Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep that in mind when the championship cricket match between England and India ends in a shared victory for both sides due to inclement weather.

shake shake shake shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean I have to kiss my sister again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Trinidad
Colorado
flag msg tools
Learn from the past, look to the future.
badge
One of these things is not like the others.
Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Darth MaulMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - SithMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - InquisitorsMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Kylo RenMicrobadge: Star Wars: Darksaber
scribidinus wrote:
Spending a little too much time in Tenneessee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Duke UniversityMicrobadge: Lemur fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Daniel Tosh fan - And for That We Thank You
scribidinus wrote:

You need an excuse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Moxie drinkerMicrobadge: I love New EnglandMicrobadge: Tom Brady fanMicrobadge: I attended Lobster Trap!
Participation ribbons for everyone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Just keep that in mind when the championship cricket match between England and India ends in a shared victory for both sides due to inclement weather.

shake shake shake shake
Don't be silly, cricket matches never end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Ashes (the test series against Australia) still as big a deal as it was when I was first taught about cricket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Is the Ashes (the test series against Australia) still as big a deal as it was when I was first taught about cricket?
Yep huge. It is the most important series of matches in Cricket.

This year is pretty unique in that there is two Ashes tournaments. The first is in England this summer, the second is in Australia in the winter* (all seasons are northern hemisphere). This is very unusual as they are normally around 18 months apart.

* Well 4 of the 5 matches are this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:

shake shake shake shake
You forgot to add "AFTER FIVE DAYS OF PLAY".

I don't mind draws, sometimes they are a perfectly valid outcome to a match. Neither side was able to perform well enough to win it (or in some cases, neither side deserved a bloody win). As long as it's not a final where a win/loss result is required, keep the draw.

I find the American obsession with NEEDING a winner after every match a bit odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
I find the American obsession with NEEDING a winner after every match a bit odd.
How else do you propose we prove that our team is BETTER than their team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
losfp wrote:

bring in the Chesterfield (at 2:25 or so)

arrrharrrharrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that the lads don't like cricket all that much. Or sports in general for that matter -- they certainly found a lot to satirize in football (gay goal celebrations, exploding strikers, the Long John Silver All-Stars, and so forth).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
losfp wrote:
Sometimes you witness a match containing such ineptitude from both sides that you want to pretend that said match NEVER HAPPENED.

Both sets of supporters walk away happy with the draw on the assumption that we never speak of it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:

shake shake shake shake
Well, as Brian Johnson used to say, cricket is all about having the ability to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. You've got to be good enough to force the win at Test level. Anything else just isn't cricket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's Cricket, so ...it's not really much of a sport, anyway. Not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

shake shake shake shake
You forgot to add "AFTER FIVE DAYS OF PLAY".

I don't mind draws, sometimes they are a perfectly valid outcome to a match. Neither side was able to perform well enough to win it (or in some cases, neither side deserved a bloody win). As long as it's not a final where a win/loss result is required, keep the draw.
Is Cricket the only sport where there is a difference between a tie and a draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
In Test Cricket, the match is not won unless both teams complete two innings. In other words, either each side must go through its entire ten outs twice over the course of the match or one of the innings must be shortened through "declaration" (you've gotten so many runs that you're pretty sure your opponent can't catch up, so you say the inning is over so that you'll have enough time left to collect ten outs while your opponent bats). The team that is NOT batting is considered to be the attackers because they want to get people out quickly. Scoring a lot of runs means yo are staying at bat longer, frustrating the attackers.

It is extremely rare for each team to score the exact same number of runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
andyl wrote:
In Test Cricket, the match is not won unless both teams complete two innings. In other words, either each side must go through its entire ten outs twice over the course of the match or one of the innings must be shortened through "declaration" (you've gotten so many runs that you're pretty sure your opponent can't catch up, so you say the inning is over so that you'll have enough time left to collect ten outs while your opponent bats). The team that is NOT batting is considered to be the attackers because they want to get people out quickly. Scoring a lot of runs means yo are staying at bat longer, frustrating the attackers.

It is extremely rare for each team to score the exact same number of runs.
Extremely rare. In test cricket I think that there has only been two ties ever.

In one day cricket ties are far more common as there are a fixed number of overs per team (usually 50 overs of six balls each).

I would say that at different times during a game you can be attacking or defending when bowling or batting. Knowing when to do each is part of the key of a good captain.

Also Michael didn't explain the difference between a tie and a draw.

In a test match a tie is when both teams get exactly the same number of runs and both teams have had both of their full innings (both sets of 10 outs - for the benefit of non-cricket fans).

In a test match a draw is when the team that bats last runs out of time and has not exceeded the other team's score but still has wickets (they still have some players that the other team hasn't got out) in hand. This happens quite regularly. Typically 30-40% of test matches* are drawn. Australia is a bit below that, India a bit above.

* Excluding Bangladesh who are by far the weakest (and newest) test nation at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ESPN3 in America, the streaming sports service, shows some one-day competitions (like the recent ICC tournament in England) but no tests.

I had an Australian correspondent who adored cricket. She sent me a (red) ball once and also sent me at one point a book of cricket-inspired cartoons. As a result I ended up picking up a copy of Minden Playing Card Cricket for review and found myself playing out matches and rating historical players and teams (I'd also received some Ashes boxscore books).

At the time I was writing sportsgame reviews for an English zine. They were surprised I'd found a cricket game that was printed in Arizona.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Also Michael didn't explain the difference between a tie and a draw.

In a test match a tie is when both teams get exactly the same number of runs and both teams have had both of their full innings (both sets of 10 outs - for the benefit of non-cricket fans).

In a test match a draw is when the team that bats last runs out of time and has not exceeded the other team's score but still has wickets (they still have some players that the other team hasn't got out) in hand. This happens quite regularly.
Quite right. A simpler way of putting it is:

A tie is a completed game with equal scores
A draw is an incomplete game (due to time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Halloween 2019
Microbadge: Helping build a better RPG Community!Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 fanMicrobadge: Cricket fanMicrobadge: I can't remember buying this microbadge
In fact, India won over a reduced 20 over match...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls