Subject: Elephant Rampage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for not being able to find this in the FAQ, but regarding an elephant rampage:

When forced to retreat the elephant unit attacks each adjacent unit (friend or foe) w/ 2 dice. Each adjacent unit also gets an attack on the elephant.

Here are my questions:

1/ I assume this is resolved one adjacent unit at a time; if after the first rampage attack the elephant is destroyed, that ends the rampage as well as the elephant

2/ in their attacks upon the elephant, do the adjacent units also role 2 dice, or do they role their normal number of attack dice? If the latter, what would heavy chariots use - 3 or 4 dice?

3/ must friendly units who are attached by a rampaging elephant attack back, or may they choose to take the punishment without fighting back?

4/ is rampage combat like ordinary combat or is it simultaneous? Meaning, if an elephant unit destroys an adjacent unit, does that unit still get to fight back? Or, as in ordinary combat, is this precluded?

5/ during a rampage, I imagine retreats rolled against the adjacent units cause them to retreat. What about retreats rolled against the elephants during the fight back - do they have any effect?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each adjacent unit do not attack or battleback during the elephant during the rampage, they (friend and foe) only take Casualties and retreats. Professor X you are over thinking it just a little bit .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, there is no 'battle back' after the elephant rolls its 2 dice per adjacent unit for rampage. The elephant rolls but the unit does not roll back.

So there is no way the elephant will destroy himself by rampaging and the fact that there is no battle back answers the rest of your questions.

Cheers and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When forced to retreat, the elephant unit attacks each adjacent unit (friend or foe) with 2 dice. The adjacent units do not get to attack the elephant during the rampage. After the elephant rampage attacks are made against each adjacent unit the elephant retreats. If it can't retreat, the units blocking the retreat take additional losses. From page 11 of the 2005 rules booklet

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Wow - I totally misunderstood.

From the rules:
"An elephant, when it retreats, goes on a Rampage before it is moved back. All units and any leaders who are alone in adjacent hexes (friend and foe) must check to see if they are trampled. (This can include the attacker who prompted the Rampage!) Roll two dice for each adjacent hex with a unit or a lone leader. During a rampage, your opponent rolls for hits on your units, and you roll for hits on his units."

That last part, "your opponent rolls for hits on your units," I thought referred to the ELEPHANT unit making the attack.

Thanks a lot guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thanks again for setting me straight on this.
How would you resolve this situation:

An elephant unit rampages. One of its adjacent units is another elephant. His two dice rolls against that elephant unit yields (you've guessed it) a flag. Before attempting to retreat, that elephant rampages, no? Depending on where the first elephant unit ended up, it might still be adjacent to this 2nd elephant unit. Thus, the 2nd elephant unit could inflict damage upon the first in this particular situation, no? (And if both their retreats are blocked, this could on for a little while, back and forth until one unit is destroyed or until retreat becomes possible and ends the adjacent positioning.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Thanks again for setting me straight on this.
How would you resolve this situation:

An elephant unit rampages. One of its adjacent units is another elephant. His two dice rolls against that elephant unit yields (you've guessed it) a flag. Before attempting to retreat, that elephant rampages, no? Depending on where the first elephant unit ended up, it might still be adjacent to this 2nd elephant unit. Thus, the 2nd elephant unit could inflict damage upon the first in this particular situation, no? (And if both their retreats are blocked, this could on for a little while, back and forth until one unit is destroyed or until retreat becomes possible and ends the adjacent positioning.)

Only colours hit on rampage rolls.....the flag would have no effect.

The rampage is a special case.....it does not follow the rules of regular melee combat. Roll 2 dice for each unit, inflict hits if there's a colour match, retreat the Elephant, and done.

Page 15 Living Rules:

Quote:
During a rampage, your opponent rolls for hits on your units, and you roll for hits on his units. A hit is scored when the symbol rolled matches the unit type. A leader helmet will eliminate a lone leader. If the leader is not hit on the rampage roll he must evade. All other symbols are ignored.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And where is the safest place for a leader to be during an elephant rampage?

Attached to the unit of rampaging elephants, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

An elephant unit rampages. One of its adjacent units is another elephant.
You learn quickly to give your own elephants a wide berth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The key word is rampage "check", not "attack". Is exactly like the leader casualty check, you roll dice and check symbols, not an attack at all (no flags, no battle back). Or like the marsh casualty check, when you'll get to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rampage back!!! I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question OP: Do you have the latest rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
First off, there is no 'battle back' after the elephant rolls its 2 dice per adjacent unit for rampage. The elephant rolls but the unit does not roll back.

So there is no way the elephant will destroy himself by rampaging and the fact that there is no battle back answers the rest of your questions.

Cheers and enjoy!
Hang on, what about if the elephant can't retreat?

"If the defending unit was unable to fulfill a required retreat, it may Battle Back as long as it still has one or more blocks remaining on the battlefield after taking losses (see Retreat)."

Edit: never mind, I misread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls