War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Rear Guard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mauck
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When splitting an army in two, right before battle, is the rear guard moved 1 space away? Please help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabbath2112 wrote:
When splitting an army in two, right before battle, is the rear guard moved 1 space away? Please help...

You don't move any troops at all before the battle is over. You don't even move the attackers into the region you will be fighting over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furthermore, answering the Op's question, no, even when the battle is won and the attackers proceed into that space, the units that stay back don't get to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mauck
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I get it now, only an attacking army can create a rear guard, which is mandatory if the attackers contain any units that are not at war. Just wasn't sure if the rear guard was moved one space away from the battle.
Thank you very much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to note that you do need to announce which units are attacking though. You cannot attack with the entire army and then leave units back after they participated in the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We seperate the units slightly (within the region they're attacking from still), just to distinguish. One player even lays down the Rear Guard pieces until battle is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:
It's important to note that you do need to announce which units are attacking though. You cannot attack with the entire army and then leave units back after they participated in the battle.

You can leave troops behind after they attack. Page 31 says:
Quote:
If the defending army is eliminated or retreats, the attacker may immediately move all or part of the units participating in the attack into the embattled region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
TGCRequiem wrote:

You can leave troops behind after they attack. Page 31 says:
Quote:
If the defending army is eliminated or retreats, the attacker may immediately move all or part of the units participating in the attack into the embattled region.

thumbsup

thanks for pointing that out. The game is great (if not the best) but the rules are quite complicated, i.e. lots of stuff to remember during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always understood the attacking army can leave all, some, or none of the army behind if they can move into an attacked region. So why would you ever need a rear guard? I get that mixed attacking nations can't always allow all to participate, but what would be the strategic reason to have a rear guard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
I always understood the attacking army can leave all, some, or none of the army behind if they can move into an attacked region. So why would you ever need a rear guard? I get that mixed attacking nations can't always allow all to participate, but what would be the strategic reason to have a rear guard?

The only example I've ever seen is if the Shadow player is attacking a Free army with a companion (especially a hobbit). In that case, they may leave the minion behind to protect them from Fateful Strike or Blade of Westernesse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh ya! the hobbit story. I remember discussions of "watch out for suspicious moving hobbits". I will look for those cards today. Thanks Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.