Popular Tags: [View All]
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to find a better way to search the text within the game reviews for keywords.

Game titles is the only field you can search right now (not counting mechanic, category or stats) and they do not always reflect the nature/subject of the game.

Take skiing for example. I know I can search for words that the author/publisher might have used to title a game. But if they didn't and chose something more oblique, well it is hit or miss.

Anyone know of a way to search the text within the game reviews for keywords? It seems to be limited to game titles, mechanics, category, and a host of statistical means. thanks

Carey Grayson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a game's page, click on "Search Game Forums". That will give you all the reviews, sessions, comments, questions, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
On a game's page, click on "Search Game Forums". That will give you all the reviews, sessions, comments, questions, etc.

Unfortunately, this only gives you the reviews, sessions, comments and questions for a single game. cjgrayso wants to search all reviews of all games by keyword - e.g. finding all reivews with the word "skiing" or all reviews with the words "card driven wargame". This currently isn't possible, since the word "review" doesn't appear in the topic subject of reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cat wrote: cjgrayso wants to search all reviews of all games by keyword

Exactly! Advance Search does not provide a means for searching for key words in the description or reviews either (e.g. skiing). I am forced to search for a game about skiing by title only.

For a site whose purpose is to give gamers a repository for games, it doesn't make sense to me that you can't search for key words in game descriptions and/or reviews. Just my 2 cents.

Carey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who has an interest in this thread, I've done some more thinking and came up with what I think is a solution to the problem.

In Google, type "site:URL[space]keyword" you are searching for like so:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com skiing

I came up with 386 hits. Scrolling through the pages, however, I found that the majority of the hits are user profiles and skiing is a pretty popular hobby as it turns out. cool

If you go to the bottom of the results page and click on "Search within results" you can narrow your results by looking for more keywords within the results.

Typing in "Mechanics" to ensure I am looking only at game reviews and the number of hits drops to 19.

Looking at this new list of hits I see that they are mostly reviews about games about skiing. Eureka! laugh

You can use the "Search within results" feature as often as you like to further narrow your hits, but this can give you weird results, so you may have to try different keywords.

Happy searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.