Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: [OCTGN] Accessing Agendas from Archives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lying in bed just now and thinking about Netrunner (I don't normally but I know there are some people that do this a lot! ) when I thought of this query. I haven't been able to sleep so I've literally just nipped out of bed to come see if anyone has an answer, thus I haven't had the chance to test this so it may be that OCTGN handles this just fine already.

Imagine for a moment that you are in a game against Jinteki: PE, you have scored 2 points and you have 2 cards remaining in hand AFTER playing the Datasucker mentioned below.

For your first click this turn then you just played a Datasucker so that you can break a Chummed Neural Katana you know is sitting on [HQ/R&D/Remote Server]. However you need to run Archives a few times to build up the necessary virus tokens. Archives is undefended and you hit F8 to get started and, after declaring success with F3, you blithely hit "Yes" to access, even though you don't entirely care what's in there, it's just a perk of the run to get the extra information.

On access, OCTGN surprises you by popping up an agenda steal box, it's False Lead. The Corp has been naughty and tried to hide it's agendas from you! Seeing as you must steal any agendas you access (Red Herrings/Fetal AI cost aside) you jubilantly click "Liberate" and get a point. You're down to 1 card. You mentally prepare a jocular jibe about the Corp's inability to bring it's evil plans to fruition.

Moment's later, another box! Another False Lead, the Corp really has been tardy with it's agenda scoring, maybe their hand was full? You steal it and go up to 5 points but down to 0 cards.

You're on a roll, another pop-up! It's False Lead again and, being forced to steal it, you then remember that PE's ability just flatlined you a point short of winning, oh well.

The game goes through the win/loss procedure, however OCTGN continues to offer your additional accesses (if you have them in the case of HQ/R&D) after you win/lose, and so you discover that there was also a Nisei Mk. II in the discard and if you'd stolen that as the third accessed agenda, instead of the third False Lead, you would have reached 7 points BEFORE PE's ability killed you.

Of course, this problem never arises in live play because the rules say, upon choosing to accessing Archives then you turn all face-down cards, face-up and then rifle through and access in the order of your choice. Obviously you would pick the larger point agendas first.

So my pondering really leads to wanting to know how OCTGN selects which agendas to present to you if they're in Archives and there are a few of them. Upon accessing and turning the face-down cards face-up does it then add the face-down cards (agendas in this scenario) to the top (or bottom) of the discard (as it wouldn't be able to preserve the order of discard like you can in live games) and then present you with the agendas in the order they appear in there? Or does it check for big point agendas and offer you them first before smaller point ones?

As a side point, this whole query is something of a non-issue because when OCTGN allows you to access that additional agenda then you can liberate it and it'll give you a pop-up asking if you'd like to change the results to a win for you. You can do this and then explain to your opponent that you would have won had you been allowed to view Archives properly, whether they agree or shout at you instead is their choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but in real life, you'd have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could make it so that you get a list of all the agendas in the archives and then you can use a menu to score them in the order you want, but that's just such a rare-case scenario that it's not worth the effort so much, especially when you can use the 'bypass' option later

If you are expecting such a scenario, one option is to look into the archives before accessing and re-arrange the agendas in the order you'd like to score them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there ever a time it would be to the Runner's advantage to steal an agenda worth fewer points first? As in, would having OCTGN sort to put the highest-valued agendas first be sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls