Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a block which ends a mandatory withdrawal in its start position is reduced until eliminated. How is this rule applied? At first I thought this meant each turn it finds itself in this situation, it suffers a reduction and that continues until eliminated.

But the rule doesn't say this occurs over multiple turns and I realized it might mean you go through the reduction process repeatedly in the current turn until the block is eliminated. This makes sense in that an immediate process to eliminate a block would also consume some of the available reduction blocks. Also, reductions occur as a result of attacks and a multi-turn reduction would imply a continued attack from the winning block. I'm inclined to interpret this rule as an immediate elimination.

Anyone have a different view on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I interpreted it as you did in that the important component was having the attrition on the reduced blocks since they would affect other presumably brigades of the same division who may still be in the field as they watch their reserves deplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, immediate elimination with the corresponding loss of replacement blocks. Note, though, that this shouldn't have a meaningful effect -- if it's a full-strength block being reduced, just pick two strength-1 blocks for the first reduction step, and you won't jeopardize your strength-2 blocks. If you don't have two strength-1 blocks left, then it doesn't matter -- only one strength-1 block remaining means that this is that unit's last full-strength block (actually, its last strength-2 block of any type), and so any residual strength-2 blocks can't come into play anyway.

Really, you can skip the whole "suffers reduction until eliminated" thing. Simply removing the block accomplishes the same effect, and removes the possibility that the player forgets that he need not offer any strength-2 blocks as intermediate replacements. I would recommend, though, that you go ahead and set aside one of the strength-1 blocks just to keep that record-keeping straight (else you may be asking "hey, why do I still have this strength-1 block around?" later on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good observation, Stephen. I can't find a case where the reduction process in this situation would make a difference either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls