Popular Tags: FoD [+] [View All]
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was completely taken aback by the FFG's statement on their web site that FoD takes 2-4 hours. I cross checked that against one of the reviews here which said something about 3 hours max with experienced players. I was ready to get this as soon as it hits the shelves but 3-4 hours will not play with my family and friends.

Those of you who have played already - does it really take that long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It really depends on the playing style of the group. As with most games, it speeds up as you gain familiarity with the game. It can easily take 3 hours for an inexperienced group though.

A supremely competent or incompetent Dracula speeds things up considerably, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, it takes 2-4 hours.
Dracula's style determines the lenght (if he opts for a "hiding" strategy, relying on New Vampires and elapsed time to win, the game will last more. If he prefers to attack, probably someone weakened by the encounters and with the favour of the night, the game is going to end sooner, whoever wins the combat).
Of course, the fisrt time(s) will be longer as you need to read every card you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first 2-3 times you play it will take 3+ hours. Once everybody pretty much knows what gear they want for their hunter, how to deal with various encounters, and event cards you need to plan for the game speeds up considerably.

Once everyone knows what they are doing the whole thing should take about 2 1/2 hours. I doubt most people will get much below that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible just to play a shortened version by reducing the # of vps Dracula needs to win and the starting blood level? If so any suggestions as to the # needed to make the game last 2 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
pusboyau wrote:
Is it possible just to play a shortened version by reducing the # of vps Dracula needs to win and the starting blood level? If so any suggestions as to the # needed to make the game last 2 hours?

Rules suggest to play to only 4 VP (instead of 6) if you are finding too hard for Dracula to win. if you go lower than that, it'll be EXTREMELY easy for Dracula to win (as not enough time is given to the Hunters), even if he has reduce starting blood.

However, I think that the standard 6 VPs make a quite balanced and tense game (I accept that it is an experience that needs 3 hours to be enjoyed... we play it less often, but we like more that times).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
We played three hours for our first game (four players), and only got through two days (dracula died very quickly!). Though it will get quicker as we get better, it won't get that much quicker. Unfortunately, this is a long game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
our first game was long. But our second game we have it down to about 35 to 45 minutes per game day including battles. So there is improvement. The thing that helps the most is to have a leader(me) to whip the other players and make them play faster.
1. I pester Dracula to pick the encounter marker he intends to play while it is still a hunter turn.
2. I distribute the cards as fast as I can. We play that the hunters always must take an event card when they have a choice.
3.As a hunter receives a card I ask: "Does it say play immediately" If not I say to the next player: "Move".
4. I remind players to think of their move ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
We play that the hunters always must take an event card when they have a choice.

Yikes. So, if you are loaded for bear and have Drac cornered, you keep drawing Event cards? Even though you're risking pulling Drac's teleport card? When to draw event cards and when not to is one of the not-so-subtle strategies in the game... I think you may be missing the boat on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played as the hunters for the first time the other day, and only my fourth ever game. It was a 2 player affair, with me having to control all the hunters (so many cards to manage !) but I was pleased to discover our first game, which did feature Evasion and lots of other events, took only 90 minutes to play.

Then a second game, where I gritted my teeth and refused event cards whilst I had a reasonable idea where Dracula was, seemed like it might be as quick - but Dracula's liberal use of sea travel drew the game out quite a bit, and with Stormy Seas / Rufus to further punish such play, it did turn into a bit of a war of attrition, finally finish by a resolve point and heroic leap, simply played as my opponent had to catch a train. Glad it worked and ended the game anyway.

So the second game took just over 3 hours. I guess the conclusion here is even with people who are quick enough players, the game can take longer than expected. It is a 2-4 hours game, as stated, but we have now gone slightly over AND slightly under that figure - unlike other FFG games which ALWAYS seem to tend toward the upper limit more often that not !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a game which lasted for SIX hours in total (it was split up in two sessions).
The causes:
- 2 player game, both not too familiar with the game - one player managing 4 hunters (this costs a lot of time, looking up the cards of each character again and again)
- after 2 and a half hours Drac played his "teleport" card - thus "restarting" the game
- very, very bad weapon cards for the hunters - almost none which could hurt Dracula. So the hunters knew where he was - but couldn't do much more than drawing cards, hoping to get better equipment ... in the end Dracula won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.