Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: So what did you think about the World War Z movie? Potential spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Pokémon GO fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pokémon GO - Team MysticMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!
Personally, I hated the film.yuk

Internally inconsistant. Nonsensical premise. Just plain bad.shake

Even if I wasn't a big fan of the original book, I still would have hated this travesty of a film.

So what did you like or hate about World War Z the movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: So what did you think about the movie? Potential spoilers
Springheeledjack wrote:
Personally, I hated the film.yuk

Internally inconsistant. Nonsensical premise. Just plain bad.shake

Even if I wasn't a big fan of the original book, I still would have hated this travesty of a film.

So what did you like or hate about World War Z the movie?
You mean aside that it almost had nothing in common with the book? I wasn't a big fan of the original book, nut all of the changes made to the movie version were for the worse. Also zombie movies should never be PG-13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best zombie movie EVER! (Well except for the plane crash part.) Never read the book and don't care to. Got the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Pokémon GO fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pokémon GO - Team MysticMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!
PG-13 was a gift. Should have been PG at the most.

No gore. No blood. Nothing.

What else did I hate?

Zoombies instead of Zombies.

The 12 second conversion from bite to full transformation, except when inconvient for the plot. That IDF soldier was bit for over 6 seconds before the mighty Brad Pitt chopped off her hand and saved her. I hate it when a movie ignores its own rules.

BTW, how the hell does the Zoombie plague spread globaly with a 12 second incubation time? GIANT PLOT HOLE!

Nobody got eaten.

Zoomies don't attack people who are sick. They can't even see them. Go lick a dirty toilet seat or catch the sniffles and the Zoombies can't see you? WTF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Walt Mulder wrote:
Best zombie movie EVER! (Well except for the plane crash part.) Never read the book and don't care to. Got the board game.
You mean you didn't like the PC invincibility power Brad Pitt displayed over and over throughout the whole film.

Now the best ZOMBIE film EVER is "The Dead". zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:

BTW, how the hell does the Zoombie plague spread globaly with a 12 second incubation time? GIANT PLOT HOLE!
What? This would make it EASIER to spread globally. Zombie A bites Victim A, moves on to bite someone else. 12 seconds later Victim A (now Zombie B) attacks Victim B. In 12 seconds you have doubled your zombie population. 24 seconds later you have 4, 36 seconds you have 8, etc. Within a minute there are 32 zombies from the single Zombie A. In 2 minutes you have over a thousand - all from a single zombie bite.

The freaking plane crashed because one zombie turned a plane load of people into a plane load of zombies. How again is that a plot hole?

I, personally think fast zombies are tons more effective in creating a horror scenario. Anything I can out walk, not that terrifying.

If you couldn't tell I loved the movie. Loved the book too, but was able to accept that the book and movie have pretty much just the name in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent virus action film! It definitely wasn't a zombie horror movie but that's ok. Excellent job by Brad Pitt (which suprised me). The story line kind of felt like Patriot Games or Air Force One. The ending was feel-good, kind of reminding me of Red Dawn. Would love to see an alternate ending where Brad picked the wrong vial and gets half way out the automatic door before getting killed.

Loved the action sequences, and thought that except for 15 minutes in the second half of the movie the action rolled along well. Everything did seem to fall into place alittle too convenient (We need a plane. Hey look a plane! We could really use a freshly infected to work on. Hey someone just got bit and we cauterized the wound! Brad Pitt just arrived. Hey look, Everyone is singing louder all of a sudden!) but with the movie being just long enough to keep my interest, if they would have added plot twists I might have gotten bored.

Yes, if someone expected a Zombie movie, I could see how they would be let down. Luckily I had no disillusion going in. I still await a good World War Z movie, maybe a mini series on the History Channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sangediver wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

What? This would make it EASIER to spread globally. Zombie A bites Victim A, moves on to bite someone else. 12 seconds later Victim A (now Zombie B) attacks Victim B. In 12 seconds you have doubled your zombie population. 24 seconds later you have 4, 36 seconds you have 8, etc. Within a minute there are 32 zombies from the single Zombie A. In 2 minutes you have over a thousand - all from a single zombie bite.
And how exactly does the plague spread globally? Oceans are a little hard to cross by any means when there is almost no incubation time between infection and complete transformation.

You may want to read up a little on how diseases actually spread and become Pandemics. You need some sort of incubation time for infected people to spread a disease anywhere beyond a local area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Now the best ZOMBIE film EVER is "The Dead". zombie

Quoted for truth! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to chime in and say the best Zombie film ever is SEAN OF THE DEAD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:

And how exactly does the plague spread globally? Oceans are a little hard to cross by any means when there is almost no incubation time between infection and complete transformation.

You may want to read up a little on how diseases actually spread and become Pandemics. You need some sort of incubation time for infected people to spread a disease anywhere beyond a local area.

You do realize that Europe/Asia/Africa are basically all connected right? No need to travel over oceans. You may want "read up on" geography. If 87% of the world is infected, not a big stretch that a single infected makes it somehow. Especially if you take the excerpts from the book into account with the undead walking across the bottom of bodies of water.

Or, it's possible a plane that had an infected would actually land somewhere. More often than not the pilots don't come out of the cockpit, especially these days. The zombies would have no reason to attack the door, since no real noise would come from it. No reason that the pilots would either, A) Not know (unlikely) or B) Land anyway assuming there was a terrorist problem in the cabin.

For the record I DO understand how diseases are spread. With a biochem degree and years of work in an Infectious Disease Lab, I understand them quite well. However, those are real world diseases with real world limits, this is fantasy. So my next question is, did you start disbelieving in the virus before or after you accepted that the dead can walk?

::edited for grammar - Biochem major not English;)::
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Chit Chat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sangediver wrote:
I, personally think fast zombies are tons more effective in creating a horror scenario. Anything I can out walk, not that terrifying.
The thing that makes slow zombies terrifying is that while you can out walk them they are relentless. Because they are slow you're more likely to let your guard down & not take them seriously.
To me, zombies being slow is part of what makes a zombie what it is. Fast zombies might as well be any myriad of other monster/alien.

I may see this film someday as it sounds like it surprisingly turned out okay. I just wish they'd titled it something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with virus zombies as opposed to magic (voodoo/necromantic) zombies is that they are basing their zombies around something real world, with real world rules, that they then proceed to break, or contradict all over the place.

A virus that spreads basically at walking pace is going to take so long to spread that it would probably have difficulty infecting everyone in one country, let alone globally. It would be pretty bad in the city where the out break started, but even places a couple of hundred miles away would probably have enough time to set up defences, or more likely, evacuate. At least the book gave the virus some incubation time.

This is why I prefer the good, old fashioned, voodoo/necromantic zombies. When they try and science it up with viruses I actually have a harder time suspending belief and enjoying the subject for the fantasy that is.

I have a hard enough time trying not to look at a zombie movie and not go "nope, yet again another movie has the rotting person look all wrong." (17 years as an embalmer) Without having more things to suspend belief over.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved it. Thought the pacing was fantastic, and it was fun thrill ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Loved it. Thought the pacing was fantastic, and it was fun thrill ride.
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
msg tools
I thought it was a fun movie and visually there were a lot of great scenes, but the 12 second latency thing bothered me a lot too... the pathogen could not possibly spread worldwide without at least a 24 hour latency... and the longer the better... you need time for perfectly healthy looking infected people to get on-board planes and get to their destinations on the other side of the world. Compare HIV to Ebola for example... both came from the same exact region. Yet HIV is the global pandemic of the two, even though it is less easily transmitted, because it lies in wait for years before any serious symptoms show up.

The walking dead theory of the zombie apocalypse makes a lot more sense to me. I could see how that could spread worldwide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sangediver wrote:

You do realize that Europe/Asia/Africa are basically all connected right? No need to travel over oceans. You may want "read up on" geography. If 87% of the world is infected, not a big stretch that a single infected makes it somehow. Especially if you take the excerpts from the book into account with the undead walking across the bottom of bodies of water.
You do realize that Zoombies cannot sprint under the ocean, right?
You do realize that your infected plane theory is highly unrealistic, right?
You do realize that since these Zoombies do not attack sick individuals, large sections of the Third World would be immune to attack, right?
You do know that this film had nothing to do with the book, so referencing the book does nothing to support your explainations, right?
Quote:

So my next question is, did you start disbelieving in the virus before or after you accepted that the dead can walk?
I started disbelieving as soon as I saw how far some people are willing to warp realism, reason, and logic to make excuses for a very poorly written film with huge plot holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great movie, better book.

My biggest gripe was how the zombie was on the plane without anyone noticing for so long. Just about everything else I could explain to myself, but not this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

So much a fan. You realize it's SHAUN OF THE DEAD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Microbadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates Me
The movie was a bunch of videogame scenarios put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Hey. I just said it was the best Zombie film. No where did I quantify how much of a fan of it I am.

That and I totally forgot which spelling of Shawn, Sean, Shaun they used.

All I know is that movie entertained me way more than any other Zombie related media ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Microbadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates Me
MajaiofDreams wrote:
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Hey. I just said it was the best Zombie film. No where did I quantify how much of a fan of it I am.

That and I totally forgot which spelling of Shawn, Sean, Shaun they used.

All I know is that movie entertained me way more than nay other Zombie related media ever.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'd have to agree, Shaun of the Dead is a great movie. 1 of my top 5
favorite zombie flicks.

While it is a RomZomCom, it stayed true to the genre. You can really tell that the writers love and respect the zombie genre, unlike the writers of World War Z, who have no respect for the genre or the intellegence of the audience.

See you all at The Winchester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls