Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So up until this weekend I had this game listed at a 9 based on how much I loved the first play I had. This weekend, I introduced the game to my girlfriend. Wow. Three games later, this is a 10. No doubt about it. I'm changing my rating.

This now joins CO2 as the only 10 rated games in my collection. If push came to shove, this is the top game. I absolutely love everything about it. It is ridiculous to me that this game is OOP. This should be the type of game that is readily available to all types of gamers, because it is easy to learn, but deceptively deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Really? I may have to push this up on the get-to-table list, then. I got it because I thought my wife would like it, but wasn't quite sure how keen I'd be on it myself.

Now you've got me interested.

What did you like so much about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
A "10" is pushing it a bit. I really like Blue Moon City but it is a bit of an abstract, tactical game with some pseudo-negotiation elements to it.

It is simple and quicker which should appeal to a lot of people. On the downside, the theme is very much pasted on and often the winner is help determined through the actions of the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite good, aside from the first player advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Really? I may have to push this up on the get-to-table list, then. I got it because I thought my wife would like it, but wasn't quite sure how keen I'd be on it myself.

Now you've got me interested.

What did you like so much about it?

I'll do my best to describe why I like it so much. First, I absolutely love the art design which is carried over from the Blue Moon card game. I just really appreciate the whole look of the game.

Second, I like the fact that the board is slightly different every time you play. It affects the neighborhood bonuses in interesting ways. Also, those neighborhood bonuses add a great tactical element to the game.

Third, I absolutely love the different card interactions available. There's never been another game I've played where I felt more interactive with cards. I like how every turn can become a mini-puzzle..."How can I play a blue 4 and 5 when I don't have any blue cards?"

Fourth: Dragons! The dragons are awesome. It gets to the point where the movement of the dragons can make the difference between winning and losing. The clever acquisition of dragon scales is crucial.

Finally, while the game's mechanics are very simple (move, contribute, draw), there are a multitude of tactical decisions to be made throughout the game.

The game plays relatively quickly, and the fun factor is off the charts for me. Obviously, this won't be the same for everybody. I'd never try to convince someone that this should be a 10 ranked game for them. There's no doubt that it's a 10 ranked game for me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
A "10" is pushing it a bit. I really like Blue Moon City but it is a bit of an abstract, tactical game with some pseudo-negotiation elements to it.

It is simple and quicker which should appeal to a lot of people. On the downside, the theme is very much pasted on and often the winner is help determined through the actions of the other players.

What's interesting to me is that the pasted on theme argument is something I would agree with for almost all of Knizia's games, but most certainly not this one. I think this and the corresponding card game are extremely thematic. I especially love how the card powers correspond somewhat with the different elements of the Blue Moon races. We can agree to disagree on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both the card and the board game with my wife and we love it. The designs are abstract - it is Knizia - but they work really well (Knizia), and they actually are very atmospheric when you let them. Not just Knizia's usual number fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish that the card colors could have been coordinated with the dragons. It irks me to no end that to move the red dragon you play a black card and not a red one, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I really wish that the card colors could have been coordinated with the dragons. It irks me to no end that to move the red dragon you play a black card and not a red one, etc.

I get that I suppose, but the iconography on the cards is so clear, it doesn't bother me in the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the only Knizia game I really like along with T&E as a distant second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
What's interesting to me is that the pasted on theme argument is something I would agree with for almost all of Knizia's games, but most certainly not this one.

Fewer pasted on than you think, it's often confused with something else, which is heavy (some may often think over) abstraction. But I've commented on that before elsewhere.

But in this case the theme came first. (Along with the requirement to have cards to reuse the paid-for artwork.) And that I can guarantee as I happened to be in the room at the time. By theme I mean that it was to be the rebuilding of Blue Moon City after the war, with a cooperative as well as a competitive element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Sizzla wrote:
What's interesting to me is that the pasted on theme argument is something I would agree with for almost all of Knizia's games, but most certainly not this one.

Fewer pasted on than you think, it's often confused with something else, which is heavy (some may often think over) abstraction. But I've commented on that before elsewhere.

But in this case the theme came first. (Along with the requirement to have cards to reuse the paid-for artwork.) And that I can guarantee as I happened to be in the room at the time. By theme I mean that it was to be the rebuilding of Blue Moon City after the war, with a cooperative as well as a competitive element.

Trust me, you'll get no argument from me regarding theme in this game. I think (as I was trying to explain before) that this game is very thematic. I will often concede to others that many of his other games are pretty light thematically (Lost Cities comes to mind, even though it's a great game), but that has never kept me from marveling at the doctor's ability to create great games. As I said before, this is my new favorite game, and I completely envy the fact that you were there during its creation. I'd love to hear more about that, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
I completely envy the fact that you were there during its creation. I'd love to hear more about that, honestly.

There's actually not much more to say. There were a couple of sessions kicking around how the next Blue Moon deck (that became the Buka Invasion) and the board game (that became Blue Moon City) fit together in terms of history/theme. With regard to Blue Moon City they got about as far ss building the city, some cooperation, tiles, cards, large Kosmos box. There actually was an outline story told of the final confrontation (pivotal role by the Chosen of the Aqua) that I don't recall if it ever got published. Then Reiner designed the game (I don't know how close to final his first version was) and tested with his regular groups and I didn't see it until it was pretty much in its final form (just a few details to pin down).

On the Buka Invasion there is more to say, or was, I said it in a piece on my website (same link as the FAQ list). But that's more about mechanisms than theme, though theme comes into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This title is an evergreen for me. I had not had it out recently and my twins (15), who are currently not playing many games with me, wanted to play several games of this. They were both commenting on how the art was really immersive for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
This title is an evergreen for me. I had not had it out recently and my twins (15), who are currently not playing many games with me, wanted to play several games of this. They were both commenting on how the art was really immersive for them.

That's awesome. I recently brought this on vacation where my girlfriend and I were sharing a cabin with 2 other couples. I brought a LOT of games, including some much newer, "hotter" titles. This game was the overwhelming favorite. There's just something about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.