Subject: Looking to try a wargame, suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan R.
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out some of the solitaire games from Dan Versen Games. Field Commander: Napoleon is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Battles Deluxe has a very low counter density and plays quickly. The rules are online. Give them a read and see if it’s for you. Men of Iron is a good game, but it won't play in even close to an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Irish wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to try Wargaming but I have no idea where to start so am asking for recommendations.

The game I am looking for needs to be playable solo and I would ideally like a Dark Ages/Medieval or Crusades theme. Having looked around the two games I've found so far are Onward, Christian Soldiers and Men of Iron, but with young children in the house I don't think I'd get the time to finish a game of either. To this end I would also like the game to be playable within about 1 hour, not be too complex (I'm a beginner) and have good replay value. Oh, and I need to be able to get a copy of it without too much difficulty

Does such a game exist?

Many thanks

Ancient games aren't really my forte (I prefer guns), but both Field Commander: Napoleon and Fading Glory are great Napoleonic games that play very well solitaire (in Fading Glory you have to play both sides).

Any of the Field Commander Series is great, and I quite enjoy any of the leader series too (well, I've heard not great things about U-Boat Leader, though it still looks good). They're probably some of the more elegant designed solitaire games out there (good rules, lots of choices, doesnt' take more than an hour to play). And with some of the player resources (especially for Thunderbolt Apache Leader) on BGG, you can break down and reset up the game quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Men of Iron is about as small as I can get and still get any real flavor.

Ancient Battles Deluxe fits your requirements better, but I was
left feeling the way I do with a game of chess - spending too much
time thinking, and just not getting the story that I expect from
a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

It has 4 battles: LEGNANO (1176), BOUVINES (1214), LEWES (1264), and
BANNOCKBURN (1314).

Here are the rules (9 pages of them):
http://www.worthingtongames.com/images/cm/ChainmailRules0605...

It has dedicated solitaire rules along with 2 player rules. It's a very simple game... a little longer than you listed (90-120 min), and just outside of the dark ages. That's as close as I could get for you.

It's listed on the Marketplace for $19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Irish wrote:
Having looked around the two games I've found so far are Onward, Christian Soldiers and Men of Iron, but with young children in the house I don't think I'd get the time to finish a game of either.
Hi David,

Before I cleared out the garage I had the same problem. Getting a game and then playing it on vassal was the way I dealt with larger games. Vassal is pretty straightforward once you've messed about with it.

I'm really struggling to think of wargames that play under an hour, yet alone specifically dark ages/medieval ones. I can only wish you the best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles of the Middle Ages: Legnano
medieval, 30 minutes, not too complex - check
replay value - maybe not, just try it
be able to get a copy of it - it is free for print&play

Disclaimer: I have yet to play it, and I'm a wargame beginner, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
North_Irish wrote:
Having looked around the two games I've found so far are Onward, Christian Soldiers and Men of Iron, but with young children in the house I don't think I'd get the time to finish a game of either.
Hi David,

Before I cleared out the garage I had the same problem. Getting a game and then playing it on vassal was the way I dealt with larger games. Vassal is pretty straightforward once you've messed about with it.

I'm really struggling to think of wargames that play under an hour, yet alone specifically dark ages/medieval ones. I can only wish you the best of luck!
I know some games play a but better on vassal, but in general I'm not a big fan. Some of the more fiddly games might be worth trying out. Plus, it's super easy to just save the game and walk away, and most modules really shorten up setup time to almost nonexistent. For some reason I have trouble having fun on it though, but it is a good suggestion. Sometimes you might he able to get ahold of a rulebook for a game and give it a shot on vassal before you take the plunge and buy it, but it's not that way for every game. I have downloaded the rulebook and vassal module for Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic because it's so darn expensive. Next for me is dday at Omaha beach. Funnily enough I'd rather play Fields of Fire in person, regardless of how super fiddly it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
Microbadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fanMicrobadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: CoolStuff Inc fanMicrobadge: Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requests
I would recommend Infidel which is part of the Men of Iron Series. It is in print, very solo friendly, and an excellent game in my opinion. Unfortunately I don't believe you will finish a battle in an hour. It will be closer to two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God: The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453. Fast, simple, no hidden info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
Miniatures ok? Try Fields of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infidel is basically Men of Iron for the Crusades. Some of the battles are pretty small and should play quickly once you are comfortable with the rules.

Crusader Rex would be more forgiving to a novice than Onward Christian Soldiers. It plays in a few hours but is pretty easy and once you know it you'll be able to pick up other block games in a snap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls