Subject: Where's Miss BGG gone ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Yesterday, I browsed a really fun list about miss BGG 2005. I came back today to post some stupid comments, but it seemed the list has disappeared....

Someone has a hint where it's gone ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a conspiracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it wasn't deleted by any Admins. Perhaps the user who posted it deleted it himself after the overwhelmingly negative response. Frankly, I thought it was in very bad taste to select a bunch of women whose pictures have been posted as examples of games and to "volunteer" them in some sort of contest based on appearance. We have enough problems as it is with women feeling unwelcome on this site--lists like that can't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I didn't see anything in bad taste in it - and even emailed to signal it to the friend who was ranked #4 ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
It was mainly the involuntary nature of the contest that I found to be, if not bad taste, at least poor judgment. If they had asked for volunteers to enter the Miss BGG contest, that would have been one thing, but they just combed through pictures and selected people whether they were interested in participating or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
faidutti wrote:
I didn't see anything in bad taste in it - and even emailed to signal it to the friend who was ranked #4 ;-)

Some people do not like to be involuntarily singled-out for their appearance... even if the remarks are positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really. People should get over themselves.

It was a totally harmless geeklist.

Next up: Mr. Wargamer of 2005.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
JeremiahClayton wrote:
If I can play the Devil's Advocate for one one moment:

If one does not wish to participate in any contest/discussion involving pictures submitted to the geek.. the subjects of the pictures should ask that the pictures be removed. Is a MISS BGG GeekList any different then GeekLists involving "disturbing" pictures? No one cried "bad taste" when the Coloretto guy's picture was posted on countless GeekLists. Isn't the posting of Busen Memo on lists unrelated to the game in "bad taste"? Could one not be just as offended if any photograph they submitted was used in a manner they consider "bad taste"?

Personally I think those sort of geeklists are funny and pretty harmless as well and that they shouldn't they be removed. However there have been instances of people getting upset when they realize that they were singled out and "poked-fun-at", especially when they didn't upload the photo.

Obviously you, nor I, nor most people mind having thier image criqued and viewed by many people, however some people do... and then when some people start in with female-gender related comments that some people might consider to be in bad taste you see people getting upset.

Having run a large forum in the past all I can say is that I sympathize with the admins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the user deleted his own list, so no blame to the admins here.

Also, the question does arise whether the women in question knew their pictures were on the geek at all. Yes, the person who submitted the picture knows, but that's not the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's wrong judging women (or men) only by their looks. One geeklist might be harmless, but taken together with magazines, TV and movies etc. it's not. It creates the impression that women are only worth something if they are beautiful. That in turn creates all kinds of problems one of them being that young girls think they have to look like supermodels to be accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.