harm than good? Since no one we know plays the current game, we aren't willing to pay for the new Core set without knowing if our group in general is going to like it. (Doesn't matter how inexpensively this game can be purchased, truth is, we have about two dozen games on our "we really want this game" list, so not being able to do some test runs ahead of time will likely keep this game in the middle of the queue.)

3. Stand-alone gameplay. As stated, we really love the Summoner Wars experience with pre-packaged basically fixed decks (the minimal tweaking offered by the reinforcements is not extensive enough to consider it a true expandable card game.) How possible is it to create some relatively balanced, stand-alone decks that can be put together and then left alone? I want to put a deck together, put it in a cool tuck box, and then leave it in the Game of Thrones box for anyone to be able to come along later and pull a deck out and start playing.

I realize this will likely take multiple copies of the core set and expansions, but for the sake of this question, let's assume this isn't an issue.

I envision when this is done that I've been able to pre-construct at least one solid deck for each house. I'm sure there are multiple varieties of each house deck, and I'd plan on building up the pool of ready-to-go decks. How feasible is this and are there any sites that discuss anything like this?

At the end of the day, I have no interest in becoming a monster player in this game. I have no interest in tuning my deck. I have no interest in tournament play. I just want a game that my game group can pull out on occasion and play an evening of Game of Thrones using interesting decks that cover the full range of houses and characters and situations. I also want to be able to continue to purchase chapter packs and when possible, create new decks to add to the pile. Or possibly periodically overhaul all the decks with new cards from the past year's worth of chapter packs.

All that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VicDigital wrote:

1. How many, if any, of my old CCG cards are still usable?

2. can I use my old CCG cards to at least teach the game to the newbies? Are the rules of the game similar enough that they can get a good feel for the game? Or have the rules and gameplay changed so much that using the old cards would do more harm than good?

3. How possible is it to create some relatively balanced, stand-alone decks that can be put together and then left alone?

How feasible is this and are there any sites that discuss anything like this?

All that make sense?

Perfect Sense, and it is all do-able!

1. Virtually all old CCG cards are still usable, although very few of them are legal for tournament play.

2. The rules and mechanics are very similar. They haven't changed so much as to make them difficult to use. Do note that many old CCG cards are more powerful than LCG cards.

3. Very possible. I do the same thing, as most of the people I play with are not into deck-building. There are inserts in each of the Deluxe Expansions that detail one or two deck builds using the Core Set and that Expansion. Sites include AGOTCards.org and CardGameDB.com, as well as FFG's Forums.

Welcome Back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Murdock
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the FFG support page (http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&...):

Quote:
Demo Decks

Give A Game of Thrones LCG™ a try with these downloadable demo decks. All you have to do is download the PDF files, print out the cards, cut them out, and put them into card sleeves, and you are ready to get a quick sample of a two-player Joust for A Game of Thrones. These decks contain all the cards you will need to explore all of the relevant game mechanics and whet your appetite for the A Game of Thrones LCG™ Core Set.

Download the decks:

Stark House deck (PDF, 2.1 MB) http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/support/de...
Stark Plot deck (PDF, 384 KB) http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/support/de...

Lannister House deck (2.2 MB) http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/support/de...
Lannister Plot deck (PDF, 332 KB) http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/support/de...

Note: You will need some tokens to represent Power and Gold to play.

A helpful tip when printing out the cards: If you are using Adobe Reader to view these files, when printing, under "Page Scaling" select "Multiple pages per sheet". If you are printing on 8.5"x11" paper, 9 pages per sheet will scale the cards to the correct size and save paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
[q="VicDigital"]
Perfect Sense, and it is all do-able!

1. Virtually all old CCG cards are still usable, although very few of them are legal for tournament play.

2. The rules and mechanics are very similar. They haven't changed so much as to make them difficult to use. Do note that many old CCG cards are more powerful than LCG cards.

3. Very possible. I do the same thing, as most of the people I play with are not into deck-building. There are inserts in each of the Deluxe Expansions that detail one or two deck builds using the Core Set and that Expansion. Sites include AGOTCards.org and CardGameDB.com, as well as FFG's Forums.

Welcome Back!

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

One thing that's making me angry at myself right now was that at a recent local game mini-con, a guy was selling his entire GOT LCG collection for $50. Core edition plus what looked like three or four binders of expansion cards. Didn't jump on it because at the time none of my other game group expressed any interest in ever playing. But now, it (and all of FFG's LCGs) are starting to gain some traction around here (Houston), so it's becoming a viable game option.

Doh! Kicking myself now...

Oh well... Maybe I can track him down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob R
msg tools
Vic,

Afraid I dont know anything about the CCG, but check out the Houston players thread in this forum! I am trying to put together some game of thrones get togethers. So far we have 7-8 people interested. I am thinking about a get together next weekend.

Rettere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rettere wrote:
Vic,

Afraid I dont know anything about the CCG, but check out the Houston players thread in this forum! I am trying to put together some game of thrones get togethers. So far we have 7-8 people interested. I am thinking about a get together next weekend.

Rettere

Thanks for the invite. I'm unavailable the next couple of weekends, but I'll consider it down the line. That said, I really don't know that I'd be the right person to attend a Thrones-specific gaming session. I enjoy the game, but like I said, I have no intention of studying the game and building killer decks or finding the perfect combos. Against a player that actually cares about winning and becoming great at this game, I'd be a terrible opponent. Don't get me wrong, I play to win, but winning isn't a factor in my playing any game. I usually have more fun losing than I do winning, especially if it's a deliciously painful loss. My style of gaming could probably be described as "intensely casual."

So with that in mind, re-evaluate whether or not I'd be a good fit.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are 4 fairly balanced decks built from 2x Core sets
4 Core Decks @ CardGameDB

There are also decks for Greyjoy and Martell in there built from their expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Here are 4 fairly balanced decks built from 2x Core sets
4 Core Decks @ CardGameDB

There are also decks for Greyjoy and Martell in there built from their expansions.

Perfect. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.