Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Jakab

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card List & Analysis: Cards #5-16
Pity about Fire Ships, that was a rather brilliant/crazy move on Drake's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Riskey
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card List & Analysis: Cards #5-16
Playing Dragut Falls against Dragut turns Ottoman piracy from a scourge against Spain to a nuisance, halving the Ottoman from 4 to 2 dice for at least 1 turn if not the rest of the game. I think this is a game changer for Spain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
Regarding Papal Bull, don't overlook the benefits of excommunicating Elizabeth. Depending on Spain's intentions with England, I don't think the option is weak at all. True, the other powers may not care as much about this option, but Spain sure does.

First of all, it lowers the cost to DOW England by 2. By itself, this lowers the cost from 5 to 3. By reaching the threshold of 3, Spain is then allowed to put units in Ireland or Scotland. This would then automatically trigger war with England.

So, by excommunicating Elizabeth, and getting troops to Ireland or Scotland, perhaps using the Armada as a D-day invasion force, that can save Spain the 5 CP cost of going to war with England. (Assuming Mary escapes capture.)

Speaking of the Armada, if Elizabeth is excommunicated, both options on the Spanish Armada card get 1 extra CP. This means on the first play of Spanish Armada, the Armada can be placed and built to a strength of 6. The second play would give 8 CP. Enough to strength the Armada to 8, giving 5 CP left over to build something have enough CP to get to England and land the troops.

Without the excommunication, it takes 2 plays of Spanish Armada to get the Armada to strength 8, with 3 CP left over, but only 1 extra CP on the second play. With the excommunication, it takes 2 plays of the card, put with 5 CP left over, and all that on the second play of the card. Having 4 extra CP when you're ready to launch the Armada can get you to England and on the beach immediately.

The benefits of the Armada Indulgence card are similarly increased if Elizabeth is excommunicated. (And that card also gives an extra CP is Spain controls the Papacy.)

Excommunicating Elizabeth is a direct benefit if Spain is going to go after England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen precious little use of the Armada in roughly two dozen games played/moderated/spectated, and still have yet to see Elizabeth excommunicated a single time. The Spain-England DOW cost decrease to 3 has occurred in nearly every game, but it's always been from Scottish Lords Rebel causing an English or Protestant activation of Scotland.

When Spanish players have won or retained control of the Papacy, so far they've always favored the immediacy of the other choices. The bonuses to later Armada-related activities is nice, but excommunication is definitely the long play--and with games so rarely going past Turn 5* I can see why it hasn't been chosen.

* a function of the groups, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Original Poster having deleted his account (and thus deleting his post) I went ahead and scanned a hard copy I had on hand and have uploaded it to the Virgin Queen File section as a pdf. It's really good stuff and well worth a read.

***You can find it here.***

The pdf has all of the non-home cards in a single document. So, it's not split up 5-16 or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn´t this nearly the same?: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100646/virgin-queen-ca...

Seems like this file is not known good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta admit... you got me Georg. blush

I noticed a while ago that this was missing and never got around to posting it myself. In the meantime, other folks have stepped up. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.