Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced a while back. My main concern is that it looks like once you get a good strategy you will play that same way every time (as all cards are always available). It looks like the cards that allow you to attack will help as they are random. Could someone give me a reason to buy/not buy? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jared,

I am planning on getting in a third play tomorrow night, at which point I will write up a more in-depth review. Here is a short version:

It has a neat sci-fi futuristic semi-steampunk theme, which a whole page of the 6 page rulebook is devoted to.

This is NOT a 4X game, though it might look like one. It's kind of like a bidding game, only the ships are your currency and the tactics cards are the bid. Because the cap on number of ships is pretty low compared with your income and their price, there is not much point in building up your fleet over multiple turns. Instead you build the ships (almost from scratch) which match your tactics cards and hope to prevail in combat, often losing half or more of your ships during combat, win or lose. Your planet buildings are more long term, and a small set of dominant strategies may emerge as far as those, but I think ship/unit and upgrade strategies will not be dominant.

You asked specifically about replayability. I agree that at-a-glance it looks low. There are two things that increase the replayability up to at least moderate (you'll have to let me actually replay it a lot before I know if it is high ).

----One is the tactics cards. The cards you have really shape what ships you can use and how effective they will be. There isn't a "cruisers strategy" unless you have cruiser tactic cards and how effective that tactic card is depends on what ships your opponents have. Very dynamic in that sense

----The second is the event-card-like effects of the planet which is next to be fought over. These effects are substantial and need to be accounted for. for example a friend damaged himself with an interstellar missile because of the effect.

In most games there are multiple paths to victory or your tools change from game to game and the challenge is using the tools you have to reach the goal. Titanium Wars is unusual in that the tools are constant, but the "problem" changes from round to round.

I hope that helps you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I think I am gonna pull the trigger on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Gray
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was the surprise hit for me and my group at origins. I had never heard of it so my group sat down for a demo. We thought it was amazing right away. It is a simple game, but has plenty of depth and paths to victory.

The game really has only two phases. Buy stuff to make your planets and fleet better and then fight the other players for the current new planet with your fleet.

With a new planet and condition comming out to follow every turn. Plus having to adjust your tactics to go with your tactics cards and to counter your opponents. This keeps the game moving and fresh the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly enough the artwork is what sold me in the beginning. The different "civilizations" you can be are packed with character. Gonna pick it up from Cool Stuff at the Dice Tower Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is fantastic, and the replayability value is very high if you're willing to experiment. Due to the "open market" system and the fact that different ships and gear become available at different tech levels, there is a great variety of build orders to design and use, which is pretty rare for a board game.
Another great aspect is the tactical card-driven combat. Units counter each other (Crisers > Fighters, Fighters > Minefields, etc), and the variety of upgrades adds a great deal of tactical depth. In order to win, a player must balance their fleet and their available tactics cards, while also adapting to the fleet composition of their opponents.
There is also a strong, almost poker-like emphasis on risk evaluation. A lot of hold-em-or-fold-em situations arise in every game, as taking over planets is crucial, but you can never know for sure whether you'll pull off the right tactic before your opponents' fleets blow you out of orbit. The field is open for mind games too, as you can look at a player's purchases to guess at their tactics card hand, and then trump them with a higher priority tactic, but one wrong guess (or one well-placed Diversion) could result in disaster.
So, in summary, here are the pros:
-Different characters to play with, each with a unique trick up their sleeve.
-Simultaneous action-taking, no waiting around doing nothing.
-Great strategic and tactical depth.
-Highly competitive. Supposedly, the makers will be releasing tournament guidelines next year, and that's something I personally can hardly wait for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.