Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello - hopefully SOMEONE might be able to help....

I'm reading through my Filemaker 5.5 manual, which is painfully non-helpful.

I have a database, and I'd like to publish the information to my existing website, to a specific page. I'd like to be able to have users search, view and sort the records, but NOT add, delete or modify any records. In other words, the information would be static. I'd like people to access this from MY website -- and not navigate off my website to use the database.

I am completely 'lost' as to how to accomplish this, as the manual, again, is not helpful.

Any assistance as to how to facilitate my uploading the information to my site would be greatly appreciated. Even detailed online tutorials would help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
Canada
Quebec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at home right now, but I use Filemaker at my job so I am familiar with it. I have plenty of resources and links over there. I'll get back to you tomorrow about that all.

You have Filemaker *Pro*, right?

I think your options are limited with this one, but there still are several ways to do what you want to do. With 5.5, the worst is to use an ODBC connection, which by all means should be standard, but it's buggy and slow at the best of times.

I understand too that you host your own website, or that you have physical access to your web server.

Know also that with Filemaker Pro, the number of simultaneous users reading your database is very limited.

Anyway as I said, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff!

This is great news!

Let me answer your questions:

1. I have Filemaker Pro 5.5, yes
2. I do not host my own site, nor have access to the server. I upload the site to a friend's server at another location. This is why the data (maybe) should be static, as compared to dynamic.
3. I don't have a lot of users that will need to access this, simultaneously.

I'll shoot an email to you, as well, with my 'real-life' email, for easier communication.

Thanks again!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.