Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down to play against my daughters Michael (12), Robyn(10) and my son Calvin(9). We decided to visit West Germany in 1974, and split the teams randomly amongst us.

I got the worst deal with Scotland, Yugoslavia, Italy and Australia, which meant my best team was blue. Calvin got The Netherlands, East Germany, Sweden and Chile and announced from the start that he didn't care what happened to Chile. Robyn got West Germany, Argentina, Zaire and Bulgaria leaving Michael with Haiti, Brazil, Uruguay and Poland. We always add up the rankings for the various teams to see who the favourite is, and got the following:
Calvin: 11
Robyn: 14
Michael: 15
Me: 17

I realised my best chance was with Group 2 as two of my teams went up against a Red team and a White team, so I had a good chance to get through to the next round with one of my teams. Michael tended to concentrate on Brazil as her best team, but tends to play fairly poorly, not always making best use of her cards. Robyn concentrated on getting her best two teams through. Calvin played a good strong game all round, not only playing for his own teams, but also against the other powerful teams to try and get them out early.

Group 1
West Germany 4 Chile 0
East Germany 1 Australia 0
Australia 0 West Germany 3
Chile 0 East Germany 1
Australia 0 Chile 0
East Germany 1 West Germany 3

Nothing too surprising, with the two Germanys advancing with little opposition. I had tried placing a few Attack tiles on Australia to draw the other players in to a deeper battle, but it went pretty much unnoticed.

Group 2
Brazil 3 Yugoslavia 5
Zaire 0 Scotland 2
Yugoslavia 1 Zaire 0
Scotland 3 Brazil 1
Scotland 0 Yugoslavia 0
Zaire 1 Brazil 4

I used several high scoring and multiple scoring cards as well as a number of fouls and offsides to get my teams through this round, with Brazil finishing third and being the surprise early exit. Michael panicked when Calvin placed a goal for Zaire, and overreacted with a four goal stomping when two of those goals would have been better used elsewhere.

Group 3
Uruguay 2 Netherlands 3
Sweden 1 Bulgaria 0
Bulgaria 0 Uruguay 0
Netherlands 3 Sweden 0
Bulgaria 0 Netherlands 3
Sweden 2 Uruguay 1

No real shocks here, with Calvin controlling the strongest to teams in the group and Robyn not really caring about Bulgaria.

Group 4
Italy 1 Haiti 0
Poland 0 Argentina 1
Argentina 2 Italy 2
Haiti 0 Poland 0
Argentina 1 Haiti 0
Poland 2 Italy 1

There's always a boring group in every World Cup, and this was it. The least goals and the most draws. Argentina topped the group, and I managed to get Italy through on goals scored ahead of Poland.

Michael had failed to get any teams through to the second round, so was tasked with getting our youngest child, a non-player, ready for bed. Group A had my Italy and Yugoslavia, Robyn's West Germany and Calvin's Netherlands. Group B had my Scotland, Robyn's Argentina East Germany and Sweden.

Group A
West Germany 2 Yugoslavia 3
Netherlands 2 Argentina 2
Netherlands 5 West Germany 6
Yugoslavia 0 Italy 0
Italy 1 West Germany1
Netherlands 1 Yugoslavia 2

Some absolute goalfests with frantic card laying all round saw Yugoslavia top the group with West Germany taking the runner up spot. Calvin invested heavily in The Netherlands but to no avail, largely through Robyn's ability to pick up Offsides and 2 goal cards all the time.

Group B
East Germany 0 Scotland 1
Argentina 1 Sweden 0
Scotland 1 Argentina 1
Sweden 0 East Germany 0
Scotland 1 Sweden 0
East Germany 0 Argentina 1

Calvin's concentration on Group A cost him any chance in group B. A couple of plays from Robyn and myself gave us joint first position. With Argentina and Scotland tied on points, goals scored, goal difference and the result between the teams, a coin was tossed to decide who would go to the final.....

Robyn called tails, and sent Argentina to play West Germany in the 3rd/4th place playoff. I got the final all to myself. We decided to play through anyway, just for fun. At the end of 90 minutes, West Germany had beaten Argentina 6-0. that's home field advantage for you.

The World Cup final finished 2-2. I decided I would do the replay blind, playing the first card off the pack for Yugoslavia, the second card for Scotland and so on, unless it would have been really daft. The replay was 2-2. the replayed replay was also 2-2. The third replay resulted in Scotland running out 3-2 winners in what must have been the strangest World Cup in history.

Teams
Winners: Scotland
Runner Up: Yugoslavia
3rd place: West Germany
4th place: Argentina

Players
Winner: Me
Runner Up: Robyn
3rd place: Calvin
4th place: Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I loved the write up. That was a really strange finish. Perhaps you should explain to readers that the final in those days was decided by a replayed GAME. (no overtime, no golden goal, no shootouts). At least that's what I assume, it was a bit unclear.

How realistic did you find the results? The 6-5 game seemed a little strange, also Brazil using up goals to beat Zaire do you think this takes away from the game play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 1974, I believe the World Cup final would have gone to extra time, then a replay if the teams were tied. The actual match was decided in 90 minutes so I can't be sure.

The 6-5 game seems an unrealistic result. Both the teams involved, Netherlands and West Germany, were powerhouses of football so it would be unlikely that either side would let in that many goals. However, you do get extreme results in football. Also, this game is as much about the story that unfolds as it is about historical sports simulation. The World Cup is as much about the story as it is about football. So it kind of fits that way too.

As for Brazil scoring loads against Zaire, that was just bad play from my daughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Isnt there an NCAA basketball tournament game that works sort of like this? Anyhow, that was a good read..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.