Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Thompson
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I played 3R a few times in high school, we never learned all the rules, or butchered them, and MAYBE finished a game. I've since got a lot more wargaming under my belt, and wanted to introduce this into my semi-casual game night. How long do you think it takes to play a 1939 scenario? 8 hours? More, less?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Most of the time spent playing 3R is spent planning, and this can be as long or short as you like (and can be artificially capped as short as you like). Mechanically, 15 minutes a turn probably covers things, which puts a 1939 scenario at about 4 hours on the low end (though I'm certain it could be run faster). Double that and give each side about 15 minutes of planning per turn and you're looking at about 8 hours. The game will tend to skew shorter if you have fewer players and longer with more due to the need to compare notes on strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are playing the campaign game, in our first session we played from the Fall 1939 turn to the Winter 1940 turn, plus the 1941 Year Start Sequence, so six turns and three YSS. It took the three of us six hours to do this, and like you, two of us hadn't played in many years, and the third player had only ever played it once before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response guys. One other question. In my previous games, basically, we screwed up, because no one compared notes...or strategized together. Do you let one side have the room to themselves while they talk? I would think hashing out your plans in front of the enemy wouldn't work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris walsh
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cpthomp wrote:
Thanks for the response guys. One other question. In my previous games, basically, we screwed up, because no one compared notes...or strategized together. Do you let one side have the room to themselves while they talk? I would think hashing out your plans in front of the enemy wouldn't work very well.

Depends on how you look at it. My friend and I - we play one on one. But we respect the game more. The rules take time and there are plenty of them and they can be detailed. So even after 20 years or more we prefer to hash out all the small technical/mathematical details in front of the other. There's mutual input and we respect that because it works both ways. Of course if it's really on we surefire stick the rapier into the backbone - we are super competitive and all that in that regard and the meta-strategies obviously remain secret. But it's very easy to get the little things wrong ... and it's no fun to have your opponent bum out on some ridiculous error in the Winter of 1939 and having to reset after only an hours play..
Others of course differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve leiter
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
Captain, you may want to try the 'classic' rules to speed things up and make the game simpler. Scroll down to "Fritag" and related links to see how it is done. A lot more 'beer and pretzels' and a lot less planning, uses only 305 of 550 counters present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Are those all the rules? Do breakthrough and exploitation happen? Etc etc, or just go with what is there? Looks pretty awesome.

--Cpt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls