Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: CRUISE_CONTROL_FOR_COOL [+] [View All]
jtop
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*THIS FAQ IS FOR THE KUBLACON FIRST EDITION OF CAMP GRIZZLY.

ERRATA

BLACKOUT - The Blackout refers to the "Maintenance Shed" space. Instead it should say "Tool Shed".

TRACY - In a small number of games, Tracy's counselor ability has a misprint. It should tell the player to roll a D4 NOT a D3. Corrected Tracy cards are available. Just ask me for a replacement.

FAQ

COUNSELOR MOVEMENT
Q: Can a Counselor's movement be reduced to "0" or below?
A: No. A Counselor's minimum movement should always be 1.

Q: Can I move through Otis' space?
A: No. You must stop moving and fight Otis.

OBJECTIVES
Q: How does the First Aid station work?
A: Place the First Aid station face up on the space where it is drawn. Any time a Counselor regroups in that space, they may heal up to 2 injuries.

Q: What happens if all the '?' cards on the board have been revealed and there is still no way to start a finale?
A: When the last '?' is revealed and there is now possible combination, deal new '?' cards on all the starting '?' spaces.

PANIC
Q: Does "Athletic" or the "Running Shoes" allow a Counselor to move one more space when PANICKING?
A: No. Only "Jumpy" gives a Counselor +1 to their PANIC.

Q: Can I pick up items, weapons, or objectives and open locks when PANICKING?
A: No. A Counselor who PANICS may only move away from a fight they lost.

Q: Do wounds affect PANIC?
A: No.

TIES
Q: What takes precedence; 8 Track Player, Killer's Obsession or Acoustic Guitar?
A: When there's a tie, pick randomly by rolling a die.

I'm happy to answer all questions relating to the game and will update this FAQ as new questions arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: Will you be updating the rules to include the FAQ?

Q2: If a counselor panics, after a failed fight with the killer, do they only get to move on the paths, or can they spend their panic-move attempting to move along a trail? If they can move along a trail, what happens if they only roll 2-5 each time - do they have to fight Otis again?

Q3: What is the theme justification for not moving along a trail on a 2-5 die roll? Are they too scared to tempt the path? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jtop
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark,

A1: Yes. We'll be incorporating the FAQ into the rules. For the next print run (through our Kickstarter) we've also corrected any issues that were specific to card text.

A2: Unless the Nature Trail is free for movement (as an Orienteer or due to a Full Moon) panicking counselors cannot attempt to traverse them.

A3: Originally, I felt like they went in circles, but I like your justification better. They are too gripped by fear to run down the dark wooded path. (It also compliments the HORRIFIED counselor situation. A horrified counselor would never succeed since they are -1 to all rolls)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Campbell
United States
Amesbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played first game and really enjoy it, but there were some confusing points (which seems to happen every time we first play a game.

1. One thing is with Ruthus. When he's placed he does a crosses path with the councillor who drew him. Now after that councelor's turn it is Ruthus' turn. So is there another crosses path with the same councelor

2. When you draw an objective is it from the extra pile of objective tokens? Also if you pick a surprise token (such as Otis strikes), do you have to resolve it? Or do you keep putting picking until you get an actual objective?

3. If playing with 2 councellors and one has Kimberly how does that affect foolin around. Does the player without Kimberly skips foolin around or do they just fool around with themselves .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off! Thanks Jason for a killer game! However, after a few plays I realized it is screaming for a FAQ sheet(s). We ran into some confusing situations with the rules and/or card text. The Barn finale with the bear was a doozy for example. Plus, some cards stating that stuff happens in a "Cabin"... Is it meant to be that specific? We played it that other "Locations" were not affected by those particular cards. Also, the card that requires all campers be removed from cabins and body count adjusted threw us too. Why does the body count need adjusting? They're not dead... The card art shows them leaving the camp. Anyhow, besides a few bugs, we love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackCrap66 wrote:
First off! Thanks Jason for a killer game! However, after a few plays I realized it is screaming for a FAQ sheet(s). We ran into some confusing situations with the rules and/or card text. The Barn finale with the bear was a doozy for example. Plus, some cards stating that stuff happens in a "Cabin"... Is it meant to be that specific? We played it that other "Locations" were not affected by those particular cards. Also, the card that requires all campers be removed from cabins and body count adjusted threw us too. Why does the body count need adjusting? They're not dead... The card art shows them leaving the camp. Anyhow, besides a few bugs, we love it!

In the bear finale we played it that Otis starts at whatever attack value he was at before the finale started. Each die roll loss reduces the attack die until the skull, equaling death. If Otis wins, we lose. If the bear wins, we win... with the exception of any councilor still in the camp near a trail.

Yes, if something happens in your cabin, only the space or spaces in your CABIN are affected. The other 15 cabin areas do not get affected, unless the cards state differently.

On the "Lights Out, Campers" card. They are indeed just walking out of camp... WITH OTIS! Hack, Slash, Stab... DEATH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't look close enough at the card art. No one else caught it. Got stuck on the text too much, lol. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time last night and loved it! We wove a pretty great story that ended with the virgin counselor being the sole survivor (coincidentally, the Virgin card is what saved her during the finale).

Anyway, I noticed some missing information in the rules. I think we were able to assume the intended behavior okay, but a little more clarity would be nice.

Q1: When rolling to become "un-lost" and returning to the board at a random Nature Trail, how much of the counselor's turn is left? Does their turn immediately end, or do they still draw a Cabin card? We assumed that becoming "un-lost" took up the counselor's movement, but the counselor still drew a Cabin card and completed their turn.

Q2: When encountering a Cameo does the counselor's movement immediately end, or can you continue to move past the Cameo? We played it so that when you entered the space with the Cameo we played the encounter, but then once it was resolved we continued our movement through the Cameo.

Q3: Regarding the Blackout card - if for any reason the Horrified status is cured, but the Blackout is still active (nobody has gone to the Tool Shed to disable it) does the Horrified status come back on that counselor's next turn? It seemed like it should, so we didn't waste any abilities curing Horrified during the Blackout, but nowhere in the rules or on the card did it clarify.

Q4: Same question as Craig since it hasn't been answered yet. When a Cameo appears in your space at the end of your turn, do you encounter it immediately? And then do you encounter it again on the Cameo's turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1. We play that getting out of the woods does not take your turn, and you get your full movement after successfully leaving the woods.

Q2. Per the rule book: Counselor's that cross paths with a Cameo must resolve the Cameo's special text BEFORE continuing their move.

Q3. as long as the blackout is in effect, only having a light source, or being "Desensitized" allow you to not be Horrified.

Q4. In my opinion, you draw the Cabin card AFTER your turn is done, so if you draw Ruthus, he Starts on your space. That would warrant a cross path encounter and would finish his turn. There would be no stalk for him because he is already on your space.
If you cross a Cameo and keep moving through after the Cross Path encounter, there is a chance they will stalk you and force another encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
Q1. We play that getting out of the woods does not take your turn, and you get your full movement after successfully leaving the woods.

Q2. Per the rule book: Counselor's that cross paths with a Cameo must resolve the Cameo's special text BEFORE continuing their move.

Q3. as long as the blackout is in effect, only having a light source, or being "Desensitized" allow you to not be Horrified.

Q4. In my opinion, you draw the Cabin card AFTER your turn is done, so if you draw Ruthus, he Starts on your space. That would warrant a cross path encounter and would finish his turn. There would be no stalk for him because he is already on your space.
If you cross a Cameo and keep moving through after the Cross Path encounter, there is a chance they will stalk you and force another encounter.

I concur with those answers especially #4. Ruthus is a little confusing but it makes sense that he only gets 1 effect when entering the game and not an immediate two-fer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Watkin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rather than start another thread about rules, I'm posting here to try to keep everything together.

WeaponGamma has very kindly put together a nice "Camp Grizzly Counselor Survival Guide" explaining/clarifying some rules.

In reference to;

Quote:
Q: How many movement actions does it take to pick up an objective?

A: It is 1 Movement to Reveal AND Pick Up as one action, but you may choose to just reveal and not pick up if you wish (still 1 Movement regardless). If you end your move on an Objective you may choose to reveal it instead of drawing a cabin card for free. It will cost 1 Movement on your next turn to pick up though.

My understanding was that you could use your movement to step into an objective space. End of movement phase.

Now, instead of drawing a cabin card, you can reveal the objective. End of cabin draw phase.

End turn phase, you may pick up any revealed objective. Like you one you revealed in the previous phase.

So you can still pick up an objective without spending any movement points.

Is that not right?

Further questions/comments;

1) I see there's confirmation on choosing randomly when you have things like the 8 Track Player and Killer's Obsession. I had both last night and wasn't sure which took priority. The rule I came up with was to use the one that came into play first. In my case, the 8 Track Player was drawn first, a turn before the Killer's Obsession card, so Otis headed to the 8 Track Player first, then Killer's Obsession came into effect.

2) There are a couple of cards that I came across that directed me to discard a random survival card, or a random weapon/item. Is that a random card/weapon/item of mine, or from anyone?

3) Clumsy has a couple of lines; First you take 1 injury. If you have a weapon, you take 2 injuries. Does this mean you take 1 injury, and then 2 further injuries? I treat it as "if you have at least 1 weapon", so you take 2 injuries whether you have 1 weapon or 2. But is that 2 additional injuries, or just 2 total?

4) Crossing Paths. My current ruling is that you have to move into a space in order to cross paths with whatever else is there. So for things like cameos, fire, Otis, etc. when they appear on your space, they trigger an initial "crossing paths" with the player who initiated the effect, but last night I had 4-5 counselors on the same space (thanks to Kevin pulling in a few people to help with a fight), when a fire card was pulled. So now we have 5 counselors on a space and a fire breaks out.

I thought it was cruel to have everyone roll for injuries straight away, so I gave everyone a chance to move away from it first, and let it take full effect on the next round.

Is there is a good way to handle crossing paths? I'm thinking that dealing with it during the movement phase makes most sense. But should the fire have taken effect right away and forced everyone to roll for injuries? And then what happens at the start of the next turn, because everyone is still on the square, so would they trigger it again before they move? I don't like the idea of having all similar effects triggered twice before players have a chance to do anything.

5) Light Source. I got a camper who had a light source (Tobe) and saw that it was in bold, indicating that it was part of some special rules. However, I haven't come across a light source before, so I'm not familiar with the effects of it. I think it's used for preventing Horrified during a blackout, and the card does say that the counselor can't be horrified, so it fits. But can a light source also be used for revealing objectives, or is that a separate item?

I had a few other questions, but I have resolved them on my own, or at least I'm happy enough with what I think is appropriate;

a) When Otis Strikes in the woods, if you panic, you move to a nature trail and end your turn. No extra panic movement once you get to the trail. You effectively use up your panic moves finding a nature trail and getting back to camp.

b) CJ's coach ability specifically mentions counselors, but not campers. Therefore the +1 to die rolls doesn't apply to campers in his care/cabin. It also doesn't apply to his own rolls, only "other counselors".

c) The 8 Track Player can be used to divert Otis, even if the person drawing an Otis Strikes card isn't holding the item.

I plan on doing a few more playthroughs (solo plays at the moment, using all 6 counselors, and the normal set up). I'm wanting to be able to answer any situation consistently, so I'm making notes of things that I'm uncertain about as I come to them. Hopefully, after a few more plays, I'll have a better idea of what rules I want to use, and when/where they can be adjusted to make things easier/harder.

There were a couple of ideas I had;

i) Players with keys who can unlock/remove locks, can keep hold of locks in their backpack, and use them again later. They could be dropped in Otis's path to slow him down, or used to hinder other players if that's how you want to go...

ii) I played a couple of quick games at the weekend and we never saw a camper. You could have a set up ("Happy Campers"?) which involves all counselors starting the game with 1-2 campers in their care. Or even with a few campers at the campfire (the counselors are sitting around telling ghost stories while they roast some 'smores). Each player then gets to choose which camper they want to take with them when they start wandering off. I suppose it would make things easier at the start.

iii) Separate the cameo cards at the start and have a separate pile. At the end of every round (before or after Otis's turn, it's up to you) draw a random cameo card. Move them to a random counselor and resolve the text. You can stop once each counselor has a cameo following their turn, or keep going until all cameos are on the board... you can also wait a round or two before starting this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.